1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried modding a Sony SA-WX700?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jon_ad, Dec 6, 2003.

1. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

I have seen people talk about the polyfill mod for the WM40, anyone try it with the WX700?

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

You would need to make sure that the placement of the stuffing does not block the port or interfere with the operation of the lower driver.

3. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I think because of it's forward and bottom firing woofers it would be tough to do. I have that sub and am actually pretty impressed with it. As long as you don't turn on the boost it is a fairly clean sub that plays pretty loud. It will shake the pictures on my wall, turned up to about 11 o clock. Not to bad for a sub I paid 230 bucks for.

4. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

ditto. The only mod that i would think about doing is adding a horizontal brace to the box to make it stiffer and more rigid. The mod that i was thinking about is having 2 of the subs, and then screwing each other together, then cover them with some mdf to make it look like one unit, then use PE cherry vinyle to make it look all nice, heck, then it will be a 500 watts quad 10". LOL.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Has anyone actually been inside one of the 700?

I ask because it is quite heavy considering it's size. It's a small sub in terms of your average HT sub.

Weighing in at aprox 61-62 pounds, it seems to be no light weight in terms of size to weight ratio. I doubt it's 2-10" drivers weigh 20 pounds apiece either.

Considering the price and the spl it seems capable of, pretty good deal most budget owners have reported.

I would agree that if possible, some type of additional bracing would most lkely be the biggest benifit. Some 1 to 1-1/2" hardwood dowls (glued in) might be finagled inside to give it a little better bracing. Add little poly fill to make up for lost volume due to the brace/s may be in order also. Obviously keeping it clear of any porting inside the cabinet.

Regards
    Geoff

6. Benihana

To answer your question, i opened up the 700 2 days ago and had a look at the internals. The bottom woofer is actually half way into the cabinet, it kinda loox small inside, but i guess its supposed to be designed that way. It loox to be made up of MDF and particle board.Although the construction is good, the bracing is something i wouldn't brag about. I don't think the bracing it comes with does anything at all. I think a nice brace with some polyfill will really bring this sub to a higher level that could rival more expensive models. And this unit does not weigh 62lbs, it is 53lbs, thats what it says in the manual. The amp itself is big and weighs as much as a woofer, and the woofers have some big magnets. With that extra brace, i think we may have a heir to the ol' WM40, although, in a class higher.

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I was just going by the stated weight at the Sony site and every other place that states a weight. Nothing about shipping weight stated, but obviously that is where the 61-lbs comes from. :b

Still at the subs size, impressive weight for what most would consider an entry or slighty above powered sub.

Supposedly it's a push pull design, with some type of porting....
    Never seeing one in person, can only go by my DIY knowledge which is what the sub appears to be, to me....

And no matter the weight, a ridged cabinet can do nothing but help, this as long as it's internal volume stays "close" to the same when one is finished bracing & stuffing.

8. Benihana

i hear you brotha, and its not ported, its a sealed design, which makes it cleaner than others. Weight is still impressive for the size. I'm gonna wait for others to mod their sub before i start, cuz i don't exactly know how to make a brace lol. I only use mine for HT, so output is most important for me.

9. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

Would glueing some ceramic tyle's to the sides work as well as wood braces?

I was thinking of doing that to mine. What would you guys recommend?

10. Benihana

i have no clue if tiles would do anything other than just eat up space.

11. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

Someone told me they did that to there's. It sounds like it would make the enclosure stronger.

I ask because for me it would be easier to go that route. Than to make some brace's, as I'm not very good with wood.

I have the sawm500 btw. I have had it for a couple of months. Did the fiber-fill long ago, but figured if it wouldn't hurt, I may aswell try it.

12. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

so has anyone done any heavy modding to this yet?