What's new

Anyone think Pearl Harbor DTS track too quiet? (1 Viewer)

Brian Lipszyc

Auditioning
I just popped in my Pearl Harbor last night, and decided to compare the DD and DTS tracks, and have to say that I was quite disappointed in the DTS track. It almost seemed as if I was watching the movie with earmuffs on.

I thought maybe my system needed to be re-calibrated, but I popped in JP1 and T2, and everything sounded as it should have.

It has been a while since I've seen the movie in the theater, so perhaps I just don't remember it being so quiet. Could I have a bad disc? or should it be this quiet. The DD track sounded better than the DTS track, but was also quieter than expected.

What does everyone else think?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
No, while watching it (during the attack) my wife couldn't hear me and we were only 3 feet from each other. This was at normal reference level set by Video Essentials. I can't vouch for the second disc though, as we weren't compelled to move on to the second disc. It's just not a good movie.

Luis A

Second Unit
Brian,
I thought both 5.1 tracks were mixed well on the PH DVD. I know what you mean though, PH seemed to be more laid back out of the new releases (JP3,RH2,even POTA) but overall the mix is still well done.
Between DD and DTS there wasn't much of a difference between the two. I played both several times and thought both were too quite. I guess after watchng SPR in DTS so many times maybe thats what we've come to expect from DTS with this kind of movie. :)
L

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Brian,

I think you're dead on. I just got mine in the mail today and was expecting to like the dts better. Not always but more times than not I would give dts a slight edge. But it did sound muffled compared to the DD track. On my system the LFE from DD nearly tore me off the couch and the music score sounded more airy and full. These are things I usually say about dts.

My gear:

Pioneer DVD 414

Pioneer Elite THX VSX-26 Reciever

NHT VS-2's for LCR

Paradigm monitors for surrounds

Velodyne ULD-18 subwoofer

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Actually,this is one of the best mixes I've heard lately[I only sampled the DTS].The dialog was very clear,and the dynamics were just plain awesome,you didn't have to "turn on the subtitle" to understand what the people say during the attack scene,unlike the very popular WWII drama,[something about a private?:)]

Anyhow,No I'm not dishing SPR,however this was a very good mix,clearly among the best to date.YMMV

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
unlike the very popular WWII drama,[something about a private?]
Intentional, IMO. I don't think that the enemy would have stopped shelling just because someone wants to say something that is better shown than spoken.

ach, I love Spielberg's movies. (flame away) Anyway, back on topic. Pearl Harbor is on it's way, so I'll report back after watching the movie.

Robert George

Screenwriter
The DTS track on the Pearl Harbor is a few dB lower in overall level than the Dolby track. This, as best I can tell, is the only real difference. If one is not adjusting for this level difference, simply switching from one to the other without adjusting volume, then the DTS track will likely be interpreted as having less "impact", less "sparkle", less of a "holosonic soundfield". On the other hand, if one has not compared the two soundtracks and has only listened to the DTS, then this is not an issue.

Try turning up the volume on the DTS track 3 or 4 dB then turn the volume back down for the Dolby track. All will be right in the world.

YANG

Screenwriter
The dts track sounds just fine to me,except that i have to crank up the volume a bit to bring the center channel to the reference level.As i had already stated in my view of the PEARLHARBOR dts audio,the dialogue is abnormally low...

There is never a quiet moment in this track.

Brett_V

Grip
I only listened to the DTS track, so I cant compare. But I have to say that the sound was as good as any DVD rented to date on my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks