Anyone talking about the Sony PSP UMD Movie Discs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ed Speir IV, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Ed Speir IV

Ed Speir IV Stunt Coordinator

I picked up my PSP last night at midnight and am very impressed. The system is fantastic.

As most may know, the system also plays movies on Sony's UMD discs. My PSP came with a free version of Spider-Man 2 and I must say the quality rivals my $ 800 Toshiba portable DVD player. It is simply amazing on the 4.3 inch screen.

However, there is one HUGE downside - the PSP screen ratio is 1.78:1 and the Spider-Man 2 movie (which I believe is 2.35:1) is cropped to fit the screen. I'm sure this is to avoid the "black bar" syndrome and I have a feeling that all movies released on the PSP wider than 1.78:1 will be cropped. Very bad business IMO.

Anyone wondering about the video quality on this system should not worry. I really bought the PSP to play games, but now that I've seen the quality of the UMD video, I may pickup HellBoy and a few others.

2. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

How does it look through a regular TV screen? Is there a video output on the PSP?

3. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Is this a taste of things to come (HD-DVD, Blu-Ray)?

4. Ed Speir IV

Ed Speir IV Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, there is not a video output on the PSP, although I have heard rumors of an "add on" to be available in the future....

5. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

I heard these will cost the same as dvds, is that true? if so no thanks.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

It's a 4.3" screen, for heaven's sake. Movies weren't made to be watched on a PSP.

7. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Yes, they probably will be at DVD price level. Or rather, higher if you take into account how cheap alot of DVDs are now.

You can however rip your own DVDs to a Sony compliant video file and download it to your Memory Stick Duo. It won't play at native resolution (which the UMD does) but should look good. The whole native res thing is a ploy on Sony's part to push the UMD format.

8. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

The Sony PSP screen is not 4:3, it's 1.78:1. It is 4.3" diagonal though.

9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Spider=Man 2 was shot in Super 35. Are you sure the whole movie is cropped, or just the effects sequences?

10. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Exactly...I don't think OAR really should apply in the case of a PSP. We are not talking about a big widescreen TV here- the resolution of the film would suffer on such a tiny screen if Spiderman 2 were 2.35:1. Filling the entire screen in this case seems quite reasonable to me.

11. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

The world does not need a useless proprietary format.

DVD is a very portable format already and portable players are widely available.

PSP is game machine. Keep it that way!