What's new

Anyone talking about the Sony PSP UMD Movie Discs? (1 Viewer)

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up my PSP last night at midnight and am very impressed. The system is fantastic.

As most may know, the system also plays movies on Sony's UMD discs. My PSP came with a free version of Spider-Man 2 and I must say the quality rivals my $ 800 Toshiba portable DVD player. It is simply amazing on the 4.3 inch screen.

However, there is one HUGE downside - the PSP screen ratio is 1.78:1 and the Spider-Man 2 movie (which I believe is 2.35:1) is cropped to fit the screen. I'm sure this is to avoid the "black bar" syndrome and I have a feeling that all movies released on the PSP wider than 1.78:1 will be cropped. Very bad business IMO.

Anyone wondering about the video quality on this system should not worry. I really bought the PSP to play games, but now that I've seen the quality of the UMD video, I may pickup HellBoy and a few others.

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, there is not a video output on the PSP, although I have heard rumors of an "add on" to be available in the future....

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's a 4.3" screen, for heaven's sake. Movies weren't made to be watched on a PSP.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Yes, they probably will be at DVD price level. Or rather, higher if you take into account how cheap alot of DVDs are now.

You can however rip your own DVDs to a Sony compliant video file and download it to your Memory Stick Duo. It won't play at native resolution (which the UMD does) but should look good. The whole native res thing is a ploy on Sony's part to push the UMD format.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Spider=Man 2 was shot in Super 35. Are you sure the whole movie is cropped, or just the effects sequences?

Craig W

Second Unit
The world does not need a useless proprietary format.

DVD is a very portable format already and portable players are widely available.

PSP is game machine. Keep it that way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks