Anyone switching HDTV through Denon 3802??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil T, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Phil T

Phil T Agent

I know the Denon 3802 only has 27 mHz bandwidth for video switching (vs 50 mHz). It is certainly adequate for 480p as I see no degradation of my 480p signal from my Panny RP-91 to my Sony 65" Widescreen HDTV (based on AVIA test patterns).

However, there seems to be considerable "theoretical" debate regarding it's ability to pass 1080i or 720p signals w/o softening of the picture. Is anybody actually switching either of these HDTV signals through a Denon 3802 (or 3801 or 2802 for that matter) and can they please comment on the resulting image quality??

Thanks.

2. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I do not switch my HDTV component signal through my 3802.

3. Dan Marchewka

Dan Marchewka Stunt Coordinator

I have been switching my Panny H1000 and my Hughes Titan E86 HD box through the Denon since I received it a few months ago. There is a little softening of the picture in HDTV but not enough to warrant not running it through the receiver as it is much more convenient. Other people may say the softening is too much but that will be up to you to decide. Do a quick comparison using the same cables running it into the Denon and into the TV to see which one you like better.

Dan

4. Phil T

Phil T Agent

Dan,

I agree that the convenience of switching through the receiver is huge. What monitor are you using? I expect that the larger the screen, the more obvious the loss of detail. Also, do you notice a difference between 720p and 1080i? I've heard that 27 mHz is adequate for 1080i, but not 720p (some softening).

Matt,

Could you elaborate a bit on your setup and why you chose not to switch through the Denon.

Thanks gents.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

27mhz is not adequate for 1080i. You need at least 37mhz.

6. Phil T

Phil T Agent

I realize that 37 mHz is the calculated video bandwidth for 1080i, but I've also heard that most systems are unlikely to be able to resolve the image beyond the 27 mHz of the 3802
    I've also read Allan Jayne's material here:
    http://hometown.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    This prompted me to inquire about people's real world experiences switching HDTV through the 3802. I am hoping to pick up HDTV by satellite soon, and I'm wondering whether to also negotiate for a higher bandwidth video switcher (Extron, etc.) with the package...

7. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure how much more the Extron unit will cost you but have considered stepping up to the 4802? Denon say's it's good up to 50 MHz.

8. Matt Taylor

Phil,

I have a Pioneer SD-532-HD5 and when an HD channel is tuned the TV shows a freq of 31.5 kHz. I know the Denon can only pass at 27, so I bypass it to not degrade the picture. My Pioneer has two HD component inputs on the back, and my HDTV tuner goes into one and my Elite DV-37 goes into the other, so right now I don't need to do any switching.

Matt

9. Phil T

Phil T Agent

Although I think the 4802 is a great piece, the extra $1500 is way beyond the price of a decent HDTV video switcher, and the additional features beyond the 3802 are not significant enough for me. I think it's sad that Denon chose not to use the same component video switch in the 3802 as the 4802. I just hope the difference in image is not very obvious...

10. Phil T

Phil T Agent

Thanks Matt. That's a great DVD/DTV combo. If you ever have the time, would you be able to do an A/B test and post back regarding your opinion on the switch performance? I would certainly appreciate it, and I'm sure other interested 3802 owners would also.

Thanks.

11. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

I have run both my Mitsu HD receiver and my Xbox straight to my 65907 and through my 3801. I would challenge anyone to show me a difference. In other words, looks fine.

12. Dan Marchewka

Dan Marchewka Stunt Coordinator

I have a Mitsubishi WS55807. I did notice a slight difference hooking straight into the TV with HDNet on baseball and hockey. I didn't notice any difference on HBO HD or any other programming on HDNet. With so little HD programming out there (no local HD for me), I just decided the convenience was worth the minimal loss of signal.

Dan

13. Phil T

Phil T Agent

We're talking some seriously big HDTV's here, and you're all saying the differences are small or non-existent...now that's making me feel more confident! I realize this is just subjective, but that's an important consideration to me. Thanks.

14. Steve Tack

Steve Tack Agent

15. Matt Taylor

Steve,

You're absolutely right, sorry about the misinformed post.

Phil,

I will do an A/B tonight when I get home and post the results, you've got me curious!!

Matt