What's new

Anyone study military technology? (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Ever since I was young I've always been interested in different forms of military technology such as armor, submarines, helicopters, airpower, etc... I also started a nice collection of military photographs that are hanging in my office at work. Among my favorites are a picture of a Russian Mi-24 Hind flying in Afghanistan back in the 1980s that my uncle took right before it was shot down. (Yes the US military was over there ) Another cool pic is a seawolf sub being constructed.

I guess since I got digital cable recently the Discovery Wings channel has become a favorite of mine.
Anyone else into this kinda stuff?

Jeff

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I used to be, with emphasis on military aviation.
Also, WWII for me is a hobby in itself - not just the military stuff, but everything about it from diplomacy to everyday life in say, occupied europe.
I have lost interest in the last couple of year however. I don't know why... :frowning: I hope to gain it back some day. Gotta go back and do some reading.
--
Holadem

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Heck I used to build that stuff for a living from 1977 - 1993. There's stuff I designed in a lot of those things.

Right now I'm collecting the rifles of the various powers involved in WWI and WWII. Just got a nice 1939 Erfurt arsenal K98k Mauser marked with swastikas which was then captured by the Russians on the Eastern Front. I guess that's a happy ending..... (Russia is currently selling off warehouses full of collectable rifles stored in grease all through the cold war.) I'm in the middle of restoring a 1917 No. 1 mk. III Enfield arsenal SMLE as we speak. Marked with the crown, George Rex, etc. This is a fine adjunct to my study of the history of WWI and WWII, plus it's great to have the right rifle to hold during various war movies....gets you into the picture as it were.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I am enamored of military technology. And I just can't get enough of the forthcoming F-22 Raptor and the Joint Strike Fighter. Nor of the current F/A-18 Hornet.

This, from a hippie.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Keep the posts coming.

Jack: I recently heard that the f-22 is coming real close to being cut. Apparently Congress is starting to think we don't need it.
What are your thoughts on Russian aircraft? I'm a big fan of the Mig-29 and Su-27.

Dennis: Where you an engineer for one of the big contractors like Lockheed?

Jeff

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Military aviation buff. :emoji_thumbsup:
BTW, the U.S. military wasn't in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation, but the CIA was funneling cash and arms to the Mujahadeen. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of the Mig-29 and Su-27.
I am a huge fan of the Su-27/33. It is the sexiest aircraft in the air today. I like the russian philosophy that seems to rely less on the latest tech gizmo and more on the pilot's flying abilities - you don't want to be in a dogfight with one of those. But then again, the US has perfected the art of Beyond Visual Range combat so we are unlikely to get into such situations in the first place... or are we? The F4 in vietnam comes to mind.

--
Holadem

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Always loved it, particularly military aviation, and particularly World War II era "Warbirds".

Living and working near Dobbins AFB (home of Lockheed-Martin) here in Atlanta, I've seen some cool stuff. When the US was preparing its campaign against Afghanistan, I frequently saw B1-B bombers flying into and out of Dobbins. They're based out of Warner Robbins and were probably stopping off at Dobbins before the trip over to the Mid East.

The US spy plane that collided with a Chinese fighter a year or so ago was also brought to Dobbins. It was flown in in crates, re-assembled at Lockheed, refitted and then put back into service.

The Joint Strike Fighter is also being built and tested here, I expect it won't be long before those will be seen in the skies frequently.

Sometimes it can also be a little unnerving. Yesterday on the way home, on a busy interstate that passes near Dobbins, I was driving along and all of a sudden a C5 Galaxy came right across my field of view, banking way to the left and moving -very- slowly. I mean it was _low_, probably no more than a few hundred feet. It was painted light gray or white with a pinstripe down the side, not in normal gray or green. For that one second when I first saw it, I thought it was a commercial airliner, and there's -no- reason for a commercial airliner to be flying in that fashion in that area. The airport is miles and miles away. Just freaked me out for a split second. The C5 is so frickin' huge, too.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Michael, That's what I thought too. Come to find out my uncle was in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation in the 1980's and he was US Army. I believe his specialty was Soviet Armor retrieval or something. He was the one that snapped the picture of the Mi-24 Hind. It took him years to admit where he got the picture from but he finally confessed that it was afghanistan. He then followed up saying that "It went down shortly after that picture was taken".

Holadem: Have you ever checked out the su-37? I don't think it has entered production yet but that thing can pull manuevers that I doubt anyone can match.

Jeff

CharlesD

Screenwriter
is the SU-37 the SU-27 variant with the canards and "glass cockpit"? those things are cool! The "Cobra" maneuver is spectacular especially with a plane that size.

IS the JSF still going to have a VTOL variant? The Harrier/AV8-B is one of my favorite fighter aircraft.

John Mar

Auditioning
Study military technology, hell I help build the damn things. I'm currently working at Electric Boat and worked on the Virginia, the San Antonio, and I'm currently working on CVNX.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ooohhh.. I'm a Tornado F3 fan, probably because I work on the software on it... We have worked on the F-22, the JSF, and other projects through the years as a contractor.
On the US side, I've always loved F-16's and the Falcon 4.0 sim. when I used to play a lot on my PC.
Jay

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I've always been a nut for the F-14 and the Harrier jump jet (I don't recall the model number). I also like the M1 Abrams tank. :emoji_thumbsup: VERY cool toy.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
John, Are you guys actually starting the CVNX? I didn't think they would be starting them so soon. Besides the Virginia class of subs are there any more seawolf subs planned?

Jeff

KyleS

Screenwriter
I recently heard that the f-22 is coming real close to being cut. Apparently Congress is starting to think we don't need it.
I have heard that they were going to expand on this plane and make a F22-B Bomber to replace the aging B-2's. Higher flight capability, more weapon cargo space, & more maneuverable. The F-22B early designs looked the same just with swept back wings for added weapon and fuel storage. Very cool I love the technology and design that goes into these too.

KyleS

KyleS

Screenwriter
Since when are the B-2's "aging"? It's only been in service for less than a decade.
Since they have been around awhile longer then 10 years and it was going to take another 5 or more before the F-22B series would be out. The main reason I believe for them talking about moving away from the B-2's was the difference in technology between the 2 plains and for the plane to have some kind of defense.

KyleS

Michael*K

Screenwriter
The B-2's first flight was in 1989 and it entered service at Whitman in December, 1993 (less than 9 years ago.) Both it and the F-22 are completely different planes. The F-22 is an air superiority fighter and the B-2 is a strategic bomber with an intercontinental range.

VinT

Agent
I used to be totally into military aircraft when I was younger. Books, posters and especially plastic models. I remember my dad bought me the F-19 'Stealth' model. I thought it was the coolest thing. Of course when the F-117 was revealed it looked nothing like it. I also got a V-22 Osprey model. Well this thing is still not in service and I doubt it ever will.

I also share the strange facination with Russian aircraft. The SU-27 is a beautiful plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks