Anyone still using their Sony DVP300s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ken thompson, Jan 10, 2002.

1. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I'm still using this old thing and it performs flawlessly. I hear various problems with many of the newer players, but this old thing has been a pure delight.

2. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Glad to hear you are having great luck with your Sony 300.

I had a Sony 3000 that was a stripped Sony 7000. I still regret selling it. I replaced it with a Sony 360 which is already starting to fail after 1.5 years of use. I am starting to get the dreaded C:13:00 error message which appears to be a common problem for this line of Sonys.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

My 3 year old DVP300 is still working fine. I have been thinking of replacing, since this one does not pass DTS. It has been difficult convincing my wife I need a new DVD player since this one is working fine.

I am in a real dilemma as to what to purchase. I have been looking at the Sony 500 with SACD or Toshiba 4700 with DVD-A and progressive scan. I don't need progressive scan now, but might help to convince the wife. Any opinions on DVD players in the $250 - $300 range?

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Does the self-calibration in the service menu of these failing Sony's help?

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've still got a 3000 that works great. Its not getting as much use now that I've added a Malata and a Panny RA60, but I keep the Sony around because its always been so reliable.

Of course, there's the nostalgia value of it also. I bought this first gen player back in January of 1998. And in those days we didn't have your fancy schmancy DTS and we liked it that way! SACD and DVD-A? No sir! We had our DD 5.1 and we were more than happy!

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I moved our DVP-300 to the master bedroom when I upgraded to a DTS-capable player a couple of years ago. We only have a Dolby Pro Logic receiver and two speakers (plus an old cheap subwoofer) in the bedroom, so the lack of DTS support was not an issue. Also, the DVP-300 replaced a CD player, and this older player has dual lasers, so it can play CD-R discs. The player still works like a champ.

7. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

My four year old Sony DVP-S3000 is still going strong as my main player (I don't have a DTS receiver, either). I have both an Apex and a Malata as region-free players, but nothing beats my 3000 for reliability. It has only ever had trouble with 2 DVD's, and that seems pretty good considering what I have read about other DVD players over the years.

8. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Jim,

The calibration did not work on my first try, but a second try did the trick. I believe that this will only work short term though. The errors started when the player was about a year old. It has not become unusable, but I think the laser assembly in this line is crap. I wonder if Panasonic gave Sony a deal on their leftover assemblys from the Ax10 line.

I might be upgrading to that new Progressive unit a lot sooner than I was planning.

9. Keith Mickunas

Scott, which two did you have trouble with? Mine has only had trouble with two discs also. First was Seven Samurai, with which it will sometimes not recognize the disc, however once it does it plays with no trouble. The second was Magnificent Seven (strange coincidence, isn't it?) which caused problems at the layer change. The player freezes for a few seconds, and then jumps ahead, basically its reading the disc for a few seconds, just not displaying it. I haven't tried it again to see if it was just dirty or something though.

Other than that, its handled every problematic disk without any trouble. DVD-9, DVD-18, seamless branching, The Matrix, they just don't phase it.

10. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Keith,
    Godzilla - (horrible Broderick version) which I had to insert/eject like 20 times before it would read it.
    Frequency - Wouldn't read it at all.
    I must confess, I have never tried either of the 2 discs you mentioned - maybe I'm a little too pedestrian in my tastes! [​IMG]
    Still, all things considered, I wouldn't sell it for what I paid new for it back then ($600), I love it so much.

11. Keith Mickunas

Scott, I played the same Godzilla too, it worked fine. Personnally I enjoyed the movie myself.

Its amazing how glitch free this first gen player is. I'm definitely keeping this one. If nothing else, it will make a decent CD transport on a second system. And if one of my others breaks, it will be there.

12. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I bought mine in December 1998, and it's still my only player. It'd be nice to be able to pass DTS with it, but I've been very happy with it. Down the line it may get a brother. That Malata multi-region player has definitely piqued my interest.

13. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

My 1st generation 3000 still works fine and has the least problem as compared to a Toshiba 2109 I gave away earlier. That said I recently have trouble with an ALL code disc from HK (Shaolin Soccer) which my Apex 600A took in fine. I guess the Sony must be getting old afterall. [​IMG]
    Btw, Scott, my 3000 still have trouble taking Godzilla every so often but the 'laser alignment' routine so far always takes care of the problem.
    PF

14. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I guess mine must be the 330 or something because it does pass DTS. I guess this would be considered second gen. At any rate it has never missed a beat at all ever.

15. Merconium

Merconium Agent

My late 1998 330 has tons of hours on it and it only had to go to the shop once (some ic burned out.) Very pleased.

16. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Yes, the 3000 is the one with DD only. It works just fine with my DD only Onkyo 939 receiver till I added the Millennium decoder & the Toshiba, Apex later for their DTS capability but quality wise the Sony beats them hands down. With the rate other brands of older players falling by the way side (esp the Panny's defective laser pickup) I think we should have a Sony's oddies club & compare manufactured dates. [​IMG]
    PF

17. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

18. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

My 300 is still going strong, and the still the best sounding digital source in my system. It won't beat the MMF-5, but I've had over 5 trouble-free, every DVD played without a hitch years!

I just wish it could pass DTS. I got a taste with LDs and my oh my....it is very delicious. Beats DD IMO. The 300 will continue to be the main player until either the TW56D90 craps out (almost 7 years and counting), or the 300 itself blows up.

NOTE: It plays CDs CDR CDRW or DVDs all day long almost every day. Built like a tank. Like a car from the 1950's.

19. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

20. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I gave mine to may sister last year when I upgraded to the dts capable DVP-560. The 300 is going fine after 3 1/2 years of good use.