Anyone still making new laserdisk players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hello,

First I should ask if any manufacture is still making new laserdisk players? When I checked the manufactures web page and retailers I get nothing.

I started collecting laserdisk in 1991 and my library has grown to over 400 titles. I still have all 400 of them and every single one of them is in perfect shape. I also have many box sets that cost me alot of money and are very enjoyable.

The problem is my laserdisk players are all failing because they all have alot of hours. My Pioneer CLD-D505 has been in the shop for weeks. It has a problem with the power supply and is totally dead. When I opened it up the fuse was blown. When I replace the fuse it blows again the second you plug it in. The shop replaced the power supply and it worked for 2 minutes and then the fuse blew again. They ordered another power supply and will need to look further at the problem. I hate to see what the repair bill is going to be. My Pioneer CLD-2080 is still working but the display is very dim and it likes to freeze when it changes sides. The only way to fix it is to unplug it from the wall. My third laserdisk player a Pioneer CLD-S201 the display is so dark you can hardly read it. It for now is still working.

Since Christmas I have been thinking about buying a new laserdisk player. I know the disk are no longer being made but I thought at least Pioneer would still manufacture one or two models of players. Afterall many people have huge libraries and it is not like the disk will fail like magnetic tape. A few years ago Pioneer made a combination DVD/LD player I figured that is exactly what I wanted.

I feel kind of cheated because I spent so much money on LD and Pioneer does not even make any players anymore. In fact I am not a lawyer but one would think Pioneer could even be sued for no longer making players for it. I know it was a niche market but a fairly large one. Before 1996 it was all LD if you wanted a nice home theater set up. Please Pioneer make a laserdisk player for us people with large libraries.

Chris

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, the only laserdisc player still being marketed in North America that I am aware of is the Pioneer DVL-919. It plays DVDs as well as laserdiscs. Crutchfield and J&R Music World have it, and some other authorized dealers may as well. Finding it at a brick-and-mortar is going to be tough, but at least you can get it by mail. J&R also still has the Pioneer DVL-V888 laserdisc/karaoke player, though it has been discontinued.

You should be able to find quality used players on eBay and this site as people continue to move to DVD as their first choice for movies. In fact, I saw an auction on eBay that ended last week for a brand new Pioneer Elite CLD-79 laserdisc player that was in a sealed box. The '79 is an owner model, so a new one is a rare find, but you never know what you will find on eBay. Best of luck.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I believe that J&R offers a Pioneer DVL-919 combi-DVD/LD players for sale, and a Pioneer Karaoke DVLV888 LD player. Do a search in the TV/video section for "Laserdisc" and "Karaoke".

4. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

>> I believe that J&R offers a Pioneer DVL-919 combi-DVD/LD players for sale, and a Pioneer Karaoke DVLV888 LD player

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you can find anyone still selling a DV-909, it's only a few drops of solder to region-free land [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

6. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I also have a large LD collection and worried about what might happen once my LD player finally quit working. If you are really interested in a new player, you might want to look into importing a Japanese-only LD player. Pioneer has still been making LD players the last few years, including some models that are reported to be better than anything ever released here. I went ahead and bought an LD-only Pioneer LD-S9, which is a better player than the Pioneer CLD-703 that I already had. The LD-S9 does not play CD, so I'm counting on it to be more robust than my earlier player. An LD-S9 is more expensive than the DVL-919 or Elite DVD-91, but not by much. I think mine was $1550 with international shipping when I bought it last summer. If you are interested, you may want to go over to AVS Forum and post a question. Somebody there will be able to help you track one down.

Good luck with your search.

7. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    The LD-S9 is still in the Pioneer catalog in Japan and can be seen in major electronics stores. I have this model and it is a very fine LD player. I also still have my LD collection of about 600 discs.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Definitely check out the Pioneer units that J&R has. The 888 Karaoke machine is probably more heavy duty than the 919, since LD has been a staple of Karaoke for years. Those machines are ususally built pretty well I would think, like Pioneer's DJ CD players.

9. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Theta is still making the Voyager. They say they will continue to make it as long as there is demand. This is as of two months ago. It is pretty expensive though.

rw

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

How do you make the DVL-909 a region free DVD player? I have one of those units.

11. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Stacy, or anyone else for that matter,

What are your feelings on the CLD 703? To my knowledge it is the exact same as the 704 without the AC3 out. I am wondering if the 704 then would yield any picture improvment over the 703. And how do these players compare to the Elite 79? I currently have an elite CLD 52 and would like to pick up another player. I am considering the 703, 704, or elite 79. AC3 out is not important to me, but I want the player with the best picture quality out of the three above. So any opinions on which to look for?

12. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

greg_t, I recently asked the same questions. According to the responses I got, the 703, 704, and 79 all have comparable picture quality. The 704 adds ac-3, and the 79 has a better build quality of top of that.

I looked for a long while at 704's and 79's on ebay, but I ended up getting a 703 from a forum member (thanks Jay!) for

13. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I had an AC3 RF output added to my 703, so from the things I've read, it is essentially a 704. At the time I bought it, there were several reviews that compared the 703/704 quite favorably to the Elite CLD-97 and LD-S2. That to me is a pretty good endorsement.

You may also try to post this same question over on AVS Forum. There are some bona fide LD nuts over there who would love to give you all the info you need. Of course, one of those nuts visits here quite often, so maybe Rachael will see this and chime in.

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Pioneer will officially stop making LD players next June. Daniel Law at te Chinese Club in Hong Kong is taking orders for LD players till 15 January. He can get the LD-S9's an HLD-X9's for you. The S9 is better than any U.S. model. The HLD-X9 is even better. These are the players that will maximize the LD experience. The S9 will go for around $1600, shipped. About $2600 for the X9. Exchange rates vary, thusly prices do too.
    ask Daniel for a quote:
    [email protected]
    The S9 is similar to the CLD-99 but with a better comb filter and better NTSC circuitry. The X9 is built on the old CLD-97 platform but with way better electronics, including Burr-Brown D/A's.
    Both players have Pioneer's best comb filter. It's hand-made. It proably adds $500 or more to the price. It's the same filter that is in the current crop of Elite TV's.
    I have one of both. To put it simply, THEY RULE! The Theta Voyager is no competition. The only U.S. LD player that might give them a run for the money is the ultra rare and expensive Runco LJR-1 & 2.
    All you need to use the Japanese players in the U.S. is a step-down transformer, $70 or less. Their diet is 100 volts, 50 or 60 cycles. If you have a large LD collection, these are the players that can tweek your image quality up. Don't waste time because time is running out. Best wishes from Laserland!

15. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

See, I told you Rachael would be here.

16. Jack Smith

Jack Smith Agent

go to goodguys.com, they have the pioneer 919 (new), for 9-hundred and change. The Goodguys is a major west coast walk-in, with a relatively new online operation. No taxes and shipping is included in the price. Good luck.

we are the borg...