What's new

Anyone still listening to LPs. I'll be doing it on the cheap this weekend! (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
So what is the frequency response of the Radio Shack phono pre-amp? I don't have a problem the batteries. I'd just get re-chargables.
It claims 20 - 20kHz. My sub doesn't go down to 20 Hz and I don't have any records to exercize it anyway. One track on my test record has a 25 Hz tone, and that was audible from my sub if I put my ear to it, so I know the RS preamp can pass that through. My sub is a weenie Sony SA-WM40, so I think that's the real weak link in my system for low frequency reproduction.
I had a 70's Pioneer receiver (SX-680) and I was using the phono stage in that, and the RS unit definitely has much better bass.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
What about "Linear" tracking turntables? Does this eliminate stylus misallignment if the stylus is aligned properly in a linear turntable?
I believe it eliminates tracking error, yes. On a "normal" tonearm, there will always be tracking error, and the point of alignment is to minimize the tracking error across the surface of the disc.
All of you should go read the FAQ on the Audio Asylum website :)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Great thread Keith. When I rearranged my HT, I didn't bother putting my Rotel tuntable back in. I'm going to put it back soon though after reading this. All of my records are second hand from relatives who've gone to CD.
Only problem at the moment is that my amp (Sony DB940) is about two metres away from where I can put the turntable. The turntable has fixed interconnects and earthing wire. Presumably I can extend these using a standard extension kit? If I like listening to vinyl a lot, I'll probably get a phono preamp - I suspect the one in the Sony isn't the greatest!
BTW that's a pretty awesome audio setup with all those CD players
biggrin.gif

------------------
My HT My DVD Collection
[Edited last by Darren_L on November 04, 2001 at 04:42 PM]

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Presumably I can extend these using a standard extension kit?
You could, but you must remember that a regular line level interconnect carries signals at about 2 volts, while a phono cable carries signals at about 2-5 millivolts. That's a thousand times less, so any sonic effects of your extension kit would get amplified a thousand times when compared to a regular interconnect.
I would recommend getting the Radio Shack $25 preamp, and running longer interconnects from its output (which is line level) to your Sony.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Where can I find a Shure V15-VMR needle cartridge??
The Needle Doctor has a great web site, but their prices aren't the greatest. Check out www.garage-a-records.com for much better prices. I've had good luck with their customer service too.
Also, if you get the full version of the Shure cartrdge, it comes with a gadget that helps you adjust azimuth and tracking angle correctly.
------------------

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
BruceD,
Thanks for more information on screw direction with cartridges. Much appreciated.
Saurav,
Good information about the need for a protractor and great links there. This has to be one of the most informative threads for me that I have encountered here.
You said:
HEY! This is revisionism! How can you stand for this!!!
Hey, I'm a perfectionist. What can I say?
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
A great source for cartridges, and particularly, styli, is www.needleexpress.com . I've used them for years to replace my needles.
My cartridge is circa 1986. Do you think I should replace it? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the magnetic coils may get a little fudged up over many years and much vibration.
Regarding P - versus standard - mount. I wish P-Mount would have become more of a standard. I know "audiophiles" like to poo-pooo P-mount, but I think it was a great idea. I don't trust myself to properly align a cartridge and P-mount makes it "plug-and-play" all the way.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
What really goes in old cartridges is the elastomer suspension that sort of cushions the stylus from the internal magnets or coils. When these dry out, the stylus refuses to track as it once had, and the resulting sound can be brittle or lifeless. For those draging out the old TT for a spin, be prepared to have to spring for a new cart, like the oft mentioned Grados, Sumikos, Shures, etc.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. I am in need of a new stylus but I think I may spring for a new cart instead this time.
Since there's so much information here I'm archiving this thread. :)
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on November 05, 2001 at 08:48 AM]

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great thread!
I have a Phase Linear 8000 linear-tracking table with a Audio Technica AT140LC cartridge. I have about 350 albums all in excellent shape. I also have about a dozen half speed mastered and a few digitally mastered albums.
Roger
------------------
System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS
Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable
Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk LS/FX Surrounds
Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Keith!
Run, don't walk, and get a 'table. I'm currently spinning PF's Animals, to be followed by some Eno, and I'm in heaven!
------------------
Q

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, my Sony turntable is set up and I'll probably use it tonight. It's not the greatest turntable in the world, but it is only a year old and has very, very low hours on it. Actually, I was quite pleased with the sound when I set it up on Friday. I picked up a new copy of Miles Davis Kind of Blue on vinyl for $10 over the weekend and I'll give it a spin tonight. It is a standard Sony issue, not one of the more expensive remastered reissues, so I don't know how it will sound. It is on 180-g vinyl at least.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

muskie

Agent
I've also gone to vinyl. I'm still working on going fully Home Theater as I almost exclusively listen to music. My mother has a whole bunch of old HiFi stuff collecting dust. A lot of it is junk, but the one thing I wanted to liberate was phonograph.
Turns out my dad bought a Thorens TD 160 back in the day. It was in sound mechanical shape so I brought it over and hooked it up to the phone stage of an older JVC receiver to see if it functioned. The needle on the cartridge seemed to be at an extreme angle and I'd read that you should replace old cartridges online so I went got a new one (Grado Black of course).
I also suffered from the no where to put the turn table near the receiver syndrome. I went the extension RCA route as I had to put the TT somewhere accessible and it ended up on the opposite side of the room. After installing the Grado Black to the best of my abilities, which involved a crisis of too short screws... I played some old Johnny Cash which I also liberated from my mother's house. It sounded alright, but one channel was way off. After much debugging, I switched the left into the right and the right into the left and discovered that one channel of the phono stage appears hosed.
I talked to a repair guy and he agreeed so it is getting fixed. I also thought about the external phonostage route as well. I don't like leaving things unfixed, but since I don't have high expectations for the default JVC phonostage I may end up better off with an external and then run the long extension RCA cables at line. I'll have to wait until I get my receiver back. I had planned on replacing the receiver even before I discovered the busted phono stage but then the economy took a dive so I've stayed on the sideline until things sort themselves out. My personal finances may be looking up but I also have my eye on a new digital flat screen TV and firewire CD-RW.
I bought some records on eBay and once I get the sound of the TT fixed I plan to prune my dad's collection some and my LP collection is already shaping up with some Little Walter, Neil Young including "On the Beach" plus some Emmy Lou Harris.
Muskie
------------------
[Edited last by muskie on November 05, 2001 at 06:50 PM]

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I have an Audio-Technica cartridge still in it's original container, still unused, which I purchased about ten years ago. What kind of performance can I expect from a brand new ten year old cartridge?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My knowledge of turntables is a limited as my ability to cope with an abacus.
wink.gif

An elderly friend of mine has a turntable (I do not know what brand, but it's at least 15-20 years old) that has quite a few hours on it and he has a vinly collection that is his most-loved thing in the world. I would say he listens to at least 6 - 8 hours of LP music a week. He has never done anything as far as PM on it, nor has he changed the needle within the past few years. I'm looking to pick up some new needles for him as a surprise for his birthday, but what else should I look into as far as PM on a turntable?
Also, I hear diamond needles are the best, but what brands are good? Are needles made specifically for different makes and models, or are they generic so they will fit most any turntable? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks. :)
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Blaine,
If I were in your position, I'd get the $40 Grado Black over a 10 year old AT any day. I know AT makes some very good cartridges, but they also make some very mediocre ones. And if this is a cartridge that came with a turntable (sort of OEM), the chances are high that this was one of the mediocre ones. You could try searching for information on the specific model in the archives at www.audioasylum.com or even post a question there.
Clinton,
A lot depends on what turntable/tonearm he has. You wouldn't want a really cheap cartridge on a high-end turntable, or vice versa. Also, the cartridge needs to match well with the tonearm, or the whole thing won't work right. Again, if you're looking for an excellent cartridge for very little money, I would recommend the Grado Black mentioned above.
And I'll throw this out again for anyone who's interested - you can read the vinyl-related FAQ section at www.audioasylum.com , it has the answers to a lot of the questions posted here.

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Saurav,
quote:
-----------------------------------------------------
Still into? I got into vinyl after I built my CD-based stereo, and now I hardly ever turn on my CD player My analog system is a Rega P3 with a Dynavector 10X4 cartridge, feeding a $25 Radio Shack phono stage (to be upgraded), going to a NAD C370 and Paradigm MiniMonitors.
-----------------------------------------------------
Based on this thread, I picked up the Radio Shack phono preamp myself and quite like it. I was wondering though from anyone using it, do you just leave it on all the time (it has an on/off switch)? So far, I've just left it on to see how long the battery will last.
Roger
------------------
System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS
Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable
Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk LS/FX Surrounds
Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Saurav,
================================================== =======
Were you trying it with alkaline batteries? That's what I'm using, and I'd like to know how long an alkaline battery lasted in this unit. I initially bought this preamp as a temporary solution while I saved up for a 'real' phono stage, but after hearing it, I don't feel the need to run out and buy another one. Just today someone posted at AA saying that he compared this to the Monolithic PS-1 (which retails for ~ $400), and felt that in some aspects the RS unit was better. That's pretty amazing, and a shock for me, because I was planning to get the PS-1. I guess I'll have to research this some more now
================================================== =======
Yes, just alkaline batts. We'll have to see how they hold up. I read the posts on AA as well that you directed me to, thanks. Interestingly enough, I also have the RFI problem, some local station I'm sure. I think I have some ferrite collars around somewhere, maybe they will help (it's very low, I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been right next to the speaker (only a turntable makes you get up these days).
I also think I have a test record around somewhere with 20 to 20khz test tones and my system is capable of playing that low easily, so maybe I can find the lower rolloff point of the unit as well.
Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks