Anyone shelve their DVDs by the studio who released them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Boyd, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I bet most everyone who has a few Criterions does this already, I do. But I was thinking about doing this for all my 250+ DVDs. Ok, so I'm bored today.
    And I know this would never work with the typical consumer, but I wouldnt mind seeing a system like this in the larger stores. I get so frustrated trying to find movies by their genre sometimes. Terminator wasnt in Sci Fi, but in action . . Irma La Douce wasn't in comedy but in horror . . .etc. At the very least I'd like to see Criterions all in one place at the store.
    ------------------
    Michael Boyd

2. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I shelve my limited collection of Criterions together along with all of my WB disks. I have the snappers separated just because it is a pain to stack the snappers with the others (Alpha, Amaray etc...)
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

3. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Once, when I got really bored on a long, rainy weekend, I rearranged all of my albums (these were vinyl discs used to reproduce music, in case yer under 30) not by label but by catalog number.
    My dvds I tend to arrange by director (if I'm a fan of the particular director) or by genre if I'm not.
    >>I get so frustrated trying to find movies by their genre sometimes. Terminator wasnt in Sci Fi, but in action . . Irma La Douce wasn't in comedy but in horror . . .etc. At the very least I'd like to see Criterions all in one place at the store.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

No, but I've thought about storing my DVDs in chronological order (i.e. by year of release).
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
    MY TOP 20 OF 2001

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

My collection of 50+ Criterions is kept in numerical order. My collection of Bond dvds (complete!) is ordered by year of release. The rest of my collection is in (gasp!) alphabetical order. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

7. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I have done this, but I have run out of shelving space (One shelve is double stacked right now) and once I get more shelves in, I feel a reorganization might come up.
    The thing is sorting by studio was nice as long as the backs were fairly consistent, but these days even Paramount is changing them. I have a feeling I'll just switch to alphabnethical and be done with it.
    I guess I'll still separate snappers from keepcases though, and I will definitvely still have the Criterions and Disneys by themselves.
    ------------------
    Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
    "You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
    Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
    DVD List LD List

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

9. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I sort by studio also...
    this looks best, methinks! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

10. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I do, but I also don't have that many dvds. [​IMG]
    Jon

11. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I also sort by studio as it looks the best. It really upset me when Paramount decided to put their banner on the top instead of the bottom.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

12. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Damn, I thought I was pretty anal retentive with how I shelf my DVDa. But by studio? That's just crazy [​IMG] My Criterions are not in order. I keep my James Bond movies at the front of the rack and all my Disney titles as Disney's:...... All the rest are in alphabetical order.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Laserdisc Collection

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I have about 75 to 80 DVD's, and I sort them by Studios. I am considering going to alphabetical though, as it gets harder to find discs as my collection grows!
    The only exception to the above is animated titles, which are in their own section.