Anyone seen the new $8000 60" Sony at Circuit City?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So I was purusing Circuit City the other day (actually I got sucked in there by their cheapo price on their POTA DVD), and I noticed this really really awesome TV, it was the new $8000 60" Sony TV. I think it's a direct-view with tons and tons and tons of megapixels. I stood there watching some Olympics programming, men's speed skating, and I swear that it was so life-like that I was afraid the speed skaters were going to crash through the store! I looked at the Hitachi Ultravision RPTV ($3900) next to it, but it was like night-and-day, the clarity of the Sony set was just out of this world.
    Anyone seen this TV set? Comments? I was not only drooling when I saw this set, but probably a bit aroused in a HT kind of way. [​IMG]

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Patrick,

No way that's a direct-view set! The largest direct-view set currently being produced is 40".

Crawdaddy

3. Ken H

Ken H Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    It's the Grand Wega, a 3 chip LCD RP HDTV. And it looks great.

4. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Yep...Sony's new GRAND WEGA
    It does look incredibly life-like...I saw it last weekend at Magnolia Hi-Fi here in Seattle.
    What a set...maybe next year I'll replace my 57HW40 with the Grand Wega [​IMG]

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

According to a review, this set is lacking in black level.

No way I'd settle for that even at $4,000.

6. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

At that price level, I'd disown a friend for chosing a RPTV over a front projector.

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

They really should have designed a better stand for it. It is expensive and ugly.

DJ

8. JohnDPug

JohnDPug Extra

Saw it at the Sony Store on Madison Ave. in Manhattan a couple of weeks ago. It's not a direct view set but rather a hybrid of LCD and rear projection (if I understood the sales rep correctly). Looked great (HD feed) from all but the most severe viewing angles and weighed in around 150 lbs.

I think the set is priced too close to the plasma range but the sales guy said they were flying out of stock.

9. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

It was a LCD being fed with the HD feed from HD net off direct tv...

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you would rather go front projection, the innards of that Grand Vega are similar if not identical to Sony's front projector VP10HT (sp?). The resolution is something like 1360 x 768, DVD's 480p is upscaled and 1080i HDTV is downscaled but it still would beat an anything x 480 plasma for picture smoothness.
    Are plasmas with 750 or so rows of pixels and over 40 inches diagonal still up in the USD 15k and higher price range?
    I have a 49" Sony LCD RPTV with the same three postage stamp LCD panel array but it is 640 x 480 as opposed to 1360 x 768. It cost me about USD 2300. two years ago.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm