Anyone seen the 34" HD widescreen CRT w/ DVI for $999 ??????

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andy_A, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

Hey, I was at the mall today and saw this set with a "DishNetwork" badge on it. It is widescreen w/ DVI and is a 34 inch tube. This got me thinking also about the Radio Shack website which recently advertised an RCA 34 inch for $999. I looked at the back, and sure enough it looks as though the Dishnetwork TV is an RCA rebadged. Does anyone know anything about this set? For that price, it is hard to beat. Most of the other brands' 34 inch sets out there run $1300 and up, it seems. If anyone has seen this or knows anything more, please post here. Thanks

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Andy, Yes it is a rebadged RCA but I can't tell you how good the set is but if I remember right there was a post on it quite a while back. Try doing a search on it here & it should come up.

3. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

There is a catch to that TV with that price. You must be a new subscriber to Dish and you must at least subscribe to the Top 60 or Latino and keep active service for at least 12 months.

I figured this out at radio shacks site once I read your post. I'm looking in this price range too and thought it'd be a good deal until I found out what I'd have to do. Not to mention I already have Dish HD and like most companies there's never any benifits for current customers....[​IMG]

4. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

very interesting indeed. I did search for a post on this set, but came up with nothing. I'm not surprised about the catch w/ that price--it just seems too good. Anyhow, the 34 Panasonic is only $1259 right now, so that is pretty good. I may go with a sub $1000 projector instead, though.

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    There is no catch.

the 999 TV comes with a 811 receiver which will give you HD via satellite and OTA networks. You do not have to be a new subscriber to Dish.

I have purchased this combo myself. The DVI input is not great (as it is designed to work with the 811), however the HD via component looks quite good (considering the price).

Regards

Gregg

6. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

so I would not have to sign up for a satellite system with this TV? I could just go and buy it for $1000 straight up? That sounds good. I'm not to concerned with the DVI input at that price, although it would be nice if it worked like it should. Would the DVI just not look that great with a player like the Bravo D2 or an HD box from my cable company? BTW, I've also seen a Sanyo 30 inch at Wal-Mart with HDMI input for $750. Anyone seen this set?

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Andy, there is a "Huge" post on the Sanyo's at Wal-Mart over at www.avsforum.com & they are getting some pretty reviews. Myself I'm saving up for the 32" model & figuring around Xmas time it will be under $700

8. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    you have to have / get Dish service to get this offer.

9. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

^^^That's what I said and you said there is no "catch." Unless you meant the new subscriber part. Either way you must have or get Dish network and when I looked at radio shacks website it had fine print that said "new subscribers only." Not to mention in the Dallas area all HD boxes are on back order for existing customers and are only available to new ones. Thank God I'm a new one. [​IMG]

10. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    you do not need to be a new customer, only a current customer. It would be ludicrious of Dish to sell their gear to non Dish customers as they are selling it at a loss in order to retain and obtain customers.