Anyone seen Richard III (Olivier) on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cees Alons, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    This version of Richard III, with Sir Laurence Olivier, has been one of my favourites, ever since I first saw the movie in the theatre when I was 14 years old (actually, my birthday present). Naturally, I have it on VHS. It was released on DVD in England, in September 2001.

Does any of you own (or otherwise see) this version? Is it worth ordering as far as the quality of the DVD is concerned? Or would it be best to wait and take the chances for an NTSC release?

Cees

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...never even knew it was out on DVD!... thanks for the tip!... will include it in my next order from Benson's World (free shipping, worldwide!)...
    http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000064108
    (Cees: ik dacht dat je alleen en uitsluitend R1 DVDs kocht?!... waarbij je dan wel vele interessante - vooral Franse - films mist... groetjes!)
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hendrik,
    You're welcome - and thanks for the tip in return (your link is to blackstar, but I found the site of Benson's:
    Richard III at Benson's World [​IMG])
    This very release may be the one that pushes me over the line to buy a region 2 player at last. Until now, I seldom found a DVD that was worth it - and (1) prices over here generally are outrageous, (2) almost any new film is released much later than in the US and (3) British releases are too often Modified To Fit The BFFC.
    Some of my favourite French films are already available as R1 DVDs (and I own a copy), but once I have got my R2 player (and my newly built HT ready!), I will have to dive into it deeper [​IMG].
    Thanks again.
    (... en groeten!)
    Cees

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...my DVD 'collection' includes excellent (German) discs of some good-to-very-good German films, too - to name a few...
    Comedian Harmonists
    Die Stille nach dem Schuss
    Aimée & Jaguar ( [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] )
    Der Unhold
    Die Buddenbrooks
    Die Blechtrommel
    Schtonk
    Das Experiment ( [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] )
    Gripsholm
    Der Krieger und die Kaiserin
    ...I even have a few Dutch DVDs of Dutch movies - only one stands out, though: Karakter
    ...and, on a French DVD, Austrian director Michael Haneke's German-language, very grim and frightening Funny Games
    ...also, on a very nice two-disc Italian SE, the only complete, full-length cut of Italian director Giuseppe Tornatore's English-language The Legend Of 1900
    Dááág!
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The Comedian Harmonists? I have a weak spot for them.
    You just convinced me. I'll see witch player I fancy...
    Die Blechtrommel is in my possession since Febr, 1999 (The Tin Drum including a German track). And Das Boot, of course.
    I haven't seen Aimeé & Jaguar yet, but heard about it.
    Are you referring to the Oliver Hirschbiegel Das Experiment? I guess so (there is a 1998 flick by Stockmann and Zank, that I found in the IMDB, but never heard of). Generally, I'm no longer that fond anymore of that type of human experiments (and I've heard stories about the people who had to guard NSB-camps shortly after the war was over - no lessons learned).
    I almost forgot today's French and German film markets. Thanks for reminding me.
    What's the quality of those PAL DVDs in general? Really 625 lines, as far as you can tell? And another question: do the French (pseudo "SECAM", I suppose) DVDs play without any problem, as should be expected?
    Cees

7. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...while French prerecorded videotapes and French VCRs are SECAM - for obvious reasons - French DVDs (and before them French LDs) are PAL, not SECAM...
    ...unlike many R1 discs, almost all French DVDs with AR 1.66:1 or wider feature anamorphic transfers... the French also tend to release more movies on dual-layer DVD-9 discs...
    ...the recently released German DVD of Die Blechtrommel is anamorphic (I'm pretty sure the R1 disc isn't)... the R2 Das Boot is a dual-layer disc, not a flipper...
    ...the larger portion of my DVD 'collection' is R1 - but since a year or so I've cut down on R1 purchases and turned to R2 (especially French) discs - firstly because I happen to be partial to French movies, but also because many non-French movies receive better treatment at the hands of the French distributors - i.e. the original (T)AR of movies are respected - case in point:
    just received in today's post
    1) Tran Anh Hung's French/Vietnamese co-production à la verticale de l'été (anamorphic 1.85:1 - the R1 release from Columbia is full-screen p&s)
    2) Hou Hsiao Hsien's Les Fleurs de Shanghaï and Edward Yang's Yi Yi(both Taiwan, 1998 and 2000, respectively) (both anamorphic 1.85:1)
    ...The French also have - the so far only - Satyajit Ray film on DVD The Music Room... and they have two films from his Mexican period by Luis Buñuel, not available elsewhere afaik... and not forgetting the epic Russian-French-Italian-Czech co-production The Barber Of Siberia, nor the French-Russian-Romanian co-production Est-Ouest...
    ...also not forgetting Emir Kusturica's Black Cat, White Cat and Arizona Dream and Michael Haneke's code ... inconnu and 'Beat' Takeshi's Sonatine...
    ...not to mention lots of movies by Claude Chabrol and François Truffaut...
    ...oh, btw, yes!, well-made PAL DVDs do look good...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

8. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...oh... and as for DVDs from the UK, I own a lot of those, too - these are mostly of British movies (e.g. The War Zone - anamorphic transfer - the R1 disc is letterbox) and TV mini-series (e.g. Ultraviolet, Edge Of Darkness and Gormenghast) and (sitcom) series (e.g. Jeeves And Wooster, The League Of Gentlemen and So, What Now?) and documentaries (e.g. The World At War and Walking With Dinosaurs) and stage musicals (Heathcliff and Oklahoma! - the latter starring Hugh Jackman of all people!...)
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Ha! But I have Oklahoma!, from Fox, and Jeeves and Wooster, from A&E (the fourth, "American" episode - not the very best - just arrived).
    Cees
    PS
    Allright, allright, I surrender. You totally convinced me! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    C.