Anyone seen lower prices on Warner DVD-Audio discs yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jun 17, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

It had been said that the prices of Warner DVD-Audio discs would be lowered today (Monday, June 17th). Did anyone see lower prices in stores today? I couldn't get out to a local Best Buy. Amazon.com is still selling Warner discs for $22.48:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...214396-5435803

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keith,

I am sure it will take a few weeks for all retailers to fully settle into the new price scheme. Look how quick it usually takes B&M dealers to enforce the price drops on audio components? I think you should give it a few weeks. I bought my two first SACD's today from Best Buy pending the arrival of my 222es. They were two George Szell classical titles. One of Rossini's Overtures and one of Wagner's excerpts. They were both 16.99 and are two channel only. Best Buy DVD-A's were still selling at 22.95. Tower or another record store who specializes in primarily music will probably be first to do the price drops. Just my thoughts.

Reg

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, you could be right. I was just hoping that the price drops had taken effect already. When your 'C222ES arrives, definitely give us a report.

4. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Amazon now has the WEA titles at $14.99. I only checked a few, but those were all at that price. I consider this great news.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kurt, thanks for the news! I just checked the Amazon link I had posted above, and sure enough, $14.99! Whoo-hoo!

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I just came from Best Buy and they have not been reduced as of yet.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, thanks for the tip. I checked out Digital Eyes and CDNOW, and they haven't lowered their prices either. Also, Amazon's selection looks to be lackluster, unless I am missing something. I looked for the Paul Simon, Eric Clapton, and Clapton & King DVD-Audio discs and couldn't find them. [​IMG]

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Well, I'm not missing anything on Amazon's web site. I went back there and did a search for Paul Simon and then Eric Clapton within their DVD-Audio department and came up with bupkus. Amazon seems to only have the older Warner DVD-Audio titles, as if they have not been updating their inventory. They don't even have Eagles Hotel California or Queen A Night at the Opera. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

Does the price drop also effect Canada?

10. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Keith, I'll be the first to agree that Amazon.com doesn't stock that much in the way of titles, but I was more interested in the fact that they actually lowered their prices than I was in what they stocked. For one thing, this confirms that the price cuts that were announced are indeed genuine. I'll be interested to see what a couple of other sites which have always had much bigger discounts on dvd-a's than Amazon.com do with their prices based on the list prices that are now confirmed at $16.99-$18.99.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, agreed. I'd like to see if a discount dealer like Digital Eyes will drop its prices. If I see DVD-Audio discs for $14.99 at Best Buy, I will buy a few discs. For $14.99, I'd pick up the Paul Simon, Eric Clapton, Clapton & King, Carly Simon, Doobie Brothers, and Grateful Dead discs. Here's hoping! [​IMG]

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Someone on Audio Asylum posted links to the Paul Simon You're the One and B.B. King & Eric Clapton Riding with the King DVD-Audio discs. Here are the links:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...941453-4284727
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...941453-4284727
    Note that Amazon is offering a package deal for Riding with the King and Eric Clapton Reptile ($30 for both), but the package gives you the CD version of Reptile.
    I searched Amazon's DVD-Audio section for "Paul Simon", "Eric Clapton", "You're the One", and "Reptile" and did not find these DVD-Audio discs. So, I am not sure how the person on Audio Asylum found them. I still have not come across Reptile on DVD-Audio there.

13. Micahel C

Keith, Their search engine sucks big time. If you go to the main music store web page and use the search in the upper left corner, rather than typing in a general search like dvd audio, change the drop down from "Popular Music" to "Title", then type in the title you want and voila!, you'll find everyone of their dvd-a's that won't show up otherwise. I found the Paul Simon, Queen and Eagles that way, so they do carry them all. Strangely, the Queen was still listed at $20.99. Seems they missed it while repricing.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, yes, Amazon's search engine is poor. You can also find all their Warner DVD-Audio discs using the advanced search option. You choose DVD-Audio as the format and type in Warner as the label, and that's it.

The Queen A Night at the Opera DVD-Audio disc was released by DTS Entertainment, not Warner. So I wouldn't expect to see it discounted to $14.99.

15. Micahel C

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, no problem. I've done it too...many times. [​IMG]

17. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Just came back from BestBuy hoping to use the 10% preferred customer coupon and they still haven't lowered their prices yet. With the 10% off coupon it still costs more than the new MSRP. [​IMG]

18. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I also was at Best Buy and the prices aren't down yet. Has anybody asked a manager (not that she/he would know) or emailed the company?

19. Micahel C

DVD-Empire lowered their prices on Warner dvd-a's today following the reduction by Amazon.com earlier this week. Their prices show list at $16.98-18.98. Their discount off of list is not as generous as it could be as they're only discounting 10% off resulting in prices of $15.28-$17.08 depending on title. One advantage of DVD-Empire however is that they have a better selection of titles than Amazon.com as well as having a dedicated dvd audio section which makes finding titles easier.
    DVD-Empire

20. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Micahel.

Those of you holding your breath for Best Buy to drop their prices anytime soon may be in for a wait. I believe they won't drop the prices on their old stock, but any new stock now coming in will probably reflect the price drop. I could be wrong, but I have never really considered BB to be on top of things when it comes to hi-rez music. Oh well, I guess it's off to DVD EMPIRE site.

Reg