Anyone see the WTC special on the History Channel last night?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Filmed earlier this year, this documentary was a fascinating look at the construction and inner workings of the towers. I can't help but think that the unique construction (at that time) contributed to the collapse of the buildings. As opposed to other skyscrapers, the WTC towers were built with the outer walls, or skin, being completely load-bearing. There were no inner support columns.
    In no way am I criticizing the achitects and engineers who created the WTC -- I actually came away with a deeper respect for the people who build our magnificent buildings and bridges.
    [Edited last by Brian Perry on October 18, 2001 at 07:11 AM]

2. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    Watched it with much interest.
    It was a great tribute to the towers. I wish the program was longer. [​IMG] This is the type of program that I *would* purcahse on DVD because of the attacks that destroyed the towers.
    But, It was almost eerie seeing all the scenes of the inner workings and knowing that it's just not there anymore. [​IMG]
    Stephen

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

What was really strange was the guy who died, talking about a 707 slamming into the tower and how it would keep standing
    Not to split hairs, but they did for over a hour. If they weren't built properly and would of gone down like a house of cards, 100,000 might of died
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

4. Michael St. Clair

There is no building that is going to withstand over 50,000 pounds of burning jet fuel.
    The towers were structurally sound. The issue with skyscrapers was, and continues to be, lenghty time to evacuate and closely grouped exit paths (stairwells). No changes in the method of structural reinforcement will change this.

5. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen
    Not to go totally off topic, but I'm going to.
    But, a big problem in the evacuation of the upper floors was the simple fact that the stair wells were at the core of the building as opposed to outside opposite corners. Therefore the stairwells were completely destroyed at the airplane impact floors. But, obviously we can't say whether more people would have survived otherwise. But I know that in most of Europe it is a law that there are evacuation stairs in the outside opposite corners. And I have read (some of the .edu papers on the strucural collapse) that there is a good chance of an evacuation route surviving if the stair wells were built in that manner.
    Again though, I would really like to see this program expanded to 2 hours and brought out on DVD. What a wonderful tribute and memorial to the towers. Maybe even have a list of all the lost at the end in the credits as a tribute and memorial to all thoes who were lost so senselessly. HC should consider it and donate profits to one of the charities.
    Stephen

6. Brian Perry

7. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen
    Brian,
    I'd have to look up all the sites again. I do remember that all I did was a google search for 'World Trade Center Collapse' and a lot of architectural papers were mixed in on the first few pages. And that happened to be what I was looking for. [​IMG] I seem to also remember finding a few good links on greatbuildings.com, which is itself an excellent site.
    Also, I'm thinking I am going to try to hunt down the two books that had their authors speaking throughout the show.

8. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen
    Bah, You got me looking up links again. [​IMG]
    Check this site and look at the paper from University of Sydney.
    http://www.ce.gatech.edu/wtc.html
    Here's the article that mentiones the egress design I spoke about earlier.
    http://www.skyscrapers.com/public/ne...iew.cfm?lang=e
    And here's some just interesting articles I have read as well...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1540044.stm http://fyi.cnn.com/2001/COMMUNITY/09...tenhouse.cnna/
    [Edited last by Stephen_Opipari on October 18, 2001 at 12:54 PM]

9. Brian Perry

Thanks, Stephen. Very interesting.
    I wonder what would have happened if the towers had somehow stood for days or weeks (not from a loss-of-life standpoint, of course). I think the expert consensus is the buildings would have eventually been deemed irreparable and slated for demolition. But how long would it have taken to plan a controlled demolition and how long would that have paralyzed the surrounding area?
    (Obviously, having those considerations would be preferable to losing thousands of human lives.)

10. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

11. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    SHIT!! I didn't know this was coming on, I missed it!!
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!