Anyone see that wonderful film on TNT 'DOOR TO DOOR'?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I just watched it, what an uplifting and highly emotional story this is!

For those who aren't familliar with the story, it's based on the real life story of Bill Porter, a man who was born with Ceribal Palsey and was told for years that he was unemployable because of his off putting way of speaking and walking. But this guy had a mind that was as sharp as a tack, and an unshakable will to work and succeed. He didn't want to be a victim, he just wanted to work and sell 'Watkins Products', and that's exactly what he did for 40 some odd years going door to door in his community.

At first people were reluctant to buy anything from him because of his affliction, but Bill persisted, and he began to effect the lives of his customers in more ways then he even knew. Bill is played in the movie by William H. Macy, in a performance that is sure to win him an Emmy. He utterly vanishes in the role, transforming himself into Bill Porter with an astonishing combination of make-up, speech alteration, and body language.

I found myself cheering Bill's accomplishments, and weeping at other times too. Just an extraordinary film. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for this film on dvd.

2. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

My Tivo had picked this up and I just watched it myself. It is really good! What could have been maudlin and sticky turned out to be funny and touching. The filmmakers (director and co-writer Steven Schachter, and co-writer William H. Macy) weren't afraid to show Porter's stubborn and frustrating side. You like him, but there are times when you want to scream at him. Porter's wonderful sense of humor was a delightful surprise too (such as him turning down a drink, saying he walks like a drunken sailor anyway).
    I agree with William H. Macy being headed for an Emmy (at least a nomination), but then, we expect nothing less than the best from him and he always delivers. Supporting actors Helen Mirrin, Kyra Sedgwick and Kathy Bates do a great job too. It's an outstanding production all around. The movie starts in the mid-50's and goes to present day, and never feels false.
    I had never heard of Bill Porter before watching the movie, but I'm glad to know of him now.
    I loved the bit at the end where they gave Porter's web site address to let people know that he's STILL selling Watkins products.

3. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Can I be completely candid with you? I loved this movie. Simple storytelling that let the truth of the story told shine through. No preaching, no soliloquys, just a straightforward showing of what perservence and patient can yield.

4. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I tried to send an e-mail to Mr. Porter just to tell him how much I enjoyed the film, but their was some sort of error and it didn't go through. I'll probably try again later.
    I feel like a jerk though, because I don't really need anything he's selling at the moment. [​IMG]
    I also loved it when he was asked by Kyra Sedgwick what he was going to do now that he's not working, his response...
    "I think i'm gonna take up Kick-Boxing."
    [​IMG]

5. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I ran this film back in early June at the Lake Placid Film Festival - we had an advance screening of it. It's the kind of movie that normally makes me run for the hills. However, after about 10 minutes, I was completely hooked. Macy is wonderful and really makes you care for his character. I'm also glad they weren't afraid to show his faults. The scenes with his mother were genuine and touching. My heart broke for him when he found out about Shelly's boyfriend.

You could tell the film was working on the audience, too. I'd poke my head out of the projection booth and you could clearly hear people laughing or quietly weeping along with the film. An incredible ovation accompanied the "www.billporter.com" credit at the end.

Kudos to all involved!

7. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I just tried to send the e-mail off again, still didn't work. [​IMG]
    I couldn't order anything either, I don't own any credit cards either.

8. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

Guys, it's Kathy Baker not Bates. Btw, the movie was great. I'm hoping for a future dvd.

9. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I just watched the film again after not seeing it in months, since starting this thread to be precise, and I can't say enough about it! What a beautiful film.

WHERE IS THE DVD TNT!?

10. Ian

Ian Agent

The street date for Door to Door is December 24th, 2002.

11. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Thank you lan! [​IMG] I guess the tape I recorded tonight will be very short lived. [​IMG]

12. Ian

Ian Agent

You are welcome John.

Ian

13. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

14. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Fantastic! I am getting this movie! Thanks for the heads up! When Bill discovered that Kathy Baker's character died
    I almost lost it right there! I can count on one hand movies that choked me up (The Elephant Man, Awakenings, the end of Glory) and now add DOOR TO DOOR to that short list.

15. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

I saw this movie when it originally aired as well. I'll be adding this to my 5 DVD collection. My sentiments have been expressed by all.