Anyone see Hendrix, the Stones, Janis, or others live in the 60's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanaA, Jan 20, 2002.

1. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

This is for the older ones out there. I graduated Palisades High in 1969. Back then, I got to go to literally hundreds of great concerts, usually in the Los Angeles or Bay areas. Saw some great ones back then, sometimes before they even had an album released. This includes groups like Cream, an early Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Hendrix, Buffalo Springfield, Big Brother, the Doors, Quicksilver, the Who, Love, the Airplane, the Dead, the Allman Brothers, the Stones, and on and on. I was wondering if any of you got to see these groups back then and in what venue. Also, if you had any great memories or unusual experiences at the concerts you'd be willing to share. I can only say that I had some very, very unusual times at these concerts, but can't elaborate because my daughters read this site.

2. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

I saw many of those acts when they were slightly more established over here on the right coast (NYC). I saw The pre-Tommy Who at the Fillmore East. Great show - a bomb scare (or something) caused an evacuation (this was my first concert). I saw Quicksilver at The Academy of Music. The singer made several runs into the audience (some 6 or 7 years before Springsteen thought of the idea). Someone tried to hand him some "substances" (acid?) which he turned over to another member of the audience. Strange Days indeed........

3. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

Yes the late 60's had some great concerts around So Cal. Dana I bet we almost bumped into each other a couple of times. I usually wore the t-shirt with the 5-pointed green leaf on the back.[​IMG]
    I was a senior in high school in 68 when I saw my first concert at the Anaheim Convention Center.
    Tickets cost $3.50 in front of the stage to see Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Animals.
    I can still remember the goosebumps when Jimi took the stage and did his tune-up routine. Stomping his effects boxes to produce some of the most unearthly sounds ever heard in 1968.
    It was funny to look around to see the many astonished faces in the crowd.
    The Anaheim Convention Center was my favorite spot because of the great acoustics and it was loud!

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Alex,

When I saw Quicksilver at the Shrine Auditorium in L.A., they must have been on acid. I remember Nicky Hopkins had an acoustic piano with no amplification at all and this one very young lady was laying on top of the piano writhing with pleasure sensually all night.

Steve,

You gotta be kidding. I saw Hendrix at the Anaheim Convention Center once too, but I think it was later. I think Chicago opened up for the Experience. I will bet you anything we were at some concerts together back then.

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

You guys rule. I wish I coulda been alive back then to see them in their primes. I'm only 22, but love classic rock, which was the new stuff to you. I love Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Jim Croce, Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Beatles, the Kinks, Santana, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, the Mamas and the Papas, etc, and my favorite group is the Moody Blues(which I'm listening to now). Any of you seen them back in the '60s and early '70s? Wish I coulda seen them with mike Pinder.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

An old guy that I work with(old compared to me) grew up in Detroit during the 60s and he actually got to hang out with Iggy Pop, one day on the way to lunch we were in my car and I had Raw Power in the CD player and he just started talking about how Iggy would go from group to group of people and was as nice as you could imagine.

This old man also saw such bands as Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Zepplin, the Doors, and The Beatles. Out of all that he said his favorite concert was Jimi Hendrix.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i wish i could've been alive to have the chance to see those acts. [​IMG]

8. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I saw Hendrix twice in Toronto, Cream, Blind Faith, Led Zeppelin during the Led Zep II tour and Who countless times. A really memorable show was "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown". What a wild guy! One great thing about being in Toronto: I saw Rush prior to superstardom at least 20 times in local bars and pub nights during the period of their first 3 albums. Sometimes there were less than a dozen folks in the audience. Even then, they put on a very professional show and played as if they were playing a huge concert.

9. Brian P

Brian P Extra

Wow I'm a huge fan of Rush and thats hard to imagine. One could have attended Woodstock and seen most of those artist. [​IMG] Monterey Pop Festival is a great video for people like me that were way to young(I'm 29) to see them back then.(Hendrix, Janis, The Who ect.) MPF was 2 years before woodstock....

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor