Anyone see anything wrong with this set-up?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dave.Zeb, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Dave.Zeb

Dave.Zeb Extra

After continueing to entertain many different set-ups, I'm pretty much settling in on a final choice. How about telling me what you think?

(2) PSB Stratus Siveri towers.
    (1) PSB Stratus C5i center.
    (2) PSB Stratus mini's for surrounds.

Going with my simple Denon avr-1700 for the first year or two until I can afford a premium power set-up/sub/TV.

Think I'm doing this in the correct order? or might I rather just go with the 2 silveri's and spend money now on a receiver and some temporary surrounds...

I always end up with more questions than I like..

Looking forward to what you folks think. Thanks very much!

2. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

Hi Dave, I think getting your speakers first would be fine. Then, save back and invest in a sub. You really need that to complete you speaker system. The other item can come later.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Dave this might be a little over budget but well worth it if you can pull it off?? Go with the DLS sub from Parts Express or another of your choice for $125 give or take. You just have to have some kind of a sub. If you are into viewing movies then you will be very short changed if you do not go this rout. Yes you will benefit in music also. A sub will make your speakers sound 10 times bigger than what they actually are. You have to factor in a sub. Did I say you need a sub??[​IMG]

5. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I think you are on the right track as your choice of speakers is a good one IMHO. You can live with a good set of speakers for a long time before upgrading, whereas no matter how much you spend on a reciever or pre/pro, that will be one of the first items you will probably end up upgrading. BTW I have an almost identical speaker package with pre i Silvers and a C-6 with Mini's in the rear. [​IMG]

6. Dave.Zeb

Dave.Zeb Extra

Thanks everyone for your input. I might end up just starting out with the silver's, make sure that my denon can push them properly.

One thing that keeps nagging at me is the mini's for surrounds. I was originally going to go with an image line set-up, and I was really looking forward to the 10s's bipolar sound diffusion. I was of the mind that it would really help in smaller rooms, which I might find my set-up in from time to time. Of course, I hear nothing but raves about the mini's, which makes it tough. I'm guessing that since both the Stratus and Platinum lines haven't even come out with bipole speakers pretty much answers my question right there, but it's still got me thinking...

What do you guys think about going with the silver's up front, the C5i center, and then 10's as surrounds? At least to start off with, or would you recommend just going right after the mini's?

One other thing, and I realize that I just really added a whole new debate with the bipole issue, but here's the thing. I'm currently living in a small home, with a small living room(12'x 20' wide), and will likely be there for the next 6 months before finding a bigger home. Will the silvers just overwhelm the room size, or should I not even concern myself with having too much now, as opposed to having too little a year from now?

Thanks again so much for your advice!

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

There is a school of thought that bi-poles came about during the Pro-logic days when the processor was creating the surround effect and bi-poles helped with the illusion and now movies are recorded in 5.1 and bi-poles aren't needed. I'd say it is a listening preference between direct and bi-poles that you need to make for yourself.

The Silveri goes down to 25hz so I down know if the cheapie sub, to tide you over, would be a benefit or not. Also, the Stratus line is 4ohms be sure your receiver can handled a 4ohm load

It isn't going to overwhelm your room.

8. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Your first choice is the best I think. The Mini's are a very good fit with the Silver's. If you ever move into SACD or DVD-A you will want as close to 5 identical speakers as possible, that even applies to HT. [​IMG]