Anyone ride ATVs(quads) here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jan 31, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I do. I have a Suzuki Quadmaster 500. It's a 4x4 and automatic. I mainly ride it in my yard. There a few trails I go to with it. It's a fun sport to get into.

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I'd have an ATV right now if I didn't have to trailer it to where I wanted to use it. Besides, I already have two cars and two motorcycles and I don't have room in the garage for the trailer.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I spent many many hours driving around on our various Honda ATV's...love those machines[​IMG]

4. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

I had a Honda 250r back in '90. Had a hell of a lot of fun on it too, even though it did put me in the hospital one evening.

5. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I own a dirtbike, but my brother has a Honda fourtrax

300-EX. We go riding in PA a couple times a year. PA has some awesome trails. Definetly worth the trip if anyone is from these parts.

6. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

My brother and his friends are into the quads, motocross, and anything offroad. I had a dirtbike, fell off and got hurt. A few days later I drove it hard into a tree, trying to get around another rider. Finally I went off a fifty foot enbankment and really got wrecked. After that I figured that was a sport I should avoid at all costs. Still fun to watch though.

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Dirtbiking/enduro/quad riding waas my ONLY hobby for 25 years. We had thousands of acres of tva land available and we literally lived there every weekend. I went through so many dirtbikes.... But my fav was a Suzuki TM250 which was a bear to handle in the hills but a great bike. We also would take trips to the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri where a huge are was designated for bike/atv trails.

Then, as we got older, most of the guys fell out of the sport and left only a few to sling dirt on. I was the last to get rid of my dirt bikes and go to atv.... I had 2 Suzuki LT 250 quadracers and still had a wonderful time although they are not as hill compatable as dirtbikes.

Right at the last, we would go to the Mississippi river sandbars when the river was down and have a blast. I prepped one of my bike for drag racing- engine mods and wheelie bar- and had a successful run at sand drags for a year or two.

I often get my pictures out and drool.... we always had loads of fun and several of us were very passionate about our dirtbiking....... I miss it more than I do any woman that came along and went.......

At present, around here there are no set-aside areas for dirtbiking as TVA closed their area for developers. I only have HT friends now........ and thanks for starting this thread as I love to talk dirtbike/atv stuff.......

None of us in our group got any bad injuries but there were lots of scraped elbows and such. My worst injury was one day a few of us who had road bikes also went to the tva area just to cruise and while navigating a paved but very steep hill, my classic Triumph Trident hit rocks and took a tumble over a steep 40ft grade .... me with it. I actually rode the bike out of there and home and along with the major scrapes and cuts, I had a dislocated shoulder and about a pound of gravel embedded in me. I replaced a few parts on the Triumph, got my shoulder fixed, dug rocks out for about 2 weeks, and rode my Trident to Florida for 3 weeks to recouperate.....!!!

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I ride but I'm in between bikes right now. Been more into the personal watercraft scene.

9. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

10. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Thanksgiving of 2000 I had an accident with my ATV. Everyone(my friends) took off on me due to them being more experienced and having sports quads, and not thinking about me and my big machine. Well I'm going along at about 50, and come to a ledge. It looks like it's not too step because it's rounded at the top like most non-steep hills I've gone down. Boy will I never assume that again. So I go over and start down the hill, and low and behold, it's pretty much a cliff. The top of it was like a hill, but it quickly dropped off. By Now I couldn't go in reverse and I get thrown face first over the front of machine. I'm on the sand at the bottom of the hill thinking I'm dead, when all of a sudden the ATV comes landing on top of me, all 600 or 700 pounds of it. Then I thought I was really dead. Luckily one of my friends saw it and got his sons to come help. I was able to push the ATV off myself. They came over and helped me turn it over. Nothing was broke on me or the machine. I was just in alot of pain for a couple weeks and was severely bruised. I still road for the rest of that day too.