What's new

Anyone reviewed The Island? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Don't forget the CSI series he has created too....

Bruckheimer is on a roll, and has rarely had a financial disappointment. Even if his films arent critical successes, he still brings in the $$$, and his films certainly entertain.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
A couple of people have said that the Canadian versions of The Island that they saw actually said on the package that there was no English DD 5.1 track. Not the ones I saw in the eastern TO burb area, they said both languages were in 5.1. Echoing what Michael said above (he looked a tad west of Toronto).

So, are there two different packages? Or cover inserts rather, since the content is not disagreed upon. If there are, that pretty much throws the idea that this will be fixed/corrected/changed a little less likely...means it surely was known about, and prepared for. Or meant to be "corrected" and wasn't, depending which cover came first.

Edit: having read some French language boards from Quebec, they are also reporting 2 different covers (both have the same UPC). One says English 2.0, one says 5.1 . Regardless of cover, English 5.1 is not there.

Could it have been a little like The Abyss disaster, where just about all original Canadian copies were made for the French-speaking market, versions with English 5.1 very rare??

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Got my US R1 over a week ago. Just checked & definately has 5.1 DD. As others have said PQ is also top notch as hardly any extras so more bitrate for it to shine through. A little intentional grain is present. Case is one of those locked snappers.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that there was talk of releasing a different cut of The Island on DVD to attract more people. Please tell me it's not the case- I was one of the relatively few people who saw the film in theaters and loved it!

James D

Second Unit
Charles-there has been much confusion about this point. There isn't a different cut. The studio said in an interview that they are going to market the film differently for the DVD release than they did for the theatrical release. This information has been misconstrued that there is a different cut for the DVD release than what was shown in the theater. This is not true.:)

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this last night and loved it. I have liked all of Bay's films including Pearl Harbor.

I think this film would have done better financially if there was more of a mystery element around it. It's not as much fun to know that the people are clones and know what their purpose is. Everything about that aspect of the plot was given away in the trailer. This film had the potential to be a great word of mouth movie I think.

I thought of The Matrix and how I had no idea what the movie was really about when I saw it. I had seen TV ads but they were very mysterious with the "what is tha matrix?" tagline. The Island's marketing made it feel like you had already seen it so why go to the theater?

Just my $.02. Kick ass movie though. I will buy the DVD.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just got my copy from Dreamworks yesterday. I'll try to watch and review tonight, but I may not get the chance until tomorrow. It sure would be nice if I could get Dreamworks flicks early...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I had a lot of fun watching this last night, a well done popcorn style action / sci-fi film.

The dd track was great, very enveloping, solid front end with good channel separation and some good, tight clean bass.

The picture, average at best. Lots of EE, really bad during the opening of the film, quite a few scenes that were soft and/or out of focus and some noise during some of the scenes.

The opeing scene made me spill my beer. :angry:

TedD

Supporting Actor

Looks to me like some stuff was shot on video. Notice the vignetting on the corners of the scenes with the bad EE and the fact that the video frame is about 20 pixels or so narrower than the film stuff. (Note that you won't this unless your system has no overscan.) I didn't see it (except for the titles) as soft on my system, however.

Still a fun ride.

Ted

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Considering it didn't do to well at the Box Office I doubt we'll see another cut. Personally I liked the film alot and also felt the marketing was at fault here.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I thought it was a better film then it got credit for; sort of an update of Logan's Run. I felt as though the film could have been better if the second half could have been improved, in that too many skills suddenly came about in the clones.. *shrug* but that's a different story.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
All of Bay's pics either got Criterion, Vista or at least SE treatment. This is his first DW DVD. Gonna be interesting to see what DW/Par does in, say, six months with this title. SD SE or BD? And DW hasn't yet announced BD support . . .

-p

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
With its sale to Paramount, I doubt The Island is tops on their list for titles to get SE consideration, especially when many point to the film's failure as the reason for the studios decline.

I don't think they would like to dig up old wounds, considering these are still pretty fresh...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
paul, you must have been pressed for time :D

"SE, DW DVD.DW/Par SD SE or BD? And DW BD support . ."

i just cant figure out what SD and BD is.

James D

Second Unit
I imagine that he meant Blu-Ray for BD. Maybe SD means Superbit Deluxe, even though this is not a Sony title.:)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
"Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put out in KP."

:)

Chris

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

Haha, it was made for a lot less years ago as The Clonus Horror. The director Robert Fiveson has a lawsuit underway, he just didn't get the injunction stopping the release of The Island's DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks