Anyone replace a fuse on an Adcom Amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkR, Sep 12, 2002.

1. MarkR

MarkR Extra

While hooking up a pair of surrounds yesterday, I unwittingly, and stupidly, forgot to turn off my amp, an Adcom GFA-7500.

I was dextrous and lucky enough to connect one set of speaker cables to the amp without any problems, but when I hooked up the second, I think I hit the wire on both terminals, producing a loud noise.

So it looks like I blew a fuse (or two) for my right rear channel. I was wondering if anyone else was lucky enough to have the opportunity to open up his amp and replace the fuses and could provide me some advice - other than turning the amp off. I really don't want to take this amp in to a service center - it's just way too heavy.

Also, I noticed that whatever speaker I hooked up to the right rear channel (I switched surrounds to make sure the speakers were working OK) got very warm when I ran pink noise through it. Can anyone explain why this would happen?

Thanks.

Mark

2. Jerry St.Marie

If I were you I,d give Adcom a call. A fuse should be easy to replace. Notice I said should,not is. I've got a 7500 so tell me what you think about it.

3. MarkR

MarkR Extra

I've already spoken with Adcom, and it doesn't seem difficult at all. There are two fuses, one near the top and one near the botom of the amp. The only pain should be having to take off both the top and bottom case covers.

I was just hoping to find someone here who has already done it.

Hopefully when I replace the fuses everything will be fine. I really don't want to carry this sucker around.

4. Jack F

Jack F Agent

I've done it on my GFA-6000.

It's a piece of cake. Just be careful about touching anything in there with bare hands. I'm not sure if the large capacitors will still have power stored or not. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way though.

Jack

5. MarkR

MarkR Extra

Jack,

Did you have to replace both fuses or just one? Where did you get them? I have yet to open the amp up -- I'll do it this weekend -- so I haven't picked up new fuses.

Thanks for the help.

Mark