Anyone rent games by mail?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Douglas*A*R, May 20, 2003.

1. Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R Stunt Coordinator

My apologies if this has already been covered, but nothing came up with a search. I was wondering if any of you rent games by mail, in the same way as Netflix is to movies, and what you think of the service? Here's the Google web directory page that lists some of the companies I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I started using GameFly about a month ago. I had a big list of older games that I wanted to try out, this is a good way to cover them all.

3. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

GameFly's good, the only bad part is they're on the West coast and I'm on the East, so it's about 4 days each way.

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I may try this during the summer. I hate the heat so ill be locked up in the AC. :)

capt

5. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

I've subscribed to Red Octane for about three years now. They are a solid service with good prices...

6. Steven J. Hurst

I'm on the west coast and Gamefly still takes about four to five days to get a game to me. I have received a game in the mail one day after placing it in my "Q" as they call it, not liked the game and placed it in the mail on the next day, and they claim they did not receive it for over a week!!!!

I am a netflix user and understand turnaround time but this seems a bit long.

But the games were in great shape, you can buy a game you have rented and they will send you the box and instructions. They did respond to my emails in a quick and friendly manner. So if you plan well and always alternate between games the delivery thing may not be a problem.

JMHO

7. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

Hmm... curious. Do any of these services provide the manual with the game?

8. Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley Stunt Coordinator

So, I checked out the Red Octane service that KevinRB mentioned,... wow, this seems like a pretty decent deal, especially to play those games you want to try but don't want to necessarily own. I may end up using this service, especially considering the shipping is free, ... the whole thing almost sounds too good to be true!

9. Brian J Dupuis

10. Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley Stunt Coordinator

-Brian, that's a pretty good view of the system, as it pertains to us here on the East Coast. Maybe we should go into business together and begin our own East Coast Web Rental service :wink:
    -But like you said, if there are a number of good games you want to play it can be a good option. Plus there are other factors like , easy to order, door to door delivery, obscure games/imports. And as Steven Hurst stated already, he lives on the West Coast and it can take 4-5 days for his deliveries.
    -I'm willing to bet that as soon as I started to put together a list I'd be online ordering, so I'll stay away from the service till I finish the backlog I already have. Hehe![​IMG]

11. Douglas*A*R

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm leaning toward Red Octane, but like Brian, I'm curious if they send the game manual. In cinematic games, like Halo, alot of the back story is in the instruction book, and I like to have that available to me. I also imagine they're helpful to learn advanced maneuvers in fighting games and the like.

12. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Ah, youth. The wealth of GameFAQS is yet unplumbed. Most have not only the pertinent information (including backstories) from the manual, but of course walkthroughs, codes, trivia/secrets, and in the case of some games (i.e. Metal Gear Solid 2) they even have philosphical discussion. Best of all, it's free of charge.

13. KevinRB

Red Octane sends the manual along with the game. I've always found them in good condition too. I live in the mid-west and typically experience 4-days shipping one way. It would be nice to cut that down, but every online videogame rental site I've seen is located in California. Red Octane seems to be growing in size, so maybe they'll open another distribution center soon.

I totally agree with you on that it's great for games you only want to play for a few weeks or so. It's much cheaper then a couple week rental at Blockerbuster or buying the game and trading it back in. Those type of games also tend to not be in high demand, so it's unlikely you'll have to wait.

If I intend on playing a game more then a month, I usually buy it. Then I'm not wasting the opportunity to try many different games with Red Octane.

Just to brag about something else, I got a sweat deal with them for one game out at any time for only $10 per month.

14. Brian J Dupuis

15. Douglas*A*R

Just what language are they speaking over at the GameFAQ message boards??? It seemed suspiciously similar to English, but somehow... wasn't. There are some interesting threads over there, the ones I could understand, anyway.

16. Brian J Dupuis

17. Brian J Dupuis

As a follow-up, I signed up for the free trial at GameFly last week. Chose my queue of games and they were shipped out that day (Wednesday). They were in my hands on Friday. That's from California to Raleigh. I can live with that. I already sent one back, so I'll see what the round-trip looks like.

If they can keep up this kind of delivery time, I'll stick with it. The rest of the service is just dandy (though they don't provide the manual).

More info as it becomes available.

18. KevinRB

How is GameFly's game availability? Can you tell if they have most new releases in stock?

19. Brian J Dupuis

They do decent. The onlny thing in my 18 game queue that's not available is Moto GP 2. Sometimes you'll log on and see less available, but it seems they have decent turn-around. Brute Force, Wolf, Burnout 2, Nemo are all in, and that's the ones in my list that are relatively new.

20. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

Brian any updates on the turn around from where you are at to gamefly? I signed up for there free 10 day trail just to see if it would be worth it as I'm on the East Coast like you, in fact one state below you. The games were shipped on Friday, and I suppose should be here by tomorrow. Has the ship time been about 3 to 4 days on average? I will keep everyone updated on my trials, I may also try GoVoJo and see what they are like. I'm mostly going to use this like everyone else suggested in order to play games that I would like to try out and play but not buy the game or go to blockbuster and have to pay $6 dollars for 5 days and have the hassle of driving there and back ect. You would think that these rental company's would set up their main office's in the centeral US like Texas or something so shipping would be less for more people.