Anyone remember the Tomy 12-sided dodecahedron puzzle?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I wish I knew where mine went. It was like a 12-sides Rubik's cube puzzle, but much more of a pain to solve. The last time I saw one for sale, it was on Ebay, but that was a few years ago.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
  3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I still have mine. I've never been able to solve it, though, like I was with the original Rubik's Cube. I don't see the flat-sided dodecahedron puzzle I have in the pictures Dave so kindly linked, but the Alexander's Star puzzle looks identical in nature.

Patrick, could you solve your dodecahedron puzzle?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yes, I could solve that 12-sided monster in my younger days. It took a lot of experimentation and observation of what routines moved certain pieces around, and then applying a specific routine when the opportunity presented itself as the sides got solved, I started with one top side, and then filled in the sides/edges until I got to the bottom side and then had more routines that moved edges pieces around without changing the "corner" pieces around. It was a cool puzzle, and more more difficult to solve than than the Rubik's cube, timewise. (I can also solve the 3x3x3 and 4x4x4 version of that puzzle, never had a 5x5x5 puzzle to try my luck with, though).

5. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I've got a box of those things in the basement. [​IMG] The only one I could do was the pyramid.

I could never understand the kids who could whip thru a Rubik's Cube. There was a kid in my class who could do it and when you asked how he'd just look bored and shrug and hand it back. Bastard. I mean, I realize there are certain sequences of moves you could do to move pieces without disturbing the rest, but how do you figure that out just by looking at the thing?

-paul

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It was really easy once you knew the motions to move a square around without disturbing the other squares. There are numerous sites on the net that will teach you what series of motions to use for each square pattern. Couple that with a youngster's capacity for muscle memory and I could do it almost by feel. Tried to revive those muscle memories during Christmas (one of my nieces got a cube), but only got two layers done before I realized I'm getting old.:b

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I found my old 3x3x3 Rubik's cube after seeing Tyson on "Beauty and the Geek" do it last month, and I was surprised at most of the patterns/routines I still remembered, and all from muscle memory. Then I got more creative and made neat patterns on the cube itself by shuffling pieces around, and these aren't the simple patterns, but require moving corners around, not just edges pieces.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

9. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    hmm, i was able to get the reg cube to about 3 moves within solved. then a feind showed me the last few moves.
    then it was easy to do in less the a minute or so.

the 4 by 4 was harder but the same moves applied.

doesnt anyone make good puzzles like these anymore?