What's new

Anyone remember Prodigy Internet? :) (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Well, if we are talking about what we started out I started out using a TeleType system where you put the phone into a cradle that was on the side of the machine. Programs were fed into it using paper tape and we were on a shared system called the Kronos timesharing system. Then I left highschool and used an IBM machine that required that all your programs were fed into it with a card reader that used Hollerith punch cards.

When I first got on to the Internet you had to use code to type back and forth to each other. That all changed dramatically when HTML and GUIs where developed and Mosiac was written.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was on Prodigy too. Wow, that was ages ago, along with the full-height hard drives!

I never used paper tape at home, but I did have it at work for awhile, and I knew how to read it without the printing. Yuck!

I'll never forget the F-I-D-O network too!

Glenn

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Gawd, I remember using CompuServe with software like TAPCIS and OzWin so I can keep my online charges relatively low! :) Indeed, I used OzWin with Windows 3.11 and Windows 95.

I've come a long way since then with today's broadband Internet connections. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks