What's new

Anyone remember GRINDL (1963) with Imogene Coca? (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if any studio would resurrect this show for a dvd release. I've read many favorable things online from people who fondly remember the show and how funny it was. Does anyone else have an interest in this series? Apparently, it is a ScreenGems property.

I remember the show vaguely. By vaguely, I mean that I remember Imogene Coca was in it, and that she was a domestic.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
That's what I've been reading. Would love for Sony to start some sorta tv archive program like Warner Archive and release all of these shows that they own. It's a shame they own all of these rare shows and they aren't putting them to any use.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, though it does date me, I do remember both Grindl and It's About Time, Imogene Coca's two 1960s sitcoms, neither of which had long runs. I really liked Grindl, but then, I am a big fan of Imogene Coca, so of course I liked it, and would love to see the series again.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I remember Grindl fairly well. Of course, I was only seven, but I remember it being a good vehicle for Imogene Coca. She had a wonderful foil in James Milhollin, the thin, Franklin Pangborn-type guy with the baggy eyelids who was all over TV back in the sixties in roles Pangborn would have played in the forties. He was Reta Shaw's husband in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" and had my favorite line in that film. Describing his wife's psychic sensations and "vibrations" he relates that after one ghostly apparition, she "came home and vibrated for a month!"

I'm sure Grindl was the typically early sixties TV silliness that aimed no higher than a seven-year-old's taste (for the My Mother the Car crowd) but I'd love to catch a glimpse of it again, and seeing as how the entire series would fit in one DVD boxset, I'd pick it up. Imogene Coca's comedy could be inspired and too little of it survives.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have about a half dozen episodes of the show and I didn't watch it originally so I don't have any rose-colored memories of the show. Objectively speaking, it has to be one of the 5 worst shows of the decade. Painfully unfunny.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I have about eight episodes and could barely make it through half of them. I had memories of liking the show, even though I was very very young when it aired, but revisiting it proved to be a disaster. My gf walked out in the middle of the first episode, haha. As bad as IT'S ABOUT TIME was, GRINDL makes it look like Masterpiece Theater.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

I have about eight episodes and could barely make it through half of them. I had memories of liking the show, even though I was very very young when it aired, but revisiting it proved to be a disaster. My gf walked out in the middle of the first episode, haha. As bad as IT'S ABOUT TIME was, GRINDL makes it look like Masterpiece Theater.

Okay, I haven't seen the show since it first aired and now you have me *really* curious. Any show that makes IT'S ABOUT TIME look like MASTERPIECE THEATER has *got* to be seen!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'd really like to see it too. I've been searching for episodes for a long time to no avail. Can anyone help out a fellow tv-addict? Pleeeeease. Even just the first 2 episodes would be great.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

I remember Grindl fairly well. Of course, I was only seven, but I remember it being a good vehicle for Imogene Coca. She had a wonderful foil in James Milhollin, the thin, Franklin Pangborn-type guy with the baggy eyelids who was all over TV back in the sixties in roles Pangborn would have played in the forties. He was Reta Shaw's husband in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" and had my favorite line in that film. Describing his wife's psychic sensations and "vibrations" he relates that after one ghostly apparition, she "came home and vibrated for a month!"
One of my all-time favorite movies!!! My favorite is when she goes over to the iron gate of the mansion and shrieks "OH THE DIVINE EMANATION! HAIL COSMIC CHIEF!" LOL!!!

richbarrac

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I loved GRINDL when I was seven years old too (as well as ITS ABOUT TIME and DOUBLE LIFE OF HENRY PHYFE come to think of it) but my only memory of the series is Grindl making a bet with Milhollin where they flipped a coin and rather landing on Heads or Tails it landed on its edge and I remember thinking that was the funniest thing I had ever seen! While it wouldnt surprise me if it were one of the five worst shows of the decade, Id still like to see that again!

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Wow - I loved Imogene Coca and that's why I loved GRINDL --I'd like to see it too! Some others from that era that I'd love to watch again are THE HATHAWAYS (Peggy Cass and Jack Weston!!), GUESTWARD HO, BRINGING UP BUDDY, and HEY, JEANNIE! --Ahh, childhood memories....

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Same here ... and ANGEL and FAIR EXCHANGE. I thought those were so good ... I'd love to know if I'd find them not so good today.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Well, thanks to a fellow poster, I was able to see some episodes of GRINDL and I must say it is definitely a hidden gem. Imogene Coca is wonderful in the series. The episodes were funny and original. It really was unlike any other series. She wasn't really a Hazel-like character, nor was she Lucy Ricardo. Imogene Coca truly made her original and gave the series its own style. I'm a bit surprised it didn't last longer. I think many classic tv fans of tv from that era would enjoy this show. It would be nice to see Sony or whoever currently owns it dig it up and put it out there for us fans. I have to say I am now a fan of this series. Great, harmless fun for the whole family.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I love Imogene & watched It's About Time regularly when it was on (I was 11), but Grindl was way beyond the pale, one of the worst shows in TV history, and I knew it THEN. Absolutely unwatchable on every level. Not even good as camp. Made My Mother The Car seem like Citizen Kane.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Larry Geller

I love Imogene & watched It's About Time regularly when it was on (I was 11), but Grindl was way beyond the pale, one of the worst shows in TV history, and I knew it THEN. Absolutely unwatchable on every level. Not even good as camp. Made My Mother The Car seem like Citizen Kane.

That's so funny how different perspectives can be from person to person. I thought the show was hilarious. Her character was so loveable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks