Anyone record SACDs to CDs in the analog domain? Results?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 2, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I bought the Alice in Chains Greatest Hits SACD last weekend and have been blown away by how much better the stereo track is than the CD. There is absolutely no comparison. "No Excuses", my favorite Alice in Chains song, is phenomenal on the SACD. The CD is weak by comparison. After A/B'ing the SACD and CD several times, I started wondering if a CD-R copy of the Alice in Chains SACD recorded in the analog domain (can't record from SACD in the digital domain) would sound better than the pre-recorded CD. Has anyone copied SACDs to CD-Rs? How good are the resulting CD-Rs sonically in comparison to the SACDs and pre-recorded CDs? Since I have the SACDs, I have no real reason to copy them to CD-Rs, but I am curious about what the results might be. I also wonder how minidiscs recorded from SACDs would sound in comparison to minidiscs recorded from CDs. I have never recorded to CD-Rs or minidiscs in the analog domain, but I imagine a little tweaking would be required to get the sound just right.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have not done an extensive amount of recording as I mainly make CD-Rs for the car changer but I have recorded my from Sony 9000ES to my Pioneer Elite PDR-19RW. One of the reasons I got the Pioneer ELite CD-R was the quality of the analog to digital converters (in the unit) for that very reason. I have heard from several people who own recorders and have done recording via the analog jacks of other sources that that makes a differernce. I have heard that the Tascam and Marantz Reference CD-Rs are excellent machines too.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, no question that the quality of the A/D converter is very important. I have a Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray recorder, which I am very happy with and which has gotten glowing reviews in US and British magazines. However, I don't know how good its A/D converter is. Given that the CDR 30 typically sells for $600 (I got it for $450 from OneCall), it's A/D converter is probably not as good as that in the Marantz reference decks. I have only used the CDR 30 for internal dubbing of CDs, and it is excellent in that capacity.