What's new

Anyone recommend My So-Called Life? (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm currently obsessing over Freaks & Geeks, which I hadn't seen until purchasing it on DVD. Now that I have it, it's definitely a Top 5 all-time favorite show of mine. Another show in my Top 5 is The Wonder Years. Given this information, do you think I would enjoy My So-Called Life?

I have never seen it; I even passed it over when they reran episodes of it on MTV. Is it still available in stores? Seems like I don't see it on the shelf anymore...

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
They have "MSCL" episodes on the Noggin cable channel. Check it there, if available.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'd say you'd probably really like MSCL; I was in high school when it first aired on ABC, and I was not at all into "teen" shows. This one was different, though; I happened to catch the pilot and I was amazed at how realistic it felt.

It's actually a pretty somber show, quite a bit more melancholy than Freaks and Geeks, and definitely not as "sweet" as The Wonder Years. I don't usually encourage blind buys on TV season sets, but I'd say give it a try if you can find it airing somewhere.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
MSCL is a fabulous show. I would recommend it to anyone. It was so different from the teen shows that were aired at that time.

It really saddens me that good shows like MSCL and Freaks and Geeks didn't survive longer.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
MSCL is really one of the best TV shows of the past 20 years. As much as I loved FREAKS AND GEEKS, MSCL was a much stronger show.

I'd say it is a must buy.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
If you need to see it to justify a buy, Netflix has the whole series. I just finished watching for the first time via this method, and was so sad when I ejected Disc 5 knowing there was no more...:frowning:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I cannot recommend the show enough. In hindsight we really see how original the show was in its' issues. Some episodes require a hanky, so be ready. A universally held opinion, it needed to go on longer.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I'm not a big fan of shows from the last couple of decades. I loved Wonder Years as well as Freaks and Geeks. This show was too whiny and the lead character I felt like smacking in the head. If you like enjoyable, poignant teen shows, avoid this one. If, however, you like shows about self-absorbed, self-obsessed, I'm the only one in the world that matters teens, then by all means buy it.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
That's how teenagers ARE!!!

That's the point. She was self-obsessed, and didn't even like herself that much... that's how most teenagers feel.

This is one of the only shows I've bought BLIND, and I really can't praise it enough. I'm so happy I found it on DVD (I never watched it when it was on, or the re-runs). It's amazingly touching, and just... real. I was reminded so much of my own life in 8th grade... it was strange (the show is about sophomores however).

Deep discount DVD used to have it for like 43 dollars, and it was well worth the purchase.

I'd netflix it, or try to catch the pilot on TV. A lot of the show doesn't work if you don't watch it in order. So much is how the characters relationships grew over time... (only 19 episodes...)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Like others here have said in MSCL 's defense...TEENAGERS ARE SELF ABORBED!!! Most kids I knew totally identified with this show over any other teen drama ( Beverlyhills 90210 and the likes).

I totally recommend this show! It had great writers and a great cast and even though it ends after only 19 episodes...it is well worth the price!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think my review sums up my feelings on MSCL, which is one of the finest shows I have ever watched.

I also hope that Once & Again, by the same creators, gets fully released on DVD.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
My So-Called Life is my all-time favorite TV series. The writing, acting.. the way it was filmed... everything about it is just... perfect.

Jeff, I'm with you, praying for Once & Again too...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks