Anyone recommend $300 DVD player to go with this ...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Iain, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Iain

Iain Agent

I received useful advice on buying a first HT in the HT help and basics forums. Someone suggested seeking specific model recommendations in the HT hardware forums to help narrow down a short-list before testing out these puppies for myself. My HT room is about 21' by 13', but the TV has to go on one of the shorter walls, with the seating area maybe 8-9' back. My priority is for watching movies, with listening to music also quite important, and broadcast TV of lesser importance. Overall, my budget is $4,000, which I was thinking to split as follows (with desired features and potential models):
    TV: $1,900 (rear-projection, HDTV-ready, 16:9, 40-45") - Mitsubishi WT-42311, Hitachi 43FWX20B, Toshiba 42HDX82 (or 42H82?)
    Speakers: $1,400 (bookshelf mains and surrounds, center, powered subwoofer) - Aperion, Axiom, B&W, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, Paradigm, Pinnacle, PSB (with SVS or HSU for the sub)
    Receiver: $400 (Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II, component video in) - Denon AVR-1603, Harman Kardon AVR 125, Onkyo TX-SR500, Pioneer VSX-D811S, Yamaha RX-V530
    DVD player: $300 (progressive scan, DVD-Audio, no chroma bug, component video out) - Denon DVD-1600 (maybe out of my price range), Kenwood DV-6050, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Toshiba SD-5700
    Any thoughts on the proposed DVD players (bearing in mind the listed potential TV, spkrs, and rcvr it could go with)? (I know these kinds of questions are very common here, but I've searched HTF and I still need help on getting my short-list shorter since there aren't enough hours in the day to properly test out all 4 players listed [​IMG])
    Thanks folks!
    Cheers, Iain

2. Iain

Iain Agent

I've got similar requests for recommendations in the other component forums and it looks like the Panasonic RP82 is a favorite. Any further thoughts from some AVS folk?

Cheers, Iain