Anyone recommend $1,400 5.1 set-up to go with this ...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Iain, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Iain

Iain Agent

I received useful advice on buying a first HT in the HT help and basics forums. Someone suggested seeking specific model recommendations in the HT hardware forums to help narrow down a short-list before testing out these puppies for myself. My HT room is about 21' by 13', but the TV has to go on one of the shorter walls, with the seating area maybe 8-9' back. My priority is for watching movies, with listening to music also quite important, and broadcast TV of lesser importance. Overall, my budget is $4,000, which I was thinking to split as follows (with desired features and potential models):
    TV: $1,900 (rear-projection, HDTV-ready, 16:9, 40-45") - Mitsubishi WT-42311, Hitachi 43FWX20B, Toshiba 42HDX82 (or 42H82?)
    Speakers: $1,400 (bookshelf mains and surrounds, center, powered subwoofer) - Aperion, Axiom, B&W, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, Paradigm, Pinnacle, PSB (with SVS or HSU for the sub)
    Receiver: $400 (Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II, component video in) - Denon AVR-1603, Harman Kardon AVR 125, Onkyo TX-SR500, Pioneer VSX-D811S, Yamaha RX-V530
    DVD player: $300 (progressive scan, DVD-Audio, no chroma bug, component video out) - Denon DVD-1600, Kenwood DV-6050, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Toshiba SD-5700
    Any thoughts on the proposed speaker manufacturers or ideas for models (bearing in mind the listed potential tv, rcvr, and dvd they could go with)? I already have stands for the mains, but I could be persuaded to upgrade to tower mains and dipole/bipole surrounds if within budget. (I know these kinds of questions are very common here, but I've searched HTF and I still need help on getting my short-list shorter since there aren't enough hours in the day to properly test out all 11 manufacturers listed [​IMG])
    Thanks folks!
    Cheers, Iain

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

For the speakers you may want to consider Ascend Acoustics. Should be able to get three CBM-170s, two HTM-200s, and a HSU VTF-3 for around $1,400 (give or take a little). If nothing else, it can't hurt to ask.

3. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

I second BryanZ's recommendation. The Ascend Acoustic CBM-170s with a Hsu VTF-3 would be great for HT and music!

4. Iain

Iain Agent

I was hoping to shorten my list, not lengthen it! But thanks anyway [​IMG] - I'll take a closer look at Ascend's web-site.
    Anyone think I have some manufacturers in my list that are a class below the rest? I want to cut a few!
    Cheers, Iain

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Not at all. You have some pretty good companies in there.

Don't need to address the speakers or sub so I'll skip 'em.

The tv and dvd player I will be more than happy to let someone else who knows more than I (which wouldn't be difficult) answer.

For the receiver, add on the Denon AVR-1802. Sure, it is a year older than the 1603. However, it has preouts and more power than the 1603. Would also add the Marantz SR-4200 onto your list and Outlaw 1050 (even though it does not have DPL II). Unless you have multiple sources which use component video I would do a direct connection between the dvd and receiver. Otherwise you are looking at needing a better receiver, such as the Denon AVR-3802, etc.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would shift some of your TV and DVD money to your receiver and look at the Denon 3802, 2802, and Pioneer Elite VSX-43. Even upping your receiver budget to $500 and looking for a used Denon 3801 would be a big step up. I currently have the 811S and am considering upgrading, not because it's not a great HT receiver w/ great features, but because i've moved out of entry level spekers into a midlevel speaker, and now i want to move into a better receiver to get all i can out of the new speakers. W/ the speakers you're reccomending (i like the JBL Studios), you're going to want more than an entry level receiver.

7. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

8. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'll echo the comments and suggestions for the Ascends.
    i ordered them with the thought that "what the hell...i'll just order a couple, not the full set, and if they're good maybe i'll think about keeping them and ordering the rest later. if they are just ok, might as well send them back and keep looking".
    i got 3 cbm 170s as L,R and Center.

i find the review at the link posted above to be right on the money.
    in fact the musical performance from these is, at times, awesome. imaging almost like a Thiel and transparency close to a Magneplanar.
    if not quite there, the much lower price of the ascends make the point fairly moot.
    For HT, it hasn't been less than highly competent.
    dialouge and center channel info comes thru fine, but whenever the musical score kicks in, they seem to really come alive.

very interesting speakers.
    and a great bargin at the package prices

10. Iain

Iain Agent

11. Iain

Iain Agent

Oops - forgot to thank everyone for their much appreciated comments :b

Thanks!!