Anyone receive their "corrected" copy of DTS Jurassic Park yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thane, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

The search function isn't working now, and I keep forgetting to ask the question! Has anyone received their "corrected" DTS copy of Jurassic Park yet? I sent mine in after calling Universal for the exchange and haven't heard (or received) anything yet. Had almost forgotten about it!
    ------------------
    MY DVD LIBRARY

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Nope. Been about 3 weeks now. I would guess they are having to orderfill on an astronomical scale now that the word is out.
    ------------------
    Yes, but are they high-quality balloons? ~ David Letterman

3. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

It's been just over four weeks since Universal received my original disc, which I sent by FedEx super saver just in case I needed to offer some kind of verification, and there's still no word on the replacement disc. [​IMG]
    It's frustrating to realize that the folks who sent their discs in even before me haven't received anything. I got the impression that Universal was going to do an all-at-once shipment to save time and money, and I always thought that it would be sent fourth class to save even more money.
    But while I know that last week's horrible events brought things to a halt (or slowed them down -- I still managed to get mail every day last week!), it would be nice to hear that someone has received their replacement copy. At the very least, I'd like to know that Universal has begun shipping them.
    I plan to wait another week or so and then begin calling Universal. It's not as if the replacement discs haven't been pressed already, which makes a 4-6 week response somewhat excessive.

4. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

No for me too, its been 6 weeks since they got my copy.I sent mine delivery confirmation and they recived it on Aug 6th. I was just thinking about it on Friday myself.
    " GOD BLESS THE USA ! "

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I sent mine priority mail right after the address came out, and i still have not recieved mine back
    capt

6. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

8. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

6 weeks here. [​IMG]
    Aaron

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And here I thought my procrastination would bite me in the butt. I haven't sent my copy in yet, but it doesn't appear that I'll suffer too much in response time from Universal.

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Mine went out August 13 and nothing yet.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  12. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Hi!,
    What are the procedures for doing this.
    I have a copy of the original first run and would like to get the fixed copy.
    What are the details here as I had missed out on it.
    Maybe I should hold on for a while or exchange it locally at where it was purchased.
    Is there any indication on the case in which is the corrected Version 'VS' the Original.
    Thanks,
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated new pictures
    due to recent upgrades!
    **Equipment list current

13. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Trevor,
    You can take it for what it's worth, but I've found that at my store, when opening the DTS versions to see the D2R2 designation, that all of them were shrinkwrapped differently than their counterparts. The corrected ones have shrinkwrap going horizontally across the back, like the top of a bag of chips, where you pull the flap to open. I ordered three copies of the DTS two weeks ago for shits and giggles, just to see what I got, and they were all the corrected versions. (If they weren't , they were going back!)
    Unless Universal is going to give out some sort of freebie in the return mailing or something, I'd go ahead and exchange locally. As long as it's not a different title, the intellectual property is still the same, so there should be no problem.
    I listened to both the DD and the DTS the other night and although the bass is out of this world, the overall mix seems too forward. Don't get me wrong - I like DTS as much as most people here and usually prefer it. It just seems to me like Universal pulled a fast one and just turned up the gain on the mix. For instance, in the scene where Hammond is bringing everbody to JP in the helicopter and there is a few minutes of dialogue between the scientists with the score playing in the background. In the DTS mix, for the first time in my experience, the dialogue is overshadowed by the soundtrack, and in more than one place. But that scene is the best example of it beeing non-cohesive. Pulled it out immediately, put in the DD and played the same scene, same volume, and it was much more intelligible, with the music in the background and not competing with the actors speaking. I'm still in shock, as this is usually how I convince myself and others that DTS is great. Keep in mind I have NO previous DTS of this to compare to - I'm sure that it's better than the original. I mean, in the scene where Dennis is getting into the stuck JP Jeep, it actually sounded like my room had a hard automotive covering that was getting pelted with rain - truly awesome! So it isn't a bad disc, just different than what I normally expect from DTS on DVD's. YMMV [​IMG]
    Matt

14. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Trevor
    You don't need to pursue the "hit and miss" strategy suggested above. See this thread for details on how to contact Universal and have them exchange the disc for you.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

15. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

16. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

I sent mine about 30 days ago and no luck yet. I read in a thread in DVDtalk that someone called a rep and he was told that a new batch was pressed and ready to be sent out for us people that returned our discs. They were to be sent sometime this week. Hopefully that is the case and that wasn't a B.S. customer service answer.

17. Tony Pantoliano

This whole DTS JP issue has been a big givl up!
    First Universal wouldn’t admit there was a problem, and I still don’t think they’ve admitted to any problem! Only that customers that are unhappy can get another copy. Then, how long has it been almost a year(?), they finally decided to take care of only the people who complain via phone! What about those without net access that don’t know anything about this are they S.O.L.? is Universal taking out ads in the various home theater magazines to let people know?
    This issue should have been corrected within the first week of it being released... why have they waited so long? The only reason I can think of is that the more time that passes people will tend to forget about it and let it be... in other words it will end up costing Universal a lot less by doing this now than before.
    In light of all of this my option of Universal has changed, and unfortunately DTS, for letting Universal get away with this for so long, is in that same boat.
    As far as I’m concerned “Universal Studios” has become synonymous with the phrase “poor customer service”
    Oh, before I forget... I haven’t received my corrected copy yet either! 6+ weeks and still waiting!

18. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

This fiasco is burning my ass, 6 weeks & not a word [​IMG]
    Semper Fi

19. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

Let's keep this thread alive as a reminder of this issue. As soon as anyone hears anything concrete please let us know.
    Universal at least took some steps to correct the situation. Better late than never. However, even though they did take said steps they haven't tecnically delivered (literally!).
    My opinion of Universal has dropped quite a few notches with all these re-releases of unnecessary Ultimate Editions and other marketing ploys like the upcoming Jurassic Park Set. I hope that by delivering on these replacement discs it is a sign that they will become a bit more core fanbase oriented so we don't feel penalized for supporting them early and rushing out to buy their product the day it comes out.
    Nobody likes to feel like they have been taken advantage of.

20. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I haven't received mine yet. It's been over a month.
    Elbert