Anyone recall early HBO end of day cartoon?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Farley, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

I've been looking for anyone with the foresight to have taped the little animated ditty that HBO used to play when they weren't a 24/7 channel. They used to end their programming day with this cool piece with the cat being put out, the milk bottles, etc., drawing the shades, and a cool bongo groove. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers this.

Kevin

2. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Does anyone even remember this?

3. Dave Sutton

Dave Sutton Agent

Sorry no, don't remember that one. But I remember some cartoon they did that had you being a super-kangaroo. And you would hop around through all kinds of environments.
    Not much help, I know. [​IMG]

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

This must have been a long time ago, since around 1980 they advertised themselves as being 24 hours. I have some tapes of some of their old movie intros, like the metal "HBO" flying in space.
    Something I uncovered that I just put on a DVD-R courtesy of a friend's DVD recorder was an in-between-movies clip from MovieVision, a subscription service in the early 80's that you could get by renting a microwave antenna. At the end of the movie a warning scrolls saying that you can be prosecuted for getting the station without paying, then a cheesy intro for the next movie with a 16mm projector.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Bumping this up because I actually found a Beta tape with this sign-off on it! It was after a movie recorded around 1979, after the movie there's a promo for some gymnastics thing with the winners going to the 1980 Olympics, then they run the animated signoff then color bars run til the end of the tape. Seems strange especially since in 1979 a few broadcast stations were 24 hours by then. I wonder what they ran before the first show the next day?
    I'll try to contact the original poster (I'm at work now) but anyone who wants this can email me- I don't usually check private messages so email's the best way to reach me. I've put this clip on a DVD along with movie intros and promos from HBO and other pay channels in the late 70s and early 80s, including some stuff from the defunct Z Channel!
    I've also got a number of broadcast station sign-offs from 1978 to 1987, mostly from the Sacramento area circa 1986.

6. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don