Anyone read Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ryan_C, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

WARNING, THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS...

Can someone who has read it please explain to me several things:
    How did Bobby's glove get from "Blind" Willie Sherman to the front seat of Sully John's car when he died in the traffic jam? I just finished reading it, and it's late, so my brain might not be working, but that puzzled me.

Also,

I know King has a series of books called the Dark Tower or something like that, is Ted Brautigan in those? I know when they capture him the Dark Tower is mentioned, as well as him being a Breaker? Would I understand this part more if I read those books?

Thanks in advance if you have any thoughts on those questions. I enjoyed the book quite a bit, found it hard to put down.

2. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

The glove got there because of something Ted did, I think. It has to do with the Dark Tower. Ted doesn't appear in those books, but the position of Breaker ties in to them (and to Black House as well). I highly reccomend both the Dark Tower series and The Tailsman and Black House.

The first four DT books are out, the final three are coming over the next few years (all are written). I still haven't finished the fourth, as I found the middle deathly dull, but for the most part, they are great reads.

3. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Thanks for the reply Joel. I was thinking that Ted had something to do with the glove, but since the book didn't really give any hints or clues to indicate it, I wasn't sure. I will have to check out the DT series when I finish reading the latest Clive Cussler and Robert Ludlum books I picked up on Sunday.

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Randall Flagg from "The Stand" is also mentioned in the Dark Tower series as well. In an interview, King mentioned that he sees many of his stories and characters coming together in the future installments of the Dark Tower. Ralph Roberts from "Insomnia" was mentioned off-hand.

The fifth book, "The Wolves of the Calla" is due out in November. CAN'T WAIT!

Ralph

5. Michael Fennessy

Michael Fennessy Stunt Coordinator

Michael Fennessy
    The first four books were just reissued in Beautiful hardcover editions with many edits within book 1. 35 new pages are in this edition with a new forward and introduction.

Mike

6. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Is that Randall Flagg the same Flagg that appeared in Eyes of the Dragon? I have often wondered about this as well. (I only saw the Stand on TV, but I have read Eyes of the Dragon.)

7. Ralph Summa

I never read Eyes of the Dragon, but I checked some King websites, and it seems to be the popular concensus that it's the same Flagg. Now I'm intrigued about "Dragon". I was only interested in his horror stories when it first came out and I have completely forgotten about it. I will have to pick this up.

8. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Ralph,

I would definitely give it a read, it's really good. I have read it about 3 or 4 times since I was about 13 or 14. I am 27 now.

I haven't ever read any of King's horror stories, only Misery, Hearts in Atlantis, and Eyes of the Dragon. I have also read one of his short story collections, I believe called Four Past Midnight. I do want to get around to reading the unabridged version of the Stand and It, although they are both extremely long IIRC.

9. Ralph Summa

Ryan,

I started with "Night" Shift when I was about 13 and I have been hooked ever since. I've been reading SK for over 20 years now. Some books I like, some I don't. I highly recommend "Hearts in Atlantis". Four loosely connected novellas all great in their own right.

I liked "Four Past Midnight", but not as much as some of his other work. I enjoyed "The Stand" and "IT" a great deal. The Stand has many characters in which King goes into great depths to describe. Some people may find it hard to get through. I really enjoyed it though.

I found "IT" impossible to put down. Between the story and the writing, I didn't want to go to sleep! I just wanted to keep reading.

I really enjoy epic stories which is why "The Dark Tower" series is my all-time King favorite.

I will definitely pick up "Eyes of the Dragon" though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ralph

10. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Ralph,

I was interested in "Hearts in Atlantis" after I saw the movie (that and the fact I got a hardcover copy for $6 at Borders). I found out later on after watching it was based on a King book. They didn't really change too much, but didn't give any clue that Ted wasn't normal either.

My interest for "The Stand" and "It" stem from the tv movies. I enjoyed those quite a bit for what they were, so I am sure the books are much better. I do know that the screenplay he wrote especially for TV scared the hell out of me when I watched it. Storm of the Century I think it was.

I actually found a copy of the Dark Tower III last night around the house, my Dad's I guess. So that is one less I have to buy.[​IMG]