Anyone purchased Kino's American Film Theatre series?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by gregstaten, Jul 12, 2003.

1. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Aug 1, 1997
    I received an email this morning from Kino announcing volume 2 of their American Film Theater series. These are films, long thought lost, that were shot in the early 1970s. Each one is a literal recording of a famous play with top notch actors. For example, volume 2 includes Katherine Hepburn in Edward Albee's "A Delicate Balance."

I'm curious if anyone has thought on volume 2, which streeted a few months ago. These certainly sound interesting (and they're all 16x9 anamorphic) but I'm curious as to how good they look.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Jun 15, 2001
    The only film in the series I'm interested in is "The Man in the Glass Booth".
  3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Aug 3, 2002
    I haveThe Iceman Cometh and the transfer is... well, it's good, but the elements have not been preserved too well over the years and the it was shot with minimal lighting. But it's good. It's a 239-minute film, and is spread over the 2 discs at the original intermission point. The mono sound has a low dynamic range and has crackle and pop, but is adequete. The extras are interesting.

O'Neil's play is a genuine landmark in modern America culture - a true masterpiece. This filmed version is good, and boasts Lee Marvin's greatest performance and Robert Ryan's brings me to tears - he died shortly after this film. Overall, it is well worth seeing once.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has The Man in the Glass Booth - an amazing piece of work.

4. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

May 3, 2003
    I'm most interested in the third wave of these films, but, my First wave set is on the way.
    I was one of the "subscribers" to this series way back in, what was it?, 1974 - 1976, and enjoyed the films for the most part.
    I'm least interested in seeing RHINOCEROS again, while looking forward to seeing PHILADELPHIA, HERE I COME for the first time (it was made for AFT's second series, but not released).
    The third wave box brings me JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS, which means that I may finally retire that horrible vhs copy taped from PBS in the early days of home video.
    I am curious, though, as to how much restoration the sound on these films has been done. Anyone know?
    Will we finally get to hear the correct lyrics to "Timid Freda," the ones that were garbled to maintain a PG rating?