Anyone purchase Shampoo and have opinions on the DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianP, Jan 22, 2003.

1. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

Haven't heard any mention or reviews of the movie on this forum since the DVD release. And was wondering if anyone that purchased it can comment what they think of the video and sound. I haven't seen Shampoo in a very long time and like to know if this DVD is worth purchasing?

2. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I compared the DVD (very briefly) to my Criterion laserdisc edition.

Video: Both versions have strengths. The LD has more saturated and pronounced colours, with a "warmish" cast overall: the DVD colours are purer but paler, with a "colder" look to the image. The DVD is sharper and has better contrast. Compared to the LD, the DVD matting is slightly tighter top/bottom and looser on the right, but the framing changes are insignificant.

Audio: The DVD is recorded at a higher level. I normalised the two discs by ear -- not a rigorous procedure -- and felt that the DVD soundtrack had a shade more detail in the treble. That might be an illusion brought on by uneven normalisation: even if it's true, it's not much of a difference.

I think the DVD is quite watchable/listenable and intend to keep it: I'll hold on to my LD copy as well, though, since I suspect its warmer, more saturated look better represents the intent of the filmmakers.

3. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

Thanks for the review and the comparison to the Criterion laserdisc. Unfortunately I will have to wait until next month when other DVDs I have pre-orded with it are available.