Anyone purchase Marantz x200 in last 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisAG, Feb 26, 2002.

1. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Looks like my original thread on this topic was lost.

Marantz claims problems have been fixed, including the popping and vertical sync when using S-video (digital audio dropouts seem to be a universal problem and likely have not been fixed).

I went to my dealer yesterday and they don't have any units, haven't for some time. Is this an indication that they are being held back for the repair?

John Garcia - I returned my 6200 for a refund, and have been using my old Yamaha DPL since December. I'm still holding out for the "fixed" 6200 line. Maybe April?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Thanks for responding. [​IMG]

3. Richard_c

Richard_c Agent

I've had a sr6200 on order for the past month ( uk ) & will be waiting another 2 weeks ( mid march ) for new stock. Rather hoping Marantz are making sure everything works with the new batch [​IMG] .

4. Robert V

Robert V Stunt Coordinator

have my eyes on the 4200. just read a great review regarding this receiver in audio mag (forgot which one). still a little uneasy regarding the problems with these units. But if marantz has repaired the problem areas, then these receivers (x200) appear to be a great buy.

5. John Garcia

John
    I'm still enjoying my 6200. [​IMG] Bought it the week they hit the stores.

6. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Those made in the first weeks apparently didn't have the popping noise, but still have the S-video sync problem.

The 4200 has always been problem free as far as I know.

7. John Garcia

John
    As I mentioned in my response before the crash, I think the "pop" may actually come from something the source is doing, and is not a defect in the receiver, as I have never had this happen with any of my sources.

I don't see the s-vid problem because I don't use it for switching, but I suppose I will have to try it out to find out.

8. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

I got the first SR-7200 to arrive in Vegas. It never had any of the problems that have been listed here on this board. I hooked up the s-video for a week just to see if it had a problem and did not see anything wrong. I had a Kenwood VR-309 which did have an s-video problem whenever there was a bright flash(gunshot, explosion, etc.)it would loose sync for a second. I may have been lucky, but mine has a low noise floor( tested with "My Disc" track 41 from Sheffield Labs )no pops when muteing or turning down the volume after 30 minutes of CD play. It also has plenty of power.

9. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

John,

The "pop" defect is well-known among US and Canadian Marantz repair reps, and those of us unfortunate enough to have purchased one of the defective batch. It seems to have surfaced in units some weeks after the x200 series was first introduced, indicating a change (scrimping?) on the production line, since corrected.

10. John Garcia

John
    I DO still have the audio-delay dropouts though.

Not sure if you saw my post some time ago regarding that Chris - I hooked up my new CDP via coax digital and I COULD NOT make it drop out, though my DVD player persists in causing this problem via coax. This again, leads me to believe that it has something to do with source.

I feel sorry that there have been many issues and dissatisfied customers with these receivers, because I feel they are great values and have excellent sound quality.

Sounds like you might have to try one out in the store to see if you can reproduce the problem(s) whenever stores have them in again.

11. Tom Morgan

I do not think I have audio delays or dropout. I use a Pan. RP-91 for DVD's and CD's. I do not have a CD jukebox hooked up. Is that the only way you get dropouts?

12. John Garcia

John
    The audio drop out (first half second or so) seems to be fairly common, but only occurs when using a digital connection (either optical or coax). As I said, I don't have this issue with my CD player, though it is Marantz also, via digital. I do have this with my DVD player - Sony DVP-S560. I will try my other DVD, a Panasoninc A300U (1st gen!), tonight to see if it has the same issue.

13. Tom Morgan

I use a digital coax connection for cd's and analog outs for DVD-A from the RP-91 and between tracks does not cut off the first seconds or fractions of seconds. I do not think it cuts off when selecting a different track with the >> or the # of the track I will check tonight when I get home.

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If I hear of Marantz fixing the drop-out or signal starting cut-off problem having been fixed, I'll be returning mine for the fix. I haven't really used my equipment much of late, but when I play music, wow, its rewarding.

15. John Garcia

John
    There is no issue with drop out via analog, since there is no digital signal to be dropped - it has to do with the receiver being able to lock onto the digital signal. Per Marantz, it is a mute circuit that goes into effect until the digital signal has been properly recognized. If you don't have this problem, then you are all set Tom. [​IMG]
    My feeling is it is specific sources combined with the circuitry in the x200s.

16. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The severity of the digital drop-out seems to depend on the make of DVD or CD player you have. Other receiver makes also exhibit this problem, so it is fairly widespread.

17. John Garcia

John
    OK, I tested out the Panny, and it DOES have a drop-out, although it is MUCH less noticable than my Sony, almost non-existent, but it's there. Again, this leads me to believe it is the receiver reacting to the signal supplied by the specific source.

18. Tom Morgan

I tried to hear a dropout with a CD playing thru a digital coax connection, and could not. Does the receiver lose the digital mode (as seen on the display) between tracks? Mine does not let go of the digital signal between tracks or when picking a track with the # on the remote or the >>. I did scare myself when I had put the remaster on, on the RP-91 the Marantz would not go into PLII or CS5.1. As soon as turned the remastering off on the RP-91 The Marantz worked fine again.
    Those of you who are interested in the digital dropouts might find this post at another site interesting
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...&f=72&t=000107

19. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I almost wonder if it would be better to eliminate the muting circuit. I don't understand the purpose of the muting circuit, I mean, the circuit appears to do more harm than good. Is it just to impress you into thinking there is low noise by tricking people into cranking up the volume with nothing playing so we go "Wow, no noise!" Yeah, no noise because its muted. I hear the difference in the muting, but its like so minimal anyways. Why don't they ditch that function? I hope they clear it up. I'm going to tell Marantz that when I decide to go with a digital connection for CD's, I'll be looking for a receiver that doesn't drop the signal, like the NAD T-751 that I tried. It was nearly flawless. Otherwise, I can't complain about the Marantz sound. Especially now that I've compared it to 4 or 5 different amps and receivers. There is a distinct pleasant character to the sound and I can't even begin to hazard a guess as to what it is, freq response, dynamics or softness or whatever, its just plain NICE. Hope to retain the NICE sound and use digital cd player without dropouts one day. I'm amazed at how good my "analog" (har har) CD player is sounding. Its 13 years old, has 2 D/A converters and 4 times oversampling and yet it sounds really good on my SR 6200.
    Anyways......if anyone hears about fixes as per the "cut-off" problem, please advise [​IMG]

20. JohnFarrell

JohnFarrell Auditioning

I just purchased a 6200 and so far I'm pretty happy with the performance. The one thing I have noticed on three or four occasions is the audio and video being out of sync. I assume that was one of the gripes you've been discussing on this board. Should I call my dealer and take it back for repair or should I look for it to be completely replaced, I'm fairly new to this so any advice would be appreciated.

JF