1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone playing UT2K3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Copeland, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    Like the title says... I have the game and love it. Not only is it a hell of a lot of fun, but it's damn gorgeous. I especially like the Tokara Forest level. Makes me think of Solace (of TSR/WotC DL fame) or some other Elvish woods from various fantasy novels. I wish there were more levels like that one.

Aaron

2. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Yep. I'm playing it a lot inbetween BF1942 and NOLF2.

The graphics are gorgeous, and I'm able to pump the detail up to the highest level now that I've got 512MB of PC2700 DDR SDRAM.

My favorite levels tend to be the Egyptian themed levels, DOM-Suntemple and CTF-Face3. Mostly because the graphics and level design are amazing on those two levels.

The bots tend to play very well also, which is nice when I don't wanna go online and play. All in all a fantastic game, not revolutionary, but a damn fine DM game.

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Got it today. Loving it. Now my time is split between UT2003 and BF1942. Bombing Run is awesome online, especially on a server that is low gravity and instagib. Those should be the default settings for any Bombing Run server. [​IMG]
    The maps are incredible especially the outdoor ones. Hope to get as much mileage out of this installment as I did with UT. Don't forget that Unreal 2 comes out in January. [​IMG]

4. Aaron Copeland

Aaron
    So what is your favorite mode? So far I've only played some Bombing Run and CTF in actual online play. I've mostly just been spending time playing bots to learn the levels, but I'll likely start some serious online time soon.

Anyway, I tend to like the true team games as opposed to DM or even Team DM. I think I like Bombing Run the best. I was a serious clan Assault player in the original UT, so as soon as an Assault mod appears I'll be playing that.

I like the new Double Domination, but I kind of miss the old Domination too.

5. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

I actually like all the modes, including Double Domination.

I prefer vanilla DM though, but Bombing Run is cool too. ONly if you have a bunch of good team-oriented players though.

6. Aaron Copeland

Aaron

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    UT2K3 whore here [​IMG]
    I love it, but I find that they went the Quake 3 route which bugs me. The levels are absolutely gorgeous, but that doesn't make up for bad decisions like the lightning gun. Who the hell can really shoot with that thing in a DM?
    Level design is good, but I think it's been so long since I installed a vanilla UT that I find the designs of the levels weak. There are SO MANY ASS-KICKING 3rd party maps for UT which were leaps and bounds over what came in the box with UT. I can't wait for someone to port CTF-Lego to UT2K3 [​IMG].
    Mike

8. Aaron Copeland

Aaron

9. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

I too got this last week and have been playing it relentlessly [​IMG] I love all the levels but (Due to the demo) I am getting tired of playing Asbestos and Antalus alot... I've played almost exclusively online so far (Great netcode) and its been awesome but most servers are straight DM only. I have played a fair number of Dom 2.0 and BR matches and they are alot of fun but I miss the old Dom and Assault modes [​IMG] All in all though this is a great shooter. Now we just need those mods.... [​IMG]
    BTW: I play almost everyday now [​IMG] So give a shout or join in if you see me on - Player name is Magness and Dedicated server is Dave's UT2K3 Server.

10. Jason Harbaugh

Hey Aaron, what Assault clan did you play with? I was also part of a competitive Assault clan . We were part of Proving Grounds and another ladder somewhere else. I forget now.

Are there any map designers here? I've never made one but I might take a look at the editor now.

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Got it today. I'm disappointed so far. HEAVY shades of QIII & very few signs of the original Unreal: Tourny.

It relies far too heavily on speed/luck than skill. I'm a pretty huge online FPS player (read: not bad) but this is too much of a "twitch" game. Perhaps after a week with it I'll feel different but I'm kind of bummed right now.

12. Jason Harbaugh

Wow, I just got on a CTF server that had a new custom map. Guess what was in this map:
    Check this screenshot.
    The only thing is that I couldn't figure out how to use it. I saw others using it and firing rockets. It said to press 'use' key when I was next to it but I can't find where to bind that, so it looks like I will need to manually edit the user.ini file or whatever it is.
    This is very cool though and many thought it was dropped completely.

13. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

This will explain the whole vehicle thing:
    http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthre...hreadid=158876
    I played for another 90 minutes or so. I now hate this game. I don't want to rain on the fun you guys are having so I'll sign off. I just wish I could strangle the developers. [​IMG]

14. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

15. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

www.planetunreal.com
    Best source for maps and whatnot!
    I have trouble running this on my system, since I have an Athlon 750. Everything else is fine. I have to wait until I get a new motherboard and processor before online play!
    I wish the Maya demo ran on Windows 98 though. I know how to use it incredibly well, at least the old versions, and am mad the custom version for UT isnt working for me!

16. Jason Harbaugh

Another great site for downloads and mods: http://www.ut2003hq.com/
    For those looking for a deal, CC has it for $37.99 this week.
    As for the vehicle, I played the vehicledemo map and bound my 'use' key. It drives quite easily with a 3rd person perspective. It definately needs wide open maps which are hard to find with the retail maps. I'm sure there will be some larger maps coming. The environment effects in the game should make for some interesting custom maps.

17. Sean Moon

Also....I cannot get the new UT 2k3 editor working. It says I am missing a critical file while installing it.

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Sean,

I think the editor is even more taxing on your system than the game is. I'm not sure but your Athlon 750 might not care for it.

19. Sean Moon

UUUGghghh...not a good time ot be broke! At least I can still make maps for the original UT!