What's new

Anyone picking up the Velvet Revolver CD on the 8th? (1 Viewer)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
soon as i got back from buying the cd, i stuck the disc into my g5 here at work and ripped it flawlessly. When i got home, i stuck it in my g4, and no problem. itunes never even hiccupped. I even made a burn of it to leave in my car, no probs there either.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
soon as i got back from buying the cd, i stuck the disc into my g5 here at work and ripped it flawlessly. When i got home, i stuck it in my g4, and no problem. itunes never even hiccupped. I even made a burn of it to leave in my car, no probs there either.

Brendon

Second Unit

Benson,

The UK version of the disc does contain the extra track Bodies.

Shane & Brian,

Thanks for the info - I feel a purchase of the disc coming on. I'll curtail my G5 envy too....!

Bren

Brendon

Second Unit

Benson,

The UK version of the disc does contain the extra track Bodies.

Shane & Brian,

Thanks for the info - I feel a purchase of the disc coming on. I'll curtail my G5 envy too....!

Bren

Benson R

Supporting Actor
So now that the record has been out for a few weeks, are there any more opinions? I am a diehard guns fan, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Anyway the more I listen to the record the more it grows on me. The first 3 tracks I really love, suckertrain blues, do it for the kids and big machine.

I even enjoyed the slower songs like loving the alien and fall to pieces. I can honestly say there is no track on the album I dislike.

Also if VR is playing near you I highly recommend you look into getting tickets, especially if you are at all a guns or stp fan. I saw the roseland show and I was quite impressed. I thought it was impressive how much the crowd was into them when for the most part they were playing songs noone in the audience had heard before.

Anyway I would like to hear opinions from others. Thanks.

Brendon

Second Unit
Benson,

The album is rarely far from either the CD player or being played on my iPod. The album has gone from having one or two standout tracks for me to only having one or two I'm not overly bothered about.

Every track bar Headspace and Superhuman I can pretty much sing along with (not that I'd want to inflict THAT on anybody!). If I was unaware of the previous bands in the group, I'd probably have gotten into it quicker; spending less time mentally having Axl fill in the vocals etc.

The former Gunners are on top form, Slash especially - he is playing on Contraband, rather than going through the motions from what GnR became post UYI 1&2. I never really listened to STP before, but I feel Scott Weiland makes for an excellent front to the band. Semi burying the vocals in the mix appeals to me to. Hang over from certain 80s alternative bands I happen to like.

Whilst I appreciate that the album is popular, it helps that the band isn't being over played (at least here in the UK) - the quality of the music stands alone, rather than being one aspect of a phenominally successful flavour-of-the-month band. That it this particular style of music is in sharp contrast to the current rock scene/sound also helps no end too.

All in all, a serious contender for album of the year for me so far. Not quite Appetite's standard of excellence, but much, much better than one might expect from the collected remnants of older bands.

Benson; did you happen to get hold of a version of Contraband with the extra Bodies track on ? THIS is how one should cover punk numbers, not like on SI!

Cheers,

Brendon

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
It took a few listens but the album has really grown on me as well. I still wish the vocals were a bit more prominent however. Other than that I've grown to like all the songs. And I'll have to give the song "Bodies" a listen as well.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm the odd man out. :) Listened to it 3 or 4 times, and it just struck me as not unique enough from old STP or old GnR. Not bad, but doesn't stand out for me either. Maybe it's due for another listen though...

Benson R

Supporting Actor

Since I already paid over 20 bucks for one copy (damn us/euro conv rate) and I'm on a budget these days, it might be awhile before I buy a second copy.

Maybe if its available on Itunes I could burn myself a new copy with that track added in.

Brendon

Second Unit

Benson,

Alas the extra disc track is not available on iTMS US or UK.

:frowning:

Brendon

Brendon

Second Unit
Benson,

Slither is out as a single over here in the UK (two seperate singles, different b sides).

The live version of Bodies is one of the tracks.

Singles on the first week of release are pretty cheap here. If you're still after the track, pm me and I'll sort out getting hold of it for you.

Brendon

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There's one of those "Inside the Music" editions (or something like that) on VH-1 on GnR. Saw it last week. At least from their viewpoint, it was Axl that caused GnR to break up. I didn't know that.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Tivo'd it...still need to watch it.

Having said that, I didn't know either, but for some odd reason, it is not shocking news:D

BGL

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I loved the first few songs immediately, plus "Fall To Pieces", which is just a GREAT songs. The rest didn't really stick with me at all, they were too bland and not enough melody. However, they've been growing on me, and the album is starting to stand out more. I LOVE Slash's playing on it!

By the way, it ripped fine in MusicMatch for me, without any "tricks".

/Mike

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I'm still on the fence on this CD. Nothng really stands out so far. Glad I found it used. Too bad really. I figured it would be a great CD considering the 2 previous bands work. I've only listened to it s few times so maybe it'll grow on me.
:star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Chet

Fall To Peices sounds like Slash in all his glory. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks