What's new

Anyone pick up the Steely Dan Gaucho SACD today? (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
OK I had to buy it :) since I'm seeing them tomorrow :emoji_thumbsup:

WHY ARE THERE THINGS MISSING IN THE M/C MIX????
I'll list the major one I noticed first and I'll A/B with the DTS cd later.

My Rival.... between the 13 and 15 sec mark you should hear tom-toms and on the SACD M/C they are gone:confused: There are a few minor things I heard (or not heard) that I'll report later but why did Elliot leave things out?? He did the same on the Nightfly on Ruby Baby there is a loud sigh in the begining of the song, its on the 2ch but missing on the M/C.

cwhite

Second Unit
I bought "Gaucho" after strong reservations by already owning the regular CD and the DTS CD. It sounds far better than either and I may do a comparision of the surround sound mix between the DTS and SACD discs. I still wonder what has become of the producer Gary Katz?

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
There may be two things going on here: (1) Elliott is making some artistic decisions on the M/C and (2) this album has "punch-ins" on the master tape which affect the sound in a minor way.
I'm starting to prefer the DTS mix over the SACD M/C mix, granted the SACD sounds great but subtracting percusion tracks is not a very wise "artistic decision". Unless some of the multi tracks are missing or got "baked" off the masters, they dropped the ball on one of my top 5 albums. With my luck it will now crack.......... :frowning:
p.s the show I saw Saturday was Excellent

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Well, without talking with Messrs Scheiner, Becker or Fagan, it's impossible to know whose decision it was to omit MIA sounds.

Since the Dan are famously picky about their releases I doubt this would have slipped by unnoticed.

I think I'll wait for the DVD-A version, since the SACD version wasn't available at my local Best Buy.

Regards,

nicholas

Grip
I listened to Gaucho twice yesterday, and it is stellar. I would not miss out on this simply because it might be released on DVD-A.

I'm hoping that the DVD-A version sounds better, but that's because I'm greedy for pleasure. There's simply not enough high resolution surround titles out there to force the choice of which version to buy. It's relatively inexpensive to purchase each, which I'm sure most surround enthusiasts will.

Gaucho on DTS was one of the first discs that convinced me that a surround format was generally preferable to me, and the SACD version steps it up several notches.

Nick Satullo

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I listened to Gaucho twice yesterday, and it is stellar. I would not miss out on this simply because it might be released on DVD-A.
It's listed on the Universal website as an upcoming release, so it would be fair to assume that the DVD-A will be out before too long.

J

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

I picked up the SA-CD version while at CES, since my SA-CD player was supposed to be back right after CES.

3 months in the shop, and it isn't shipping back 'till Monday (this time).

I'll get the DVD-A version as well after it's released.

If I saw the release details correctly, it looks like the GBYBR DVD-A release will be comparable to the deluxe SA-CD release. Very interesting indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks