What's new

Anyone pick up the Steely Dan Gaucho SACD today? (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Why do I want to hear 24/96K resampled to DSD, when the DVD-A has been announced for release later this year?

It's best presentation will be @ 24/96K.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I can't do MLP DVD-audio at the moment, so the SACD is the next best thing. I am also curious about the 2-channel track and how it will compare to my Mofi CD, with which I am actually pretty happy as of today. I never bothered to pick-up the DTS CD.

Regards,

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

You convinced me, I'll wait.

Besides It will look better with all my other Steely Dan DVD-A's.

No sense in splitting formats.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I got the SACD late last week and I have to say it sounds very good, regardless of the fact that it may be 96/24 PCM upsampled to DSD; In fact it doesn't sound "digital" at all.

I listened to the surround mix and it is a vast improvement over the surround mix on the DTS version (both done by Elliot Scheiner). I also compared "Babylon Sisters" on the SACD to the DTS disc, and as no surprise, the SACD blew the DTS disc out of the water sonically. In addition the new surround mix, although staying a bit "true" to what is presented in DTS (background vocals and horns in the rear speakers), the spaciousness and cohesiveness of the surround mix on the SACD was so much better that it was mind-blowing (for me at least).

I don't want to start a DVD-A vs. SACD debate here, and I couldn't tell you at this time which will sound better, but the SACD is no slouch and is worth the purchase (especially at the $13.99 - 16.99 price point). (I will probably get the DVD-A for comparison sake when it is released.)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

I have no doubt that the SACD sounds very good.

However, the multi-track masters are PCM, that's as good as it will sound.

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I got the SACD late last week and I have to say it sounds very good, regardless of the fact that it may be 96/24 PCM upsampled to DSD; In fact it doesn't sound "digital" at all.
Michael. Thanks for the review. This is a nice compliment to say it does not sound digital at all.

It was also nice not to have another comment on the DVDA release ;) which I will pick up later as well.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Since the DVD-A is not day-and-date with the SACD, I'm tempted to pick this up. I can be impatient at times.

Grrrr.

Gotta keep reminding myself that Crest pressed the SACD.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Michael,

You could always try the SACD and if it cracks use it as a coaster. :)

I have been having good luck with my recent Crest purchases-no cracks so far (knock on wood).

I wonder if an effective grass roots protest might be to have a slew of people with cracked discs send them into a common mailing address. Might make an impression.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Crest customer service in action:

I called the phone number at Crest listed in this thread days ago and never heard back from anyone. The guy said he would call back right away on his answering machine. Perhaps he should change his outgoing message.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Well I agree its horrible and should be fixed immediately, but do we have to turn every single music thread into a discussion on cracked discs?

I think it is starting to take away from the discussion of the music itself.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Well I agree its horrible and should be fixed immediately, but do we have to turn every single music thread into a discussion on cracked discs?
I think it's warranted in every case.

If the thread deals with a disc that happens to be pressed at Crest, then it should be made mention every time so members know what they have to contend with in purchasing the discs.

I would recommend boycotting ALL Crest discs until the issue has been addressed and resolved.

CarlP

Agent
First, no cracks in the disc.
The two-channel sound is fantastic with the exception of Babylon sisters, which sounds a bit dull to me. Well worth purchasing the album, again.
I did listen to my favorite, Glamour profession, in 5.1 and did not care for it.
Perhaps I'm becoming a two-channel snob!?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm still on the fence about the SACD. It's a hybrid, so I could trade-in the redbook, which is nice.

I was in the record store today and almost got it, but I couldn't at the time justify the money spent on an SACD of a title that is coming out on DVD-A when I could spend it on another set of music.

Maybe I'll change my mind later.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Holy Cow! What great sound on this disc! I think MCA is getting its act together...

I purchased it for $15.99 at Best Buy last night and gave it a spin. My two favorites, Hey Nineteen, and Time Out of Mind sound fantastic! I compared this to my previous fave copy, a redbook miniLP from Japan I bought from Red Trumpet. The miniLP seemed lifeless by comparison.

Here are some standout sonic highlights:

1. The famous guitar intro on Hey Nineteen which sounds like it is in my listening room.

2. The opening drums and vocals on Time Out of Mind.

3. Strong and accurate bass lines throughout.

4. Accurate and natural guitar. There is a sense of pace on the album that is very nice.

My only very minor criticism is that the vocals are still not clear as I would like, though they sound great. I think this may have more to do with the generally low quality mikes they had during the time of the session.

I think this sounds on the two channel like it is from the analog tape. I wonder if it is in fact the PCM source. If it is, then that's even better news since this will be Exhibit 1 that PCM sources can sound great in Super Audio.

If you like Steely Dan, this gets my highest recommendation. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think this sounds on the two channel like it is from the analog tape. I wonder if it is in fact the PCM source. If it is, then that's even better news since this will be Exhibit 1 that PCM sources can sound great in Super Audio.
The DSotM 5.1 mix has been reported by both Guthrie and Sax as being PCM-sourced, and people have raved about the sound.

Is there any evidence that acclaimed SACDs like 'Sea Change' and 'Heathen' are anything but PCM sourced?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Is there any evidence that acclaimed SACDs like 'Sea Change' and 'Heathen' are anything but PCM sourced?
I don't think there is anything definitive one way or the other. I seem to recall reading that Beck ran analog tapes as well. It would be nice if we could get the source listed on the packaging...

I do want to mention one minor area on the Steely Dan disc: there are some noticeable splicing effects on Time Out of Mind, but it is very quick. This is due to the master tape as I understand it. Still this track, one of my favorites, sounds terrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks