What's new

Anyone pick up the new Black Sabbath release? (1 Viewer)

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Dang Kevin, the Hendrix live cds are oop? I've kept these on the back burner forever. I've got Live at the Fillmore East, but not Monterey - I'll have to seek it out. What other recent-ish live Hendrix is oop?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... Just picked up my own copy of Past Lives. I like it, but...

If you have the remastered Live at Last, the pictures of the band in the booklet are all in color. Different than the ones in Past Lives too.

I am pretty sure than the last two tracks on disc 2 were released on the special bonus disc included with the Ozzman Cometh: Peel Session versions of 'Fairies Wears Boots' & 'Behind The Wall Of Sleep'. But you'd still have to get Ozzman for the different version of Black Sabbath and War Pigs with the different lyrics.

Man, the versions of Hole in the Sky, Symptom of the Universe, and Megalomania really rock. Also sounds like Hand of Doom on the 2nd disc is actually from the same shows/era as Live at Last on disc 1.

Ben- Since the Hendrix estate collected all the rights to his material, all of the "old" live CDs went out of print. Stuff like Jimi Plays Monterey, Live in Winterland, Live at the L.A. Forum which was included in Lifeline's: The Jimi Hendrix Story, etc. Although there's new stuff they are releasing now like the complete concert at Woodstock, Live in Ottowa, and Live at the Oakland Colleseum.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
When i saw Sabbath last year at Ozzfest they did a new song called "Scary Dreams". Anyone know about when the hell this is coming out? It was a kick ass song that sounds like it was done back in the glory days of Sabbath.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Past Lives: The versions of Behind the Wall of Sleep and Fairies Wear Boots are *not* the same as on the bonus disc included with the Ozzman Cometh:

...........Past Lives....Ozzman
BtWoS.....5:03..........5:08
FWB........6:39..........6:57

The Past Lives version are recorded live in concert, whereas the Ozzman versions really do seem to have been recorded in a basement, for example (no audience).

They are really close in terms of the music. If you listened to one version on one day, and then the other version the next day, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Here's what surprised me: if I had to pick which version I myself preferred in terms of the sound quality, the Past Lives versions win. A more open top end, and the guitar "bites" a little more. The Ozzman versions sound a little muffled frankly.

Next up: I'll try to compare the sound quality between the Live at Last part of Past Lives, and the remastered version of Live at Last...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks