Anyone pick up the new Black Sabbath release?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I haven't heard much about this release but since I don't any live Sabbath (is there much to own?), this 2 CD set, released today, piqued my interest.

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    Hmmm, I'm trying to find out what the diff between the limited and regular editions. Deepdiscountcd says the reg'lar is 1 disc and the limited is 2, but Amazon says they're both 2 discs. Thanks for mentioning this Greg, I had heard something about it coming, but didn't realize we were so close. I'll be runnin' down info and get back to the tread. Think I'll head up to Best Buy and see if they got em there.

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Ben,
    I purchased the limited edition version (which was the only version at the store I frequent), and it is in a digipak type case (where the 2 discs slip into pockets as opposed to being housed in plastic trays). I think that along with the fact that there is a poster and a Black Sabbath guitar pick in the package make it a limited edition.

I sincerely doubt that if this comes in a jewel case it will come with the poster and guitar pick.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have it ordered, but it will be interesting to see if there's any sound quality upgrade on the Live at Last portion.

I always thought that Live at Last was a much better representation of what Sabbath was all about, vs say Live Evil. Sound quality could have been better, and it did get a slight upgrade on the Castle Communications remastered import.

5. Ben Motley

Michael... BWAH!! I shoulda waited. I just picked up the jewel case version at Best Buy. Although I HATE digipacks, I could go for the poster. I haven't opened it yet (thinking about taking it back) so I don't know whether the poster's in there or not. I seriously doubt it, let alone the pic. [​IMG]
    They had it on sale for 17.99, but deepdiscountcd has the limited for 17.99, so I just may go that route... then again, here I am stuck at work with a pc, headphones, and a live Sabbath cd... don't know if I can hold out. [​IMG]

6. Ben Motley

Screw it - I opened it. [​IMG]
    I've never had Live at Last before, so I can't compare, but I'm listening to disc one here and it's pretty damn rippin', and the mastering, at least to this deaf mofo, sounds fine. The bass is low and booming, and the drums are distinctive - very prevalent. Am I insane? Somebody who has critically listened to the previous Live at Last please post your thoughts on any differences between that and this new release. I for one can't see why this recording has got such a bad rep. Oh, and the solo on Killing Yourself to Live is sweet! Classic arena rock jammin', before classic arena rock was a cliche. [​IMG]
    I'm up to War Pigs, still on disc one. I'll check back after disc two. [​IMG]
    p.s., as I thought, there was no poster or pic. Eh, no biggie... unless it's a really badass poster. [​IMG]

7. Ben Motley

Hmmmm....
    Okay, I've listened to it all. While the "new" tracks on disc two certainly are tight, with a very "produced" feel to them - while they are technically sound as far as the performances go, I prefer a more raw feel in live recordings. It seems these tracks were chosen for how close to the studio versions they are, rather than how well the recordings sound. What I think will be universally lamented here is that on most of the tracks on disc two, the drums and bass are muddled, and are not very distinct, or even that prevelant - they really get lost in the mix. Again, I feel I must be mad, because I think the fidelity on the first disc is way better than on the second, which I'm sure many fans will find hard to believe. All I can say is listen for yourself. Don't get me wrong, the tracks are good; Megalomania rips, the drums do come out well on Black Sabbath, and Hand of Doom and Fairies Wear Boots have good depth. Disc two is overall a good listen - I just think it sounds a bit more "flat" than the first disc.
    It may look like I'm bashing Past Lives pretty hard; that's not my intention, as it is a fine collection for the most part - it's just that some of the tracks sound like they were recorded in a tunnel. But hey, if you crank it the hell up, it just sounds like you're at a Sabbath concert in a really big tunnel... not a bad thing!
    Definitely check it out. [​IMG]

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

So this is the original Sabbath lineup, right? (Being the only lineup I care about)

Thanks for the heads up on this one! I was planning to go to Best Buy to pick up TNG season 3 anyway, so I'll look for it there.

"... 'cause smokin' and drinkin' is all that you do
    Yeah!"

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I actually never thought that Live at Last sounded that bad either. I think it sounds better turned up. [​IMG]
    I got the Castle remasters out through Born Again. Sabbath with Ozzy rules, but with Dio and then Ian Gillan also make for interesting listening. After Born Again, I lost interest (until Reunion!).
    Make sure to get Ozzy's The Ozzman Cometh (or something). Has some old live Sabbath tracks on it. Interesting version of War Pigs with different lyrics.

14. Ben Motley

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Martin Birch and Iron Maiden? Hee, hee.
    Don't forget Deep Purple too! [​IMG]
    You know, I could never understand why Warner Bros didn't do remasters themselves in the US...

16. Ben Motley

Duuuuude, Maiden rules yo! [​IMG] They're just really silly compared to Sabbath. :p)
    And don't forget Birch with Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow, Fleetwood Mac, Whitesnake, Michael Schenker... checking out www.allmusicguide.com, I see the mofo was all over. But I'd have to say his prime time was with Sabbath, B.O.C., Deep Purple and Maiden - but that's kind of a no-brainer. I hadn't known that he worked with Deep Purple though, thanks for the info Kevin. I'm not a big fan, but I would like to get that 2 cd Made in Japan, and maybe Machine Head (which I now see also has a 2 cd anniversary edition). [​IMG]
    Martin Birch credits

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ben- Get the 2 CD Made in Japan. *One* of the best live albums ever in my opinion. (Who Live at Leeds, and maybe Humble Pie's Rockin' the Fillmore too.) What ever happened to improvisation? (BOC's On Your Feet... is a winner too.)
    Maybe we should do a "favorite live lp" thread, hee, hee. [​IMG]
    Dang, here's some more: Skynyrd's One More from the Road, Allman Bros at the Fillmore East, both Cream Live lps, Yessongs, Genesis 2nd's Out. Well, at least you know where I'm coming from now. Live at Last is in there too, btw! [​IMG]

18. Ben Motley

Oh yeah, there's been a few best live album threads here and there. Let me throw a few of my favorites in here...
    Ramones - It's Alive (I hold this recording SACRED! It is so representative of them, truly captures their essence. Absolutely blows Loco Live away.)
    KISS - Alive II
    Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
    Cheap Trick at Budokan - The Complete Concert
    Motorhead - No Sleep 'til Hammersmith
    Slayer - Live Undead [​IMG]
    Maiden - Maiden Japan (You knew I was gonna throw that in! [​IMG] )
    Blue Oyster Cult - Extraterrestrial Live (I know, everyone says On Your Feet is better, but I've never heard it [​IMG] and pretty much got through high school on ETL [​IMG] )
    And a few good films...
    Pink Floyd at Pompeii (where in bloody hell is the dvd already??? ARGHHH!!!)
    The Last Waltz - Great movie. Took my Mom to the rerelease for Mother's day this year, having never seen it before myself, and realized I'll just have to get the disc at some point.
    I think I got that Skynyrd set for my uncle for Christmas. That's the one they remastered with extra cd and tracks, right? Anyway, as you can see, I tend to go for more metal, but I'd be tempted on the Allman Bros and Cream cds too - I'll have to check them out at some point. And if Sony would only get off their asses and remaster On Your Feet like they have the first four BOC albums, I'd get it. I've got the four remasters and they're great, and I also recently got the Stalk Forest cd from Rhino Handmade not long ago, which I highly recommend to any hardcore BOC fan or completist.
    [​IMG]
    Uhh, so - did somebody say something about Sabbath? [​IMG]

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, I got to get that Stalk Forrest one...

Jimi Hendrix- Woodstock, and some of the out of print ones like Live at Monterey. I'll 2nd Motorhead at Hammersmith. Oh, UFO's Strangers in the Night.

20. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

if one's to get yessongs get the japanese hdcd version it smokes the american one