What's new

Anyone Pick up Sting: Sacred Love today? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jeff, I adore bonus cuts.:) You can give yours to me since you find them so repugnent!;) As bonus cuts go the mentioned one ain't a good'un, IMO.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I think this was mixed and mastered by a regular of Sting's albums. In the credits it says it was also assembled on ProTools, which leads me to believe it was originally in PCM.

Perhaps the DVD-Audio disc will sound better since there wouldn't be a format conversion.

Steely Dan's Gaucho is being released as an SACD (already out) and a DVD-Audio disc (coming in November). Depending on how the master was recorded, it may also be better to go SACD if it was a DSD master, and DVD-Audio if it was done using PCM. Of course it will be hard to find the answers since most pop liner notes don't discuss the source material.

I did pick up Sting's Brand New Day on DVD-Audio and the mix is the same as the DTS CD (I bought that one first) as it was done by the same guy (even better than the Sacred Love 5.1 mix with better fidelity too). Of course, the DVD-Audio's PCM 24/96 track sounds much better than the DTS version (the master was PCM 24/96 anyway).

Since the Brand New Day remaster (as well as Ten Summoner's Tales and ...Nothing But the Sun) was re-mixed and engineered to more audiophile tastes by someone other than Sting's personal engineer (as on Sacred Love) it actually sounds far better than the CD (which was by the same guy responsible for the Sacred Love engineering). In fact, I think I remember reading a review that stated the new 5.1 remaster of Brand New Day was purposely made to have far less compression and other processing than what happened to the CD mix. Maybe the Sacred Love SACD suffered the same fate of over-production that many pop CDs do (that's why many classical, jazz, and blues albums from audiophile labels sound so much better) and it wasn't corrected for the more audiophile-oriented release.

If you like Sting and only thought Sacred Love was okay, then do yourself a favor and pick up the Brand New Day DVD-Audio.

Dan

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Jeff, I couldn't agree more. I too DESPISE "added" tracks.

I think including a cheesy remix of the single is tacky. It cheapens the integrity of the album and compromises the overall listening experience. Sting has never done this before, why now?

I have all of The Police and Sting albums on CD and Sacred Love is the ONLY one with a bonus track. It annoys me.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Yeah, if you're going to put extra's out, put it on another disc. Why, I have a mind to rant....

.... what? Brand New Day DVD-A? Nobody tells me nothin'. I'll be right back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks