Anyone pick up "Play It Again, Sam"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JackJD, Oct 31, 2001.

1. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

Any thoughts, comments, mini-reviews? Where did you get it? How much did it cost? ...Worth it? Why wasn't this included in the box sets? Thanks. -JD

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I got my copy from DVD Empire this week (street date was last week, but Empire didn't receive enough copies to cover all their orders). It's the ultimate barebones Paramount disc: not even a trailer. The video is a bit dark, but exceptionally clean for a film of that vintage. The sound is the original mono, nothing fancy, very listenable.
    quote: Why wasn't this included in the box sets? [/quote] I can think of at least two reasons:
    1. MGM doesn't have the rights.
    2. The boxsets are of films directed by Woody Allen. Play It Again, Sam was directed by the late Herbert Ross.
    I hadn't seen the film in its entirety for years. Even after seeing all the later permutations of the Woody Allen nebbish character, I still found it very funny. The fact that its director recently passed away provided an extra layer of poignancy.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 31, 2001 at 10:33 AM]

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Coincidentally, my review just went online today. I wasn't wild about the movie - frankly, with the exceptions of Love and Death and Annie Hall, I didn't like any of Allen's Seventies material, as I thought the mid-Eighties was his best period - but the DVD's a nice piece quality-wise. I felt the movie looked surprisingly good, and the sound is fine for what it is. The absolute absence of extras bites, but what're ya gonna do?
    My full review can be accessed through the link in my sig...
    ------------------
    Colin Jacobson
    DVD Movie Guide
    www.dvdmg.com

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

granted, this is a cool little film, but...
    ...hard to believe the bean counters at PARAMOUNT think this is worth $30...
    and as a skeleton disc! Likely theyll grumble, wondering why it didnt sell too well-
    ('See-and if we had put extras on it we'd have *really* lost our shirts!')
    wrong.
    Now if they had made it reasonable say, $20, or heck, even $25, I think they would have sold QUITE a few more...(rule of marketing: get the product OUT THERE....)
    IF the barely living-on-bread-and-water MGM can do WOODY with at least some extras at $20, why cant PHV?
    answer: no GOOD reason.
    Most Studios seem to be releasing DVD to BUILD the market into maturity-
    (and may even be making money at it-)
    PHV seems to want to milk the market, or cash in on it now, building be damned...
    I know, no one is forcing me to buy the disc.....
    ...*Least* of all, Paramount... [​IMG]
    a borderline disc like this makes me want to rent...if it were reasonable, I
    would BUY...
    ------------------

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I thought this film was very funny and neurotic.
    Tony's calling his secretary to let her know where he was at all times from location to location is a pre-cursor to the cell phone age. And it's played for a lot of laughs.
    Re: Woody Allen's 70's film output: I also liked "Take the Money and Run", "Sleepers", "Everything You wanted to know about sex...".
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

6. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies... I saw it for $24.99 and thought it seemed extremely high priced for a movie only DVD. Oh well, I'll buy it anyway. I love Woody Allen's work. I can hardly wait another week for box 3. Cheers -JD