What's new

Anyone Pick Up "An Officer and a Gentleman"? (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Loved this movie back in '82 and still do today. Another day or so before I get it, so wondering how it looks and sounds on Blu.

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
For what it's worth, I posted this on BR.com yesterday:

It FAR exceeded my admittedly low expectations for a catalog release from '82. PQ is outstanding - vibrant colors (reds especially stand out), deep blacks, film-like. Audio was also terrific - the music really filled the room. If the reviews on this one don't come in with minimum 4.5's for PQ and AQ I'd be very surprised, and would question the validity of both the review and the reviewer.

If this is any indication of what to expect from WB on future Paramount releases, there's a lot to look forward to.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Mine is in transit. As I recall, the DVD was pretty dark and I'm curious how the Blu-ray compares in this regard.

- Walter.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
jauritt said:

It FAR exceeded my admittedly low expectations for a catalog release from '82. PQ is outstanding - vibrant colors (reds especially stand out), deep blacks, film-like. Audio was also terrific - the music really filled the room. If the reviews on this one don't come in with minimum 4.5's for PQ and AQ I'd be very surprised, and would question the validity of both the review and the reviewer.If this is any indication of what to expect from WB on future Paramount releases, there's a lot to look forward to.
Thank you. This is one of my favorite 80's films. I'm glad to know it was treated properly.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I thank you as well and hope you will post more of your reviews
here on HTF.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Yes, I was able to take a peek at it but have not watched it all the way through yet. From what I have seen the PQ is quite good, maybe even outstanding. I'm planning to watch it Saturday evening along with The Verdict.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I have to say , it does look great on blu ray. One of the best catalog releases so far this year.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
OK, saw this title today and I'm very pleased. Warner did an amazing job on this transfer. Dark, inky blacks, great color balance, little to no sharpening or noise reduction I could see on a 55" display, but a lot of filmic-looking detail. Reds and greens in particular seem to be very vibrant. Whatever source was used for this disc is in very good shape. No sign of dirt or defects. There is a small amount of "weave" in the image on occasion that I would attribute to the scanner. The "dark" look of the old DVD is gone and the balance between shadow and light seems just right. Supplements from the 2007 DVD have been ported over and look very good. The source of these supplements seem a bit softer; the trailer is in high definition.

Patterns on clothes and the detail in Louis Gossett, Jr's military uniform show with great depth and clarity. Although the original mono mix is gone, the DTS-MA soundtrack creates a pleasing atmosphere for this movie. Not too flashy, but very clear and centered.

Beyond all that, this is just a flat-out great film. Performances all around stand out and are career-makers, from LGJ's Oscar win to David Caruso's first big-screen appearance. With a budget of only 6 million and a 10 week shooting schedule, it's amazing what Taylor Hackford and crew were able to create. Multiple Oscar nominations, two wins (Gossett and Original Song), and 120 million dollars in box office. The story and themes in An Officer and a Gentleman still stand up well today.

If this is an example of what any future catalog Paramount titles will look and sound like through Warner, it'll be a good time for Blu-ray fans.
As has been mentioned, a 4.5 for image, 5.0 for sound (from a mono source), and for me, a 4.5 for the film itself.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I agree, I watched it last night and amazed on how great it looked on Blu ray and how well the film holds up after 3 decades. I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks