Anyone owns Wharfedale Diamond speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Myki Cantero, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased my first home theater setup and I wasn't willing to spend too much on it yet. I got Wharfedale Diamond 8.3's for the front, 8.1's for the surround, a Diamond 8 Center, with a Pioneer VSX-D510G all for only US$700. I added a B&W ASW300 sub for $300.

The thing is... I'm so happy with the way it sounds and I have been listening to CD's almost every night! From classical to jazz to bossa nova to U2 to trance! The soundstage is also unbelievable since the stereo sound seems to be coming from the center speaker also.

Anyway, am I the only one happy with the Diamonds? What are the bad points about it? Will it last long? Anyone replaced their old Diamonds with another brand and saw a big difference?

Also, is their an advantage in filling in the Diamond 8.3's with sand since there is an opening just for that feature?

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i have not heard the newer diamond models but have owned several pair of 6's & 7's. i have always like the sound of the diamonds, they had 'good' bass for a small speaker and when paired with a sub nicely filled the room with music. i did try them as surround speakers when i first set up a home theatre but found them too thin for my liking. i still have one pair left, housed in two cubes for background listening in my sitting room.

3. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

Will it last long?

My mains are Wharfedale Diamond IVs, bought in 1990 and still sounding sweet. They got a really good write-up in the press at the time, praising the sound of the metal-dome tweeter in particular.

Until I get a sub, they are running as LARGE from my Marantz SR-4200, and although obviously lacking below 50Hz, are superb for both music and movies. I have them on bookshelves about 9" from the corner of the room, toed-in by about 20 degrees.

The only modifications I made were to properly glue in the rear-firing port, which was a bit loose, and to replace the internal spade connectors with solder joints.

4. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

From what I've read, as well as experienced, the Diamonds need a long break-in period of around 2 weeks before its brilliance show. So maybe the surrounds, since it isn't used that often, needs to be break-in as well.

I'm thinking of connecting my rear 8.1's to the main speaker outs for a week so it can be stretched well. I don't think my receiver has a switch to interchange the fronts and the rears. Hmmmmm.... it might be a good time to attach banana plugs as well since It's hard to reach the back of my receiver.

Mark, I'm glad your speakers are still working well. At least I'm assured that the pleasure I get from my Diamonds will last that long.