Anyone Own the Tosh SDP2000 Portable DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm giving serious thought to picking one of these up for the holidays. I've checked it out at Best Buy and I like the screen on the unit. It's a decent size screen only the samsung has a larger one that I've seen but I think that unit is getting a bit too large. I Understand when coupled with the battery the 2000 is thicker but it still seems to b e an optimal size. I Own the SD6200 Home DVD and I've been happy with it. The 2000 has similar menus and setup screens. I'd like to hear from owners experiences with the unit and possibly where they purchased it from.

Thanks Guys.

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Add me to the list of those interested. I'm thinking of this for an upcoming trip(s).

Todd

3. Donny Carlyon

Donny Carlyon Auditioning

I own one and it is great. Plays back in both interlaced and progressive mode and can flip screen for use in vehicle with a mount.

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I agree with Donny, I like mine. Although I've never run it long enough to give an accurate life to the battery.

I had one of the 1000 or 1200, can't remember which one.

One nice feature of the 2000 is the ability to select an external display and that switches off the screen. On the old on the screen would stay on, not good seeing how the screen has a "limited" life span.

I don't really like the color depth of the screen. Gradations don't look smooth. For example the start of Top Gun the sky at sunset during the opening credits looks pretty bad. But.... I think all portable screens have a color depth that isn't as deep as other displays. The 2000 looked fine on my tosh tw56x81.

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    In the literature I don't see it listed as Progressive scan but others have said it is. Good feature with turning off the screen when viewing on a TV. When you say you have'nt used it long enough to test battery life ... you have watched an entire movie on it no ?

6. Mike Nolan

Mike Nolan Auditioning

I just received this player after researching the Samsung DVD-L100 and the Samsung DVD-L100 and the Panasonic DVD-LA95. I chose it because most reviews had said the picture looked best on the Toshiba SD-P2000 over the others, and the Toshiba is a progressive scan player.

The sound through the built in speakers is pretty bad, but I guess I expect that. I bought it for long trips, mainly by plane, so I am purchasing Noise Cancelling headphones to use with it.

I have not watched a whole movie on it yet. I am happy with it for the most part. The only drawback at this point is that I have not been able to find a way to play Non-anamorphic DVDs stretched to the full width of the screen. Since Non-anamorphic DVDs are actually a 4:3 image (with Black bars encoded as picture info), the player plays it back with Black bars on the sides. End result: A black bar frame around the entire picture. You can zoom in slightly, but not enough to stretch it all the way. I have read that the Panasonic DVD-LA95 is capable of a full width stretch, but it also suffers some irritating pixelization when doing so.

7. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Mike, It sounds like you got the tosh 2000, if not I misunderstood your prev comments.

I think you can do the zoom trick on non-anamorphic moves to scale them to full screen. Just zoom one step and that should get you to full frame.