Anyone own the Nokia 8260?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lawrence, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

What do you think of this phone? I've had mine for one week. While I love the size and style, I've been having problems with background noise. There is a constant hiss when I use the phone normally, but if I use the earbud the sound is fine!

Anyone else have similar problems? Even though I bought it from Buy.com, I'm going to try an exchange it at an AT&T wireless store for a new one. I hope they will accomodate me.

2. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Lawrence,

Hi I bought this phone a week ago and now am on my third one! I also kept noticing this faint static hiss in the background, it can be heard even when the phone is just sitting in the main menu not on a call if you listen closely. I have gone through 3 phones myself and tried two other 8260's that friends of mine have and the same thing. When using headphones depending on the volume i have noticed it can get softer or louder. I still have like 2 weeks left so I too will have to make a decision of what to do. Only problem is I just signed up for [email protected] and quite frankly there phone selection sucks. I don't like any of the other models grrrrr.

3. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Just make sure you don't shake your phones too hard.

You see where it says NOKIA on the back? it looks like a piece of plastic that you can take off but can't. Underneath, there is a screw that comes loose if you shake your phone too much. (as in having it in your pants pocket for a month). It can be fixed, and a friend has done it, but I haven't bothered with it.

Nothing is wrong with the phone, it just makes an annoying maraca noise when you shake it.

4. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

I've been using an 8260 for about 6 months now. No background noise, but I've found the reception to be poor. My calls are dropped all the time and signal strength is only 1 or 2 bars most of the time. I really irritated when I'll wait for 3 bars, start a call, and it almost instantly drops to 1 bar. AHHHH, I've come so close to tossing this thing out the window.

Around Christmas, I got a telemarketer call from Cingular to sell me an additional phone. I went on a total rant to the guy about crappy reception. I ended up getting a $25 credit and a "dropped call review" on my account. Finally the rep. told me to go to a local Cingular store and get a car booster kit. WRONG! power booster kit does not exist for the Nokia 8260. But at the store, I did meet a very knowledgable tech ... who told me the real story. The 8260 was designed for Europe, where cell service is much stronger with great coverage. The internal antenna for the 8260 is poor at best and really a bad choice for rural USA users.

Bottom line ... the Motorola StarTac is a much better choice if you have troubles with reception/signal strength. It's too bad, but Nokia just as not dealt with this problem in the US. The small phone is cool though. I love the abillity do drop it in my shirt pocket. I still haven't decided whether to keep it or change.

Scott

5. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

If you mean the Motorola Startac then I will second that it is a fantastic phone. It has great signal strength, it's compact, and so far has survived being dropped twice. However, it does have the background noise but it is not too disturbing. No experience with Nokia.

6. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend who tests phones for a cellular company and I always ask him for advice and/or to borrow the phones that he is testing. According to him, the 8000 series phones from Nokia are their crappiest....poor signal reception, abyssmal battery life, substandard build quality, etc. It seems like the 6000 series is the way to go if you're set on Nokia.

7. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

I have a Nokia 8290 and while the reception and clarity is pretty good, the screen is crap! I'm personally on my 3rd or 4th in a little over a year, and everybody else I know with this phone has had to have it replaced at least once for issues with the screen too.

8. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

My wife has the 8260 , she bought it for the size & looks.She like it but I much rather my Ericsson instead.I don't like the feel of the 8260 , too small for my hands and reception is very very poor. the AT&T rep told her that before purchase but she wanted the small size of the phone.

9. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Wow, you guys really don't like your 8260s?

I've been using mine for well over a year now. Pretty much since they were first available with AT&T Wireless. I love it. Works great, nice tiny size, reception is excellent (at least identical to the 6160 (?) I had before). I don't notice any hissing or background noise.

I do have one major problem with the phone, however: dirt in the screen. After about 3 months, the screen starts filling up with dirt and dust, from the INSIDE. I took it apart and cleaned it out, but within a few weeks it was back again. It's annoying as hell. I eventually got fed up and traded the phone in for a new one. Soon as I got the new one I taped up a hole on the side of the phone (not sure what it's for) to keep the dirt out, but it didn't help. My new phone is full of it too.

I keep it in my pocket most of the day. I've done the same with other cellphones and never had this problem. It seems unique to the 8260. I'm going to trade it in one of these days for something better, but after living with this phone it's hard to get rid of it. I still haven't found a phone that compares in size.

Just to repeat one more time, I've never had a problem with the functionality of this phone. It works GREAT. One tip: Keep your hand off the upper back of the phone while you're using it. If you look at the back you'll see a little rectangle area behind the earpiece. This is the antenna. If you hold your hand or fingers over the antenna while using it, you'll decrease your reception by quite a bit and the phone will try to increase it's power to compensate. If you're not in a strong signal area, this can be enough to cause you problems. I always hold the phone on the bottom and have never had a problem with reception that I didn't have with other phones.

10. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Ryan ... I have the same problem with dirt inside the screen. How do yo get the cover off? It's not a snap off. I noticed if your slide off the back cover there are 2 tiny screws at the bottom. Do i have to take them out to get the front cover off? Also ... If I pull out the battery, is the memory volatile or non-volatile.
    I wish I had it to do over again (regrettably, I paid $150 for my 8260 and I'm locked into 12 month contract - expires 7/2002) If I knew then what I know now, I'd shell out the extra bucks for the new Motorola V.series 60c.
    [​IMG]
    This is the next generation successor to the StarTac. Yes the Nokia 8260 is small and cool-looking, but it has some performance and reliability problems. Looks to me like the V.Series has it beat everywhere. It's approx. the same size, has a much better antenna, folds (so you dont have to constantly lock & unlock the keys) and you can get a power booster car kit (not available for Nokia 8000-series). Ari's comments are right on re the 8000-series Nokias.
    Scott

11. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

Scott-

I had considered trading up for that Motorola even before your post, but after reading it I'm set on doing just that. It's quite an expensive phone, but as long as it's durable and gets good reception and sound it's worth the cost.

12. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Lawrence:

I agree it's a bit pricy, but go for it! I'll be interested to hear what you like & dislike about it. I'm set to upgrade in a few months, so you're my test subject. I have to say, I've always liked the flip design better anyway. The Nokia locking keypad gets annoying after a while.

I also wanted to add for everyone that my 8260 gets better reception in other cities. It was pretty good this week in Cincinnati and worked pretty well recently in L.A.

I believe the main problem is that, in my home area, Cingular has too few towers and too many customers. This, coupled with borderline reception means dropped calls.

Scott

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I am fortunate to work for a cellular provider, so I get to trial a lot of phones. I happen to use an 8260, but mostly because of the size and the built-in vibe feature. I've never been too impressed with the sound from it; kinda sharp and buzzy. (actually, I don't like the sound of TDMA service, I miss our old CDMA with my big fat Qualcomm 820, the sound was perfect and you could beat the hell out of that phone!) I don't travel with it too much, so the reception has not been an issue.

Actually, I am waiting for a 3360 to land on my desk. It's basically the 8260 with the wireless internet access. I've heard my coworkers say the reception seems better.

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've got the 8260. it's a decent phone, but the reception is lackluster. i attribute it to the internal antenna. in my old place, i couldn't even get a signal in my house!

but i hate carrying things in my pocket and it's size is a big plus. the voice-tags are also a nice feature...though it's becoming more common on other phones too.

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

16. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

I picked up the new Motorola V60 yesterday.

I really like this phone. Including the stub antenna it is the same height as the 8260. It's slightly thinner but thicker. It weights slightly more too, but that's because of the construction. This is a sturdy, sleek phone. I like the brushed steel surface and design. It is easier to hold and talk on, and the user interface is easier and more logical to use. You can even customize the menus to your own tastes.

Now for the real issue: How does it work? The calls are crystal clear here in DC with AT&T. I have not had any reception problems over the last day and I took the phone with me all over last night. No hiss or interference like the Nokia.

Interestingly, a friend of mine just got a Nokia 8260 a few days back. I asked him if I could try it out, and his had the same annoying hiss that mine did! This must be a design flaw in the phone. He didn't notice it so I didn't say anything (I figured I wouldn't ruin things for him).

Bottom line: The Motorola is twice as much but worth the price in my opinion. Clearer reception, more features, and easier to use. Also, AT&T is running a promotion where you get a $150 accesory pack for free with the phone. This includes a desktop charger, handsfree speakerphone device for your car, and an extra battery. The phone itself comes with a battery, earpiece, and travel charger.