What's new

Anyone own the Hughes HR10-250 Hi-Def DTV Tivo? (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Just wanted to provide a link to a thread in the Coupons and Bargains section. The directivo HD DVR is now being sold by directv for $299, plus a $100 rebate for $199 total. You have to go through customer retention and there are some other strings, like committing for 2 more years etc., but this is a great deal. Go to www.tivocommunity.com in the HD DVR section for a really long thread on the subject.

HTF Coupons Thread

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I got my unit from eBay brand new a couple weeks ago and love it. When I tried to activate it I got an overheating message and D* determined that it was a bad unit and even though I didn't get it from them they sent me out a new unit 2 day Fed Ex. and it works great. they also will give me the $100 rebate right now and it is a 2 year commitment. I think the picture quality is just as good as my Samsung HD TS360. I love being able to timeshift and record HD!!! I will try out the HDMI in a few months when I get my new BenQ PE7700 HD projector. I'll have to do it while it is under warranty, but it is a year warranty.
Why do the menus seem soooo slow? Just to bring up the guide menu where is shows the programs on eight channels and then to move around the guide, it fills in the programs so slow. Is this normal for the unit? My Samsung HD TS360 was a lot faster, but I think only displayed 5 channels at a time.

We love this new DVR so much I had to order a 2nd one (SD) for the other TV cause the kids and wife are filling it up. How did we live without TIVO?

What are these rumors about future units not having TIVO? Will they have any DVR functions? If they take away our ablility to timeshift and record HD I will be very disappointed! Might then switch back to Dish Network even if I pay a penalty.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, D* already has the owners manual for the R15 (the new SD DVR) posted on their website. It has some nice features that Tivo doesn't but it is also missing some features that Tivo has. Until someone can acutally get their hands on one for a comparison, we won't know anything. The planned HD DVR looks even more promising. The Home Media Center is a quad (that's right 4) tuner HD receiver. It also has the ability to add networked players to the system via CAT-5 cables. Keep the base in the living room by the HD receiver and put a player in the bedroom. Both will have access to recorded programming. Right now, I don't think the players do HD though.

-Robert

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I did keep my Fed Ex paperwork for proof. I would hate to get a $1000 charge! D* was great they way the quickly got me a new unit.

What is the Tivo guide verses the grid guide and how do you change between?

I just love recording and timeshifting HDTV!!
The US Open looks good right now (aside from some motion artifacts) and Fast and Furious was on UHD channel and it looked unbelievably bright and sharp! It had to have been filmed natively in high def.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very few movies are done in HD video. They are filmed on film (hence the term "filmed") and then converted to HD. Film has much more resolution than HD so nothing is lost in the conversion.

-Robert

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My problem with this unit continues to be the
fact that very shortly, it will be rendered
completely incapable of receiving LOCAL broadcasts
through the dish once DirecTV goes to MPEG4.

My question is, why is DirecTV still selling these
units knowing damn well that they will be causing
a huge backlash of angry responses once the new
coding takes place?

And what does DirecTV plan to do about this?

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
Is this true? We won't be able to get locals with the new encoding & new machines? There is a huge base who rely on "locals" over the satelite since we live in a rural area where locals don't come in good OTA.

There will be a big migration to Dish Network if this happens. I can't see them doing away with locals cause that is a huge factor for so many people.

Where did you get this information?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, from what I have learned, it is true.

DirecTV is migrating over to MPEG4 compression
starting with the local channels. Not 100% certain
this is going to happen to all the channels, but I
can't see why it wouldn't eventually.

The HR10-250 is not capable of handling this
compression.

As far as I know, DirecTV has no plans on how to
take care of customers who bought their equipment,
including owners of the HR10-250.

This isn't a simple software upgrade.

I am just surprised DirecTV continues to sell
these units knowing damn well what is around the
corner.

The subject has been touched upon earlier in
this thread.

Click Here and read the post by Robert Crawford and the post
that follows that.

Don't be too sure that DirecTV is going to replace
everyone's Tivo unit. That's a huge task they would
be agreeing to undertake. I'm not saying it will not
happen, but the thought of it doesn't make a lot of
sense.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that we would not be able to receive the LOCAL channels in our area such as FOX, ABC, NBC, etc. That some how these would be singled out and no longer available.

Actually with the new coding all the channels will eventually be converted over to the new format and we will have to get the new hardware, but in that we will still be getting our local channels as well as the other programming.
I think they are planning on starting in some major "local" markets and cities and spreading throughout the country.

I really don't think D* is going to screw us over. If they do, they WILL lose a lot of customers to Dish Network even if we have to pay a surrender fee.
I am thinking positively.
If we have to get a hot new machine, it may be better. Hopefully they won't turn off the old HD coding signal before they have a new HD DVR to replace it. I don't see that happening.
I believe there will be a charge to us HR10-250 owners to upgrade to the new machine but it shouldn't be as bad as what a new subcriber would pay. If it gives us better quality and features and many more HD channels, it might be worth it. We home theater nuts usually like to upgrade to what is bigger and better and progressive.

I don't think D* will do us wrong. If they do, we can defect to Dish Network and that is also pretty comparable. I have had Dish before and liked it.
I don't worry a lot over this upgrade issue.
I know a lot of people don't like to be told what to do.
Realize, America is being forced into digital TV and they don't have a choice. They will have to pay something for hardware to keep up with the switch. But I think it will be a great thing because of the improvement in quality.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
OK,
I did some more research. You can read all the Directv business notices on their web site and click on the "Investor Relations" link near the top of the pages and go to the news highlights section.

Maybe this is old news but here it a bulletin from January about their expansion plans and the new MPEG-4 coding:

January 2005
"DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading and fastest-growing digital television service provider, announced today that 12 of the nation's largest designated market areas (DMAs) will be among the first to receive DIRECTV-delivered local channels in high-definition (HD) in the second half of this year. DIRECTV will begin a historic expansion of its capacity with the planned launch of four next-generation satellites that will deliver more than 1,500 local HD and more than 150 national HD channels and other advanced programming services to consumers nationwide by 2007.
The first group of DMAs to receive local HD channels is: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa. These markets represent nearly 36 million homes or 32.8 percent of all U.S. TV households. Additional markets to receive local HD programming this year will be announced at a later date. Today, DIRECTV offers local channels in standard definition in 130 markets, including these 12 markets.
"With the launch of the first of our local HD markets, we begin the most dramatic programming expansion in our history and take the first steps toward our goal of offering local HD channels to every household in America," said Mitchell Stern, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "We believe the addition of HD local channels to our programming lineup will provide new opportunities for growth as demand for HD programming increases, and will enable us to compete even more aggressively with cable."
Local HD programming in the first group of markets will be available mid-year following the successful launch of the Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 satellites in the second quarter. The launch of these satellites and two others -- DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, scheduled to go aloft in early 2007 -- will play a vital role in the dramatic expansion of programming capacity for DIRECTV, announced last September.
The Boeing-built Spaceway 1 and 2 satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels, bringing local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, and will enable DIRECTV to continue to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements. DIRECTV 10 and 11 will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels and other new programming offerings. All four satellites will use spot-beam technology to deliver local channels.
DIRECTV will transmit all local HD channels and other new services from three Ka-band orbital slots co-located over the center of the country using MPEG-4 AVC, the new standard in digital video compression, and advanced modulation that will more than double the efficiency of DIRECTV's Ka-band capacity.
Initially DIRECTV will carry each of the primary broadcast networks that offer an HD feed in the market and customers who subscribe to a local channel package will receive both the standard and HD signal. HD local programming will be received via a single dish -- slightly larger than the current standard dish -- and customers will require new HD set top boxes due to new compression technology."

12 major markets listed above will be receiving the new HD local channels first and it will use the new MPEG-4 technology. It says that "customers who subscribe to a local channel package will receive both the standard and HD signal." I read in other bulletins that they will continue to broadcast standard def channels in MPEG-2. It wasn't clear if the current HD channel will be switched to the new coding or when. But it does say that "all local HD channels and other new services" will be in the new MPEG-4 coding. Looks like the new stuff will require new hardware but what you are getting right now might be there for quite some time with your existing hardware.

A bulletin in May 2005 said the 2nd new satellite was to be launched in June and they wante to broadcast the local digital and HD channels in 24 major markets this year. I think they are a little behind in this.

At the 2005 CES D* demonstrated its new MPEG-4 technology and said: "This advanced transmission significantly reduces the amount of bandwidth required to deliver HD via satellite. DIRECTV will continue to use MPEG-2 for standard definition broadcasts and will eventually convert all existing HD customers to the new technology introduced today."

There is a bulletin regarding a new D* DVR machine but it doesn't say that it has HD capability but that it can record 100 hours. It says it will have a small video window on the guide so you can watch your program as you look throught the guide which would be nice. Perhaps this is the R15 unit that has the specs online? I would think they would have a HD DVR available before they offer the MPEG-4 programming in those first select markets.

It could be months before the first 12 and 24 markets even have this available. And they want to hit all 130 markets by 2007 when they launch two more satellites. Some of us who won't be able to get this new stuff for 2 years can just enjoy our HR10-250s until then which is just fine!
I would like to get our locals in HD so I could get some Vikings games in HD on Fox. I'll have to wait until December when they are on ESPN HD. :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They aren't going to render this box useless for OTA HD recording any at all. It will take 2 to 3 years to get all of the locals on MPEG4. Then they have to switch out the boxes that are in the "white area" getting the national network HD feeds. Once all of the HD boxes have been switched out, then the CONUS HD channels will switch to MPEG4. Some people like me may never switch. 90% of my HD watching is network TV.

The rumored Home Media Center HD PVR may be worth the upgrade though. Quad tuners and a client/server architecture. All of the playback only boxes have access to the programs stored on the server's hard drive. Connections back to the server are made with a single coax or a CAT-5 cable.

-Robert

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator

Should be backward compatible with MPEG2, as the SD broadcasts are MPEG2 and they aren't going to be converted any time soon.

jdg

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

I just jumped on this deal. Wasn't sure I was going to get it because I'm not a current customer, and I'm a previous customer. The first CSR told me that since I'm a previous customer I didn't qualify. The second CSR told me the deal didn't exist. Finally the third CSR agreed to give me the $299 deal with $100 MIR, and also gave me free install, HD pack free for 3 months, Showtime and Cinemax free for 3 months, and Total Choice Plus w/o locals for $37.99 for 3 months ($42.99 afterwards). :emoji_thumbsup: Not bad considering I didn't expect to get squat!

Phil.G

Auditioning
Anyone have any new info on the rollout schedule for HDTV locals? I understand the Spaceway F2 satellite was launched last week.
This is like deja-vu, I didn't get DirecTV until they came out with local channels, at the time I was in New Orleans and we were one of the last markets to get locals. I remember having a hard time finding out exactly when they would be available.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
This has been a great thread, plenty of info. And from what I think I've read, the HR10-250 can not recorder OTA HD broadcasts without having a DirectTV subscription. Is that correct?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
In hindsight, it all makes sense for DirecTV to limit the abilities of the DirecTivo boxes (no networking, no usable USB ports, etc). They gained subscribers like me that were attracted by the Tivo's innovation, mimiced that software on their own boxes, and will now release those boxes with better features.

How about that! Rupert must be spending time w/ Bill Gates.

Peace,

DM

Phil.G

Auditioning
So here's what they said, a bit short on specifics.:

Thanks for asking about HD equipment. We've got good news! We've begun to roll out local HD programming. We're already serving select cities and hope to add others by the end of this year. We will be adding more cities soon after these and gradually expanding our coverage over the next two years, as we deploy new satellites that use state-of-the-art MPEG-4 technology. The local channels we offer will carry a mix of digital standard-definition and HD programming.

Customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and want to receive local HD programming from DIRECTV will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement after we launch local HD programming in your city. (If you want to replace your HD DVR, you will need to wait a bit longer. Our new MPEG-4-capable DIRECTV HD DVR is expected to be available sometime in 2006, after we roll out our local HD programming to our first group of cities.)

More details will be available when we launch the local HD service in your area, so watch your local TV, radio or mailbox for upcoming announcements or visit DIRECTV.com/HD

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about HD programming

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WoW! This is great news!

So all these fears about spending money on my HD Tivo
and then having DirecTV change to new coding has been
for nothing.

I am so happy that DirecTV will be taking care of us
by supplying us with replacement receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks