Anyone own Rocket RS1000s?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by SteveCallas, Nov 4, 2004.

1. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Anyone own these? How do they compare to the 750s and the RSC200? Do they overpower the center speaker or have a different sound considering they have the same midrange, but one is 3 way and the other is 2 way with different crossover points?

Also, does anybody know where I can find any frequency response charts of the 750s?

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

There on their way to the states by ship as we speak. There are a few beta testers out there and thats it for a few more weeks. Also reports say they work great with the RSC200 but there is an RSC500 not far behind... All I can say about that one is wow as I have the 200 and with my size room which is pretty good size I can't see how the 200 could get much better. Best center I ever had! OF course I have the rest 750' and 300's but for HT the 200 is it. I have spent twice the price before for less of a speaker.

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I wonder if the RS850s will provide all of the performance of the 1000s, but in a smaller package (the 1000s are MONSTERS).

4. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Where can I find info or pictures of the 850s?

The thing about the 1000s that I don't like is the added 8inch woofer with built in amp and seperate electronics...it doesn't make sense to me. Why would someone just not use a subwoofer? What I do like is the dedicated midrange because I have heard about a lack of presence in the >500hz range. This is also why I would like to see some frequency response charts.

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

The 850s are basically the 1ks without the sub and 6 inches shorter.
    No pics yet and I think Early dec. is the release date.

6. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Usually with 2-channel, or at least direct-audio 2-channel, a subwoofer is not used.

7. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

I can understand that, but if they have to go to the effort of incorporating a second and third amplifier (aside from what you are using to drive the rest of the speaker) specifically for this 8 inch driver and another crossover that you set using seperate electronics, I'd say your still better off with a subwoofer. If they wanted to create a full range speaker, why not just use some larger drivers (larger than the 5.25) and perhaps more of them...the speaker would be harder to drive, but then it would make more sense to not use a subwoofer.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it just seems like a lot of extra effort and money for something that could be accomplished a lot easier.

8. stephen shadow

Point is how it sounds. Mark would not have included the amp if he did not think it made a major contribution to the sound of the speakers. The amplified woofer will also be compatible with the R-DES EQ system soon to be released. IMO I think the best use for the sub in the 1000s is for high def music where you can leave out the system sub. Regarding the previous comment regarding "extra money", I do not know of any competing design with these features, quality, rosewood veneer cabinet all for less than $3K.

9. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Extra money only in that I wonder how much it would cost to add a midrange to the 750s, which is supposedly what the 850s are, in comparison to what the 1000s cost.

I was not aware that these speakers use a veneer. If that is the case, just for discussion's sake, the Paradigm Studio 100s have a veneer, go almost as low, have very high quality parts, and are about 2k. I'd still like to see a frequency response chart for the 750s if anybody knows where I can find one.

10. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Of course everyone has their own opinion so heres mine. I spent alot of time with Paridigm and was almost sold until I got a Rocket sample. Paridigms do sound good even though I preferred the Rocket and there was no comparison on the build quality. I'd definantly give that to Rocket as well hands down.

The only thing nice about Paridigms is you can usualy demo them and take them immediatly home if its a big dealer. No waiting....

11. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

When you say the build quality of the Rockets wins hands down, in what ways do you mean? From their specs, the studio 100s are considerably heavier than the 750s. If it's appearance, I agree, the Rockets look a lot better, but I don't really care about looks. And if it's parts, I guess I would have to take your word, but I believe Mark's company picks and chooses the best parts they can find, whereas I know Paradigm designs and builds all their own.

I know that after reading that it may sound like I am biased towards the digms, but I'm not. I want to give the Rockets and the Paradigms a fair chance. I can get all the info on the studio 100s I want and I can drive a few minutes and listen to them. With the Rockets, I can't seem to find any legitimate reviews (ones that include frequency response charts) and I still have yet to listen to them.

12. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I have a pair RS1000s, and two pairs of RS750s, as well as a "Bigfoot" RSC200 center channel.

First of all, they are not 2 or 3 way designs.

The RS750 is basically a 5 way speaker. The 4 5.25" drivers do not all get the same signal. They form a progessive matrix array. The lower the frequencies the more of the 5.25" drivers the frequencies go to. The RSC1000 is then a 7 way speaker.

Neither overpowers the center. The RS1000 has the same familial sound as the other Rockets. It sounds different from the RS750, but in a good way.

13. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

The ability of a speaker to play full range without a subwoofer is a very good thing. For multichannel audio it is great. If all of them were really capable of full range sound you wouldn't need to mess with bass management, or bass redirection. I used to listen to 2 channel music with 750s and a subwoofer. Now I use the 1000s without a subwoofer. I definitely prefer the latter.

14. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

It's not going to provide all the performance because it's missing the powered 8" driver, and the package is that much smaller. It's only 6" shorter.

15. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Pretty much every speaker made uses a veneer. You're not going to find a speaker make from a solid wood. The Rockets use real rosewood veneer, not a cheap vinyl one like some other speakers.

The Rockets have a build quality and a fit and finish that is way beyond anything else in their price range.

16. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

"The ability of a speaker to play full range without a subwoofer is a very good thing. For multichannel audio it is great. If all of them were really capable of full range sound you wouldn't need to mess with bass management, or bass redirection. I used to listen to 2 channel music with 750s and a subwoofer. Now I use the 1000s without a subwoofer. I definitely prefer the latter."

You may not need bass redirection, but you still need to send the speaker two signals, set a crossover, and use another amp. Unless you have a not so good subwoofer, you retain the musicality that the 8inch woofer provides and gain the ability to go much lower and play more dynamically with a subwoofer. Bass below 60hz is not going to be locatable anyway. Like I said, I don't think it's a bad idea, just a complicated way of doing something that could be done easier and cheaper.

"The lower the frequencies the more of the 5.25" drivers the frequencies go to"

So essentially the highest driver will be working overtime while the lowest gets occassional use...or no? Now when more than that first driver are engaged at hitting a note at once, are they each reduced so that the overall output remains constant, or could this possibly be an explanation as to why I have heard about there being a lack of upper mid-bass? I know I'm being repetitive, but a frequency response chart would sure help me out.

17. stephen shadow

Frequency graphs are nice but except for really bad speakers, are of little value. Most competently designed speakers have good anechoic graphs. How they sound in your room may be very different. You obviously do not listen to the graph. Rocket has a thirty day listening period after purchase. There is also a network of Rocket owners around the country where you can likely get a chance to listen. I don't know why you think the upper bass driver is working overtime. Compared to what, how about a two way where the woofer is always working?? Once again, Mark has been involved in high end speaker design for years including some great designs at Genesis. From an engineering point of view, I do not understand how you can criticize his decisions here unless you have comparable expertise. However, regardless of what engineering theories are debated, the key element of any speaker is how it sounds. You do not need graphs or expertise on design to know if a speaker sounds good to you and accurately produces material you are familiar with. I suspect the thing that will help you out the most is to listen to the speaker.[​IMG]

18. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

I'm not trying to criticize his decisions, and I don't have any comparable expertise. I'm just trying to learn more about these speakers. That said, I have never been a fan of mains with powered woofers, so I would prefer to wait to listen to 850s that I have heard about.

I would still like to hear more impressions of them though.

19. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    The 750's are a very revealing speaker, and are also quite accurate. I am looking forward to trying out the 850's, and yes, they were made with the "I would rather have a separate subwoofer" guy in mind.

PM me your e-mail and I will send you a graph of a pair of 750's measured in room ... at 15 feet.

The 850's are also $800 less than the 1000's ... so a good subwoofer can be purchased for the difference...

20. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I wasn't a fan before either. When I bought my original Infinity Interlude IL40s (that I have since sold) I could have bought IL60s which had a powered woofer, and were otherwise the same speaker. I didn't see the point since I had a subwoofer.

However, nothing beats a solid 2 channel setup without a sub. You don't have run bass management, or worry about redigitizing an analog signal from a SACD player or anything else.