anyone own or have auditioned kit51's?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Philip_G, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Not a lot of info in a search, I'm trying to decide betweent he GR A/V-1 and the kit51.
    guess it's so short it's hard to search for.

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Philip, I wonder why, but the Kit51 never caught on. Adire's been moving on to kits using their new 6" midwoofer which is supposed to be a jack of all trades. I would hazard a guess that they are similar to the A/V-1, maybe with a little better midrange, but noticeably less extended bass. There are other designs besides those that might work great for you; what kind of sound and money are you looking at?

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't get it either, the kit81 seemed popular. Oh well. Only one thread turned up in the DIY forum and it only announced the availability of the 51's. No reviews.

I'm looking to build some inexpensive mains, something small, fairly easy cabinetry, around 200-300 for the kit I suppose. The A/V-1 with the cap upgrade runs just about 300, but danny would be kind enough to send me a loaner pair to try out at home.

The kit 281's are just a bit more than I'd like to spend. What I wanted to build were the floorstanders that speakerpage.com used to sell, but I procrastinated too long [​IMG]

have to admit I haven't been following stuff lately, it just makes me want to buy things...

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Yeah, they're actually getting rid of the Kit81 and 281 in favor of the new 61 and 261 which are more expensive. I don't know why, since there's still a market for them. Anyway, everyone and their mother has some kind of minimonitor design out there. There are some particularly interesting ones using these new aluminum cone drivers from Dayton that are very good. I built speakers for my parents using the 8" ones ($350 total for the pair) which are downright amazing. Here's a design you may be interested in.

http://www.eldamar.net/audio/RS150MTM/

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

interesting.
    I'm using a pair of the BR-1 parts express daytons for rear surrounds, I broke them in as mains and was pretty pleased with them for the cost, but want something a tad better this time around.

I'll check those out, thanks!

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

those look promising, 107 bucks for the 4 daytons from PE and about 60 for the seas tweeters from madisound, say another 60 for the xover components and it's right in line with what I want to spend. Maybe I'll just build 3 and replace my CC as well.

7. Johnson Nguyen

Johnson Nguyen Auditioning

So Philip, did you get the KIT51's or building your speakers from PE?