Anyone own Coin-Op systems??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith M., Feb 14, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I was considering purchasing the new Galaga/Ms.Pac Man/Pac Man machine and was wondering if anyone here owns their own Co-Op Arcade machine...

Is there anything I should be aware of before this big purchase??

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

oh man.... I have wanted a coin-op for years! The one I want most is either NBA Jam or Blitz.
    (very jealous [​IMG] )

3. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I've been debating picking up a console version of Tecmo Bowl for years. My wife isn't too keen on that kind of cost for just one game... but wouldn't it be the coolest?

Tecmo Bowl Arcade

Glen

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

My Sister and in-laws own a bunch. They are fairly hassle free, about all I would say is they do break down a bit (video games go through extreme use usually) so be prepared to go in with a soldering iron now and again. Also, put a little breaker button or somesuch that gives you free plays, much easier than using quarters.

The good news is the cases are somewhat universal, so if you change the main board from Pac Man to Ms. Pac Man, as long as it has the proper number of joysticks and buttons, it should work. This makes the first video game $$$ and then the additional main boards only $.

I have to admit I have always wanted a real pinball machine, good luck! [​IMG]

5. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I remember that Michael St. Clair (hope I spelled that right) has a Tempest machine.

Of any arcade machine. Tempest is definitey my first choice to own. The problem with Tempest, which I know from years of being a rabid fan, and working in an Arcade, is that the dial control is not very durable. I found many Tempest machines with broken or malfunctioning dials.

Aside from that, I'd like Robotron, Q-Bert, or Galaga...and probably a few I can't remember.

But, given that I have zero space for such a thing, I'll happily settle for Mame emulation!

6. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

What I'd like to know is where to find theses? Besides Ebay of course.

As a kid my mom found Missle Command and Pengo somewhere and suprised my sister and I one weekend. Man, we had hours of fun with those games.

7. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I have a dedicated Cloak and Dagger machine (only 20 made), a Star Wars machine, and a Landing High Japan.

In the future, an Asteroids Deluxe will grace my pad as well

8. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

Does a MAME cabinet count? It looks and plays like the real thing. Even has real arcade controls. Plus it's the only way I can fit 1000+ video games in my house [​IMG]

9. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

There were only 20 cloak and dagger games made??? What are the odds that one of them would have been in the little convenience store right next to my house growing up? Man i loved that game. That would certainly explain why i've had such a hard time finding one again.

BTW, i owned a star wars pinball game a few years ago, and pinball games definitely require more maintenence to upkeep than video games.

10. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

i'm sorry, my mistake. I didn't realize at first what dedicated meant. So there were more Cloak & Dagger games made, but they were conversions of other games.

11. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

No one has mentioned anything about cost... I was thinking of getting a couple machines for my basement...

What are the price ranges from something simple (say..Galaga)... to something a little more "complicated"/"newer" (say... Golden Tee)...

Are we talking $400... or are we talking $1500?

12. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Actually, since galaga is considered a "classic" you'll have to pay a lot more for it than you would a lot of games from the late 80's. I don't know about newer games like golden tee, but for galaga i would expect around $1000, you could probably find a lesser known game for about $200-300 though.

13. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

A good friend of mine has two Daytona cabnets with the seats and steering wheels. He usually gets 4 guys together and makes some variation of a drinking game with it, total blast. He repairs them for a living so he usually has an arcade setup in his shop and can get them at a pretty good price. Check your yellow pages for large game repair or supply, should turn up a few leads for you.

14. Stacey R

Stacey R Extra

I live in the Atlanta area and my girlfriend and I are going to an auction next week, February 22nd, at the Lakewood fairgrounds. The auction is going to feature vintage arcade machines. If I'm not mistaken you can check out the machines before bidding starting around 8:00am and then actual auction starts at 10:00am. We're hoping to add one machine to the hometheater for no more that $400.

Stacey

15. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

I'd get it, not that it would fit in my apartment. [​IMG]

There are three games I would flat-out kill to have arcade cabinets of:
    1. Captain America & The Avengers (best beat-em 'up ever!)
    2. Xenophobe (oh did I ever LOVE this game as a kid)
    3. Dance Dance Revolution! DDR rocks and having a full arcade set-up would just be heaven...

Ah, to dream.

16. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

17. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

I own three... Donkey Kong 3, Magical Spot, and Black Tiger (a fave from my youth). I also bought about 5 from a arcade that was closing for my work. thses were a real steal, Marvel vs Capcom $300... I wish i would have had more $$ at the time, I would have cleaned them out.

18. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

I have three cabinets all of which are JAMMA-capable:

1. Capcom Impress w/ Alien Vs. Predator (currently) inside.
    2. Neo Geo Candy 4-Slot w/ (at this moment) MS1,2,3 and Mark of the Wolves.
    3. One vertical cab with Cave's Guwange (this week, at least).

Each cab cost me ~$300 a couple of years back and all are Japanese-bred, sitdown units with 29" monitors.

I got mine from an eBay seller named Arcadestuff (the first from ebay, the other two from his shop).

I'd be very careful, however, about buying arcade cabs sight unseen as you can never really know what you're going to get.

19. James T

James T Screenwriter

My uncle has Street Fighter II. When I heard about this, my jaw dropped and I got over there as soon as I could. I was disapointed when I showed up though. It was "Street Fighter III". It was that hacked up Street Fighter II game you saw at Chinatown that was advertised as number III. Still, I had fun, even though my uncle charged my a quarter a game. Luckily, I found the key for the coin storage and got my money back.

My other uncle has a pinball game. Complete with the flashing lights. It also has that function when it stops working when you tilt the machine

20. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

My Dream Game to Own: Street Fighter Alpha 2